Sponsored by:

new deck

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-08, 10:30 PM
thinhthan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new deck

i was planning on putting a new deck into my 92 sc400 but i cant find like a radio dash kit for the sc. does anyone know where i can get one? and is there there a way i can hook a deck up and still use the stock sub? and about wiring a sub, how can i run the wires? what about the gas tank that is in between the trunk and the inside?
Old 05-28-08, 10:38 PM
andrewwake
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dash kit... haven't seen any manufactured, many custom though.
stock sub... run through the amp, should be the amp wiring on the head unit.
wiring sub... same process.
gas tank... as long as you take off the backrest of the rear seat, and the liner in the trunk, you should be able to see through and see where the stock wiring goes.
Old 05-28-08, 10:52 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

there is no dash kit for our cars.

if you want to do a cd receiver in your SC and use the factory speakers you should go and buy the Metra MET-708112 harness. get a head unit that has at least 2 sets of rca preouts. front and rear rca preouts. alpine is chit these days. if you want a really good quality radio buy an older alpine such as the CDA-9813, 9815, 7998(no internal amp). some of the best sounding radio you can get for the money. these radios are older and you can find them most likely in mom and pop shops or ebay. i bought a few alpines off ebay and they worked great.

currently i have the alpine cda-7998. its a cd player only, meaning it does not have a built in amp. the way to use this radio is only through rca preouts. the best radio i have ever heard. its is 4 years old and still sells for about 200-300 bucks used.

this harness will use the radios low level output and directly input it into the factory amplifier. no need to splice into any wiring or take anything apart. take the dash off and mount the radio. the sc radio is a 2.5din size. to make the dash look decent you can get the single din radio, a universal storage pocket, and also a small pocket that comes with ford dash kits. not the best way but it makes it simple.

i made my own dash kit for my alpine. ill post pics of it tomorrow.

using an aftermarket deck and factory amp/speakers with the metra met-708112 sounds actually very good. my car is a 93 and when i first got, before i installed my system, i did this and even with old worn out speakers it still sounded pretty good.
Old 05-28-08, 11:07 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

5sp_jzz30,

great info! i know nothing about car audio and i'm looking to replace my stock stuff here soon, i'm not gonna lie though i think my factory system sounds great, i don't know if the owner upgraded anything but its still the stock head unit and i guess stock speakers and sub? it's still using the 12 disc changer.

I've always heard that if i replace just the head unit my factory sub won't work? with the setups your talking about is that just the speakers working or the sub as well?

i'd honestly like to upgrade one thing at a time i've just been worried that if i replace my headunit my stock sub won't work..
Old 05-29-08, 09:25 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

this is the pics of my install.

when the car is off

i made this plastic trim ring to cover up the super big radio space

the amount of space not covered if you get a double din

one more

aka_paco

im not sure on the sub issue. i bought my car and for some reason it was removed but everything else worked great. my stock system lasted about a week in the car. after that i ripped everything out and installed my won stuff.

i put in the following:

alpine cda-7998 head unit(best one i have ever owned...and i owned a lot of them)
infinity kappa perfect front components
infinity reference rear components
polk momo c400.4 4 channel amp
polk momo c500.1 mono sub amp
kicker single 12" comp VX enclosure
ipod interface
XM radio tuner...lifetime subscription free of charge...courtesy of circuit city(i bought the tuner box used, open box, and called to activate it. i worked at the store so i knew some of them sold were not deactivated. over the phone i asked on the account status and she said it was still active under CC account. i just told her to resend the signal . havent paid for that chit in 2 years)

all monster interconnects and wiring as well.
Old 05-29-08, 02:49 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

nice install, thanks for the info though it's definetly helpful i guess i need to just start collecting it and do it all at once if i'm worried about the sub issue lol
Old 05-29-08, 11:53 PM
thinhthan
Driver School Candidate

does anyone know how to install a deck and still use the stock sub?
Old 06-06-08, 12:09 AM
thinhthan
Driver School Candidate

so that bottom pieces is from a ford dash kit?