Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

The "BEST" sound...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-08 | 01:07 AM
Member1115
Pit Crew

Default The "BEST" sound...

Hey everyone. I have a 92 SC4 with stock Nakamichi sound system in it. I believe some speakers have already blown out and therefore time to replace.

My question to you all is whether I can achieve best sound quality by replacing speakers with OEM Nakamichi, or aftermarkets? Im not really looking to get in there and change out head unit and amp any time soon. So just not sure which way to best go with regarding replacement of speakers.

Im not looking to advertise music from 2 blocks away, just get the type of sound quality you could expect from the brand name factors such as Lexus and Nakamichi working together.

I was always told that its best to go with OEM all the way around as much as possible since though the high levels of power ratings may not be there as with some aftermarket speakers and amps, the adequate power and fidelity will be there since all items (assuming Nakamichi head unit, amp, speakers) were designed and engineered to work with one another. This as opposed to mixing non OEM with OEM items and creating a lack of, or excess of power capacities to and from amps to speakers. Hope that last part made sense. I think I just confused the heck out of myself.

Then again, Im sure at the very least, it could be a matter of opinion if not technically true.

So I was just curious to see if anyone could help me out with this. I really want to know which way to go, based on your advice, so I can hopefully get this project ouf of the way ASAP.

Thanks in advance to all.
Old 05-30-08 | 09:24 AM
Member1115
Pit Crew

Anyone???

I just want to get some of you all's opinion on this before I go out and buy something that isnt going to give me the sound quality that I want. I know eBay has tons of speakers to drop in, but I would hate to go the wrong route on buying OEM vs aftermarket or vice versa.

So please help out ... what will give me a better quality sound with stock Nakamichi head unit and amp... OEM speakers or aftermarket?

Thanks again.
Old 05-30-08 | 09:34 AM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

If you get decent aftermarket stuff they will always sound better than OEM. Premium systems (Nak, ML..ect) do sound better than just the basic factory systems but still no where close to good aftermarket components.
Old 05-30-08 | 10:20 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Upgrade to aftermarket speakers. When I first started mine I replaced the stocks with MB Quart speakers and ran it through the factory amp. Sound quality was MUCH improved.
Old 05-31-08 | 01:45 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Upgrade to aftermarket speakers. When I first started mine I replaced the stocks with MB Quart speakers and ran it through the factory amp. Sound quality was MUCH improved.
Hi Mark! Gerren told me about your new gig - congrats buddy! Your presence is missed in TLN.

Sorry to hijack, back to your regularly scheduled programming......