Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

looking to get video and music from ipod to eclipse unit, will this work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-08, 01:18 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default looking to get video and music from ipod to eclipse unit, will this work?

I am going to be installing my avn5435 unit soon and would like video and music from my ipod. the thing is i do not wish to use the eclipse adapter (ip 106) cos of its crappy and limited effeiciency in connection with the wvn5435(u won't have video and also won't have full control of ipod through avn5435).
So i researched and realized one could use a ipod RCA cable with video and audio and hook it to the avn5435's VTR input.
that way, i will be able to view video from my ipod on the eclipse and also music from my ipod through the avn5435.
catch is, there will be no control except through the ipod only. but thats what i want cos as indicated the ipod adapter from eclipse is crappy. (as a matter of fact, i believe the avn6620 series upwards are the only ones that give full control of ipo features through the headunit. And even this way u stillm don't get video, just songs from the ipod).

Anyways, i searched for an ipod to VTR connector and found quite a bunch on ebay.
My problem is i dont want the ones that connects through the headphone jack but rather prefer one that connects through the base of the ipod.reason being, i would like the cable to charge the ipod at the same time.
i found these on ebay:

So does anyone know if the ones above will also charge the ipod when hooked up or not?
Or should i get these below that have an additional power wire to be hooked up to 12v to charge the ipod.

Any advice, tips, recommendations or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
olddog

Last edited by olddog; 06-10-08 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-10-08, 02:27 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

yes, currently with the eclipse headunits that is the only way to get videos to play on the eclipse screens. they do not have a video ipod adapter.
Old 06-10-08, 03:19 PM
olddog
Pole Position

i know...
but will the cables i posted above charge the ipod is my concern.... either way i think am going to for the one with the additional 12v power source..
Old 06-10-08, 03:55 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

the last two will because they have power and ground leads coming off of them.
Old 06-10-08, 05:49 PM
olddog
Pole Position

alright cool....thankds alot.
i will buy one of the last two and let everyone know how it works.
at least i will be able to enjoy video from my ipod
Old 06-10-08, 08:08 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

they work decent, you have to control from the ipod itself. sound and video is pretty decent. for $20-$40 it's not a bad addition to your setup.
Old 06-11-08, 03:52 PM
olddog
Pole Position

ended up getting one locally that doesn't charge the ipod. i guess i can always use my ipod charger in the car when its dying.
i have installed it with the eclipse yet but tested it on my TV in the house.
video is not bad. i would give it 7 or 8 out of 10.
audio quality from videos through ipod coming out of the TV is very good. i would sy 9 out 10. plus u can adjust settings through ipod and also adjust settings on TV. (audio settings and video).
i couldn't get music to play from the ipod through the Tv though. not sure what i was doing or not doing wrong. i have all cables plugged in but when i go into music and play a song, there is no signal from ipod to TV. when i play a video though, it works fine with audio.
Old 06-12-08, 08:45 PM
olddog
Pole Position

well,
i hooked up the ipod to the eclipse avn5435 through the VTR but nothing shows up on the screen when i play videos. i am using the same setting that i used when it played on the t.v
anybody have any idea how to get the ipod show up on the screen on the nav system through the VTR mode?
Old 06-18-08, 07:56 AM
olddog
Pole Position

so i ended up getting one that connects through the headphone jack.
that means the ipod is facing upside down when placed down.
if i buy one like this that connects through the bottom, can i just cut both heads and swap them?
will the wires be matching?
reason why i cannnot just remove the old one is that i already ran it through my centre armrest and don't wish to uninstall my entire system just for that. moreso, i would like to have the cable extended.
so in plain terms,
can i snap the plug in (the headphone plug)of this

and use the head of this in its place

thanks

olddog
Old 06-18-08, 12:03 PM
kingomar
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have an avn5495 and dealt with this problem a while back . i went with the keyspan tuneview ipod adapter. it hooks up through the vtr and plays both video and audio while charging the ipod. i have the ipod out of sight and easily control it with the tuneview's remote. here is a link for the product: http://www.keyspan.com/products/tvi200c/

it is a little pricey, but works great. picture quality is good and its easy to control.
Old 06-18-08, 06:11 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Default hey

Originally Posted by kingomar
i have an avn5495 and dealt with this problem a while back . i went with the keyspan tuneview ipod adapter. it hooks up through the vtr and plays both video and audio while charging the ipod. i have the ipod out of sight and easily control it with the tuneview's remote. here is a link for the product: http://www.keyspan.com/products/tvi200c/

it is a little pricey, but works great. picture quality is good and its easy to control.
but i already got it to work.
i have good video, audio and picture quality from videos and songs from the ipod on the avn5435. what i just wanted to know was if it would be possible to just chop off both heads of both kinds of cables and interswap them cos one connects from top(headphone jack) and the other from the bottom(ipod jack). i was too impatient to order the one that connects through the bottom from ebay and ended up getting the one that connects from on top locally.
i guess i will have to experiment.