Sponsored by:

Sound problem, need some help with amp and sub to OEM Nav unit

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-08, 10:11 AM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound problem, need some help with amp and sub to OEM Nav unit

Hey guys, so I got my amp and sub installed to my factory navigation system, and needless to say, I'm a bit disappointed. It sounds nothing like when I had it in my old car with an aftermarket deck. Got the mtx thunder 4001 amp with 12" pioneer champion sub:

I hear a lot of the deep background bass, and the bass level does not sound clean. Some of the lighter bass, it doesn't pick up, i have to adjust my bass level control pretty frequently. So to sum it up, i had a less powerful amp and sub with an after market deck, and it sounded a lot better and clean.

I called the shop, and they said because it's connected to my factory Nav. unit, it will not sound like what I had before, unless I go with what's called a "clean sweep" which they quoted 1500+ dollar to do, and that will make my system sound just like it was connected with a aftermarket deck.

What can I do here guys, I know a lot of you connected amps and subs to factory unit. I really don't feel like spending $1500+ dollars on this "clean sweep" thing. I just want the bass to be more consistant and cleaner, and doesn't pick up the heavy background bass.

Really appreciate any help!
Old 06-09-08, 03:44 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

any inputs guy? I just feel like its a waste of money when it doesn't sound right
Old 06-10-08, 09:58 AM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

I've never owned a cleansweep but I'll share what I do know about it. It's made by JL Audio and basically it's a high tech low level converter. It takes the signal from your stock system and flattens it out (getting rid of all the spikes and dips in the signal) and sends this to your amp(s). The end result should be a cleaner signal but it really depends on how clean the signal is coming from your stock headunit.

I don't see how it'll cost $1500 to install the thing when they're only about $400 new and ~$300 used. I guess they have to tune it properly? I don't know.
Old 06-11-08, 05:35 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

Thanks JT. Yeah, it's disappointing that it produces too much low end bass, and it's annoying, some songs pick up only the low end bass and my speakers picks up the rest. Have you heard of Re-Q? some one recommended that.
Old 06-13-08, 09:56 PM
LexGX
Pole Position

That does not sound right. I have a system hooked up to my factory dvd nav and it sounds quite nice. Maybe its your amp. What are your settings on it? When you installed your system, did you connect your amp to a low level converter?
Old 06-13-08, 11:21 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

Hey LexGX, yes, they installed something called a "suntech line lev. adaptor", i'm assuming that's what you call a low level converter?

They said my amp is good, but i need to change my sub to a JL W3, because it pumps more air, and will sound nicer. But my problem is not not pumping enough air, it's that the low end bass is really strong, i need to get rid of it. Personally I think my sub is good enough, it's a dual 4 ohm and that's what they told me to get, and it's at RMS 400watts and max 1200 watts.

There' a gain and bass boost control on my amp, gain is set at 90% and bass boost set at about 80%. I have a bass control **** installed near the dash to control my bass. What would you suggest? I know this is not right, since many of us have OEM head unit hooked up to aftermarket amp and subs, and if this was a problem, some one would definitly mentioned about it before me.
Old 06-14-08, 01:42 PM
D_W_E_85
Rookie

They are just trying to get more money out of you. You don't need to change you sub or amp as long as your amp has user friendly settings. I can install a Cleansweep but in my opinon it's a waste unless you upgrade all speakers. It doesn't really do to much for the signal going to the sub. I had the same problem with my sub when I first got it back and they tried to tell me it was because of the fact that I had fiberglass and not a ported box. A Ported box will give you a crisper bass sound but it won't hit as hard. What I did to fix mine was adjust the settings on my amp. Check to see if your amp has a subsonic filter switch. When I turned mine on it got rid of all the static sounding bass, it's sounds like the same thing you had. I also had to crank up the low pass filter to 170 Hz so that I could hit the higher bass and dampen some of the low bass. There has been a few threads on here about this same issue and if you find that messing with your amp doesn't do the trick, check out some of the other threads pertaining to IS250 audio systems. The cleansweep would be a waste of money in your situation, I couldn't find it real quick but someone posted a much cheaper device that worked much better for this piticular problem. If I find I'll add it to this thread.
Old 06-14-08, 01:44 PM
D_W_E_85
Rookie

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=292476

Scroll down to post #9 and this is what I was talking about. This might be more of what you're looking for. I'd try the amp config first if you know your amp pretty well.
Old 06-14-08, 03:36 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

D_W_E_85, thanks for your recommendation. Yeah, I thought that's what they wanted to do as well, since I didn't buy any thing from them, but just paid them for the labor, they probably want to squeez something out of me. Funny thing is, I email the guy I set up my install with, after just 1 email from him replying back, I had more questions, so I emailed back again, but he actually blocked my email address, I can send him emails from other addresses but not my original one. "Great" service!! >.<

I will try to play around with the setting, it's probably better to have a friend tune it for me while i'm in the car. I didn't think I need to change the amp and sub either. I had a 12 in MTX sub(less powerful) and a MTX roadthunder amp (LOL) in my dad's Regal with an aftermarket amp, and it pounded. Well, plus the Regal's noise reduction is not half as good as the Lexus. I know our trunk is all metal or something that's why it does not sound as good. I'll try it out. Thanks!
Old 06-15-08, 06:23 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexboi250
Hey LexGX, yes, they installed something called a "suntech line lev. adaptor", i'm assuming that's what you call a low level converter?
Try a different LOC. I've had good luck with the cheap Scosche brand from Wal-Mart. With their return policy, you can try it and return it if it doesn't work.

They said my amp is good, but i need to change my sub to a JL W3, because it pumps more air, and will sound nicer.
Typical uninformed car audio salesperson.

There' a gain and bass boost control on my amp, gain is set at 90% and bass boost set at about 80%. I have a bass control **** installed near the dash to control my bass. What would you suggest?
Turn the bass boost off immediately! See the link on how bass boost kills speakers - link. Also read Amplifier Gain and Crossover Setting Tutorial.

Originally Posted by D_W_E_85
I also had to crank up the low pass filter to 170 Hz
Does that pull your soundstage to the rear of the car? I've tried using crossover settings up to 120hz but I find that I can easily locate where the bass is coming from. I like mine set at 80hz or even 60hz.

-Robert
Old 06-15-08, 08:30 AM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Robert_J
Try a different LOC. I've had good luck with the cheap Scosche brand from Wal-Mart. With their return policy, you can try it and return it if it doesn't work.

Typical uninformed car audio salesperson.

Turn the bass boost off immediately! See the link on how bass boost kills speakers - link. Also read Amplifier Gain and Crossover Setting Tutorial.

Does that pull your soundstage to the rear of the car? I've tried using crossover settings up to 120hz but I find that I can easily locate where the bass is coming from. I like mine set at 80hz or even 60hz.

-Robert

Hi Robert, those are some very helpful links, i never knew i need to turn off bass boost. I'm not sure where they put the LOC, any idea where it might be? I'll probably pick up the Scosche LOC from walmart, could I install it myself? I'm gonna try settings with bass boost off and see if i still hear low end bass.
Old 06-15-08, 10:50 AM
D_W_E_85
Rookie

The soundstaging has nothing to do with your crossover. The staging is setup from the Headunit and where ever you set your fade and balance to. I have no problem with the staging in my car. The IS250 has great staging and even has a driver setting to stage the sound for when the driver is only in the car. I think it sounds amazing.
Old 06-15-08, 11:58 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

I'm not sure where they put the LOC, any idea where it might be? I'll probably pick up the Scosche LOC from walmart, could I install it myself?
No idea. When I install one, I put it either close to the amp or near where I tapped into the speaker wires. Whatever is easiest to hide. The last one I used was on a Dodge Magnum when I installed a sub. It took about 30 minutes to install. If you can find yours, it will take about 5 minutes to disconnect the old one and wire in the new one.

Originally Posted by D_W_E_85
The soundstaging has nothing to do with your crossover. The staging is setup from the Headunit and where ever you set your fade and balance to. I have no problem with the staging in my car. The IS250 has great staging and even has a driver setting to stage the sound for when the driver is only in the car. I think it sounds amazing.
Soundstage is where your brain thinks the sound is coming from. Even if I fade to the front, if there are frequencies that are easily localized coming from the sub it will pull it to the rear. I can tell where a sub is when it is playing above 100 hz. Definitely when playing at 120hz or even higher. I shudder to think what your system would sound like to ME. You are satisfied with it and that is all that matters.

But if you want to read up more on the subject, the guys at DIY Mobile Audio forum are hard core sound quality nuts. You rarely see a teenager with a walled off SUV. These guys spend time integrating quality systems into quality cars.

-Robert
Old 06-15-08, 02:24 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

so I played with the settings, turned of bass boost, adjusted the gain(without the reader), I'm still getting low end bass. You'll be listening to a song with the perfect bass, then all of a sudden the low end bass kicks in and it just totally ruins it so i guess Scosche is the way to go then? basically i wasted my money going with their line level controller that's what you guys are saying...
Old 06-16-08, 09:35 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Is your amp's SSF turned on? (see page 11 in the owner's manual)

-Robert

Quick Reply: Sound problem, need some help with amp and sub to OEM Nav unit