Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Which Is The Better Amp For My Subs??

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-08, 12:17 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok great, well mostly the music I listen to is Rap, Hip-Hop, Trance, Techno, Reggaeton, and a little bit of rock ... I listen to all types of music, but I just want to make sure I have nice deep bass that is crisp and smooth without any distortion or anything ... Cartronix in Miami is going to be doing my install, do you know of any other reputable shops in the S. FLA/MIA area?
Old 06-27-08, 02:10 PM
12volt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TruePlaya/RobertJ

Wow...some of the statements in this thread concern me.

My name is Jake Braaten and I am the Director of Product Development and Marketing for Rockford Fosgate and more importantly a long time CL member. Any questions you guys have regarding Rockford....you can always contact me on here or at the office.

Jake.Braaten@Rockfordcorp.com
480-517-3150

Trueplaya--Try not to get caught up in what people think Rockford is or was. Its like arguing Ford vs Chevy without any facts. However, I can tell you that I just got out of a meeting with over 20 people that are busting their *** to design, engineer and market the best product and service available right here in Arizona. (great time of year to do amplifier thermal testing by the way)

If anyone can show you (with facts) why another brand is better than a Rockford, or features you would like to see, let me know and I will improve ours. At the end of the day our goal is to deliver world class products, technical support, and materials, and if we are not living up to your expectations....I need to know.

After 25 years of developing speakers and amplfiers.....I believe we are still delivering world class products and service.
Old 06-27-08, 03:32 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<thread jack>hey 12volt i am curious if circuit city has contacted Rockford about carrying Rockford products? i have heard rumors of circuit talking to a possible 2 new companies. i don't know if you would know about this or not. just curious<end thread jack>
Old 06-27-08, 03:36 PM
12volt
Pole Position

Just sent you a PM
Old 06-27-08, 04:51 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Hey 12 volt ... I wish you would have chimed in earlier since I really wanted a Rockford amp to power my subs but i couldn't find the one that particularly suited my needs, this sundown amp i purchased looks like it will have plenty of power for them. I don't know how the RF company works but if you're willing to send me one of your amps that rivals the sundown I'll do an in-depth comparison of the two to the best of my abilities, maybe this could help your R&D for future RF products ... And once again I don't think anyone really said anything negative about RF, you guys have always been a solid company and one of my favorites alongside MB Quart (which I have heard you 2 are working together now?) ... If you're interested PM me please ...

-Thanks
Old 06-27-08, 07:06 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

12volt does the new RF amp have fuses on them. i know my older punch amp does, or does the amp rely on the mosfet technology.
Old 06-28-08, 09:08 AM
@lpher
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 12volt
After 25 years of developing speakers and amplfiers.....I believe we are still delivering world class products and service.
I for one...couldnt agree more
Old 06-30-08, 09:09 AM
12volt
Pole Position

Yes PK, the MOSFETs have the ability to protect themselves up to a certain limit. Our testing has shown that with an inline fuse holder by the battery, the amps internal protection circuits and the combination of MOSFETs....on board fusing was just not necessary.
Old 06-30-08, 09:32 AM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
Hey 12 volt ... I wish you would have chimed in earlier since I really wanted a Rockford amp to power my subs but i couldn't find the one that particularly suited my needs, this sundown amp i purchased looks like it will have plenty of power for them. I don't know how the RF company works but if you're willing to send me one of your amps that rivals the sundown I'll do an in-depth comparison of the two to the best of my abilities, maybe this could help your R&D for future RF products ... And once again I don't think anyone really said anything negative about RF, you guys have always been a solid company and one of my favorites alongside MB Quart (which I have heard you 2 are working together now?) ... If you're interested PM me please ...

-Thanks
You will not be disappointed with the sundown. It is a solid amp. A few people actually have it running at .5 ohms (upgraded electrical). The owner Jacob I believe stands behind his products and can easily get in touch with.
Old 06-30-08, 09:39 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jtgs400
You will not be disappointed with the sundown. It is a solid amp. A few people actually have it running at .5 ohms (upgraded electrical). The owner Jacob I believe stands behind his products and can easily get in touch with.
Good to know, thanks man
Old 06-30-08, 10:40 AM
12volt
Pole Position

Tru- A comparison might be a good idea. I was looking at the Sundown and it looks very similiar to our LA line if amplifiers, but that is just at a glance. Nothing against Sundown...Im sure they meet spec.

http://www.lightningaudio.com/produc...n_US&p_status=

I may pick one up to compare all three. At RF one of our major concerns is thermal time, which is a direct result of heatsink mass and/or cooling design. Most manufacturers (with the rising costs of raw materials) are pulling aluminum out of their products. RF is not one of them. Our goal is to have an amplifer that not only meets its specifications but does them under harsh and long term conditions.

A thermal/Power test should be interesting....Anyone care to trade for one? Or maybe I can just buy one from Jacob....Ill take a look.

Its good to see more manufactures building better products...it makes the whole industry that much better.

Last edited by 12volt; 06-30-08 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-30-08, 12:49 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ive always had a concern about the mosfet technology. i know jl audio has the same thing. but dang i still blasted my JL 500/1 to pieces some how on just 2 W3. thats why i started to buy amps with onboard fuses now.
Old 06-30-08, 12:59 PM
12volt
Pole Position

Most of the time it is something unrelated to the MOSFET, that passed through QC that becomes the weak link. We have had to add over 350 test points over the years to catch many different scenerios.
Old 06-30-08, 01:25 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 12volt
Most of the time it is something unrelated to the MOSFET, that passed through QC that becomes the weak link. We have had to add over 350 test points over the years to catch many different scenerios.
nice, well I'll more than likey be going to you guys whenever i change out the rest of my speakers, make sure you have something good for me ... and a great discount for CL members
Old 06-30-08, 01:29 PM
12volt
Pole Position

Id throw out a pic of the new component speakers coming....but its still a little early in the year. Ill make sure to give CL the first sneek peek. They have to be good.....they are not going into production until they sound good enough for my 460L.

Quick Reply: Which Is The Better Amp For My Subs??