Sponsored by:

Gave Up On IB! Went With Sealed JL W7

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-08, 02:32 PM
charmz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gave Up On IB! Went With Sealed JL W7

Well all this time and money spent on this damn IB bull-**** was all a waste!

I decided to take my loss and go a route I know I would be satisfied with...I wanted to find the MOST PUNCH in a setup that would take the LEAST amount of trunk space..... This is what I went with

I have a 10" JL W7 with the JL ProWedge Sealed Box
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_e...=5&prod_id=302

Now my question.......
Will my Elemental Designs NINe.2x Amp be able to power this thing ?

Another concern, the amp will be in 4ohm while the sub is 3ohm

Robert.....?
Help!!!!!

lol
Old 06-25-08, 02:54 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

I will not answer yes or no to any question that has too many variables or is too vague. You will get my standard, long winded answer.

The 9.2x will power the sub. Heck, a head unit will power the sub but do a poor job. Will the 9.2x be able to drive a 3 ohm nominal load? Probably. Every sub has what is called "impedance rise" when installed in an enclosure. Also, the 3 ohm rating of the sub is nominal or average. Impedance varies with frequency. So unless I have the Theile/Small parameters and the enclosure volume, I'm not 100% sure. But I have read at ICIX where people have bridged a 9.2x into a 2 ohm load.

Also you wanted "punch". That means you like a high Qtc sub/enclosure combination that has an un-natural hump around the 50 to 60 hz range. Did you model your sub/enclosure combination to see if they would meat your goals?

-Robert
Old 06-25-08, 03:13 PM
charmz
Lead Lap

I like CLEAN / DEEP / RESPONSIVE bass....

But I like it LOUD!

I guess the term "punch" was incorrect. That brings a first-to-mind description of hard-pounding bass - which is not what im into.

I still cant figure out how to adjust the gain properly either. I have my volt meter here and I was told by Alex to adjust the gain until the amp outputs 49 volts ac? To be honest I dunno what the heck im doing....

Is that correct? I cant figure out what im doing wrong or if I have setup my volt meter incorrect.... here is a pic of it can you tell me the correct settings please Robert........

Thanks....im a real dummy when it comes to these really specific scientific things.

Old 06-26-08, 07:10 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

On the bottom pic, see the hole that is labled COM. That is the common ground for measuring all things. The black lead should be plugged into it. The red plug should be plugged into the hold labeled 20A.

The dial should be set to one of the V settings. I'm not familiar with that meter (mine is much simpler). Check the manual for what you need to do to read an AC voltage. The sine wave you play to set the gain is the same as checking the voltage in your home.

For deep, responsive bass you need to have a low Qtc sub system. Again, I can't help you with that without the T/S parameters of the sub and the enclosure volume.

-Robert