Sponsored by:

Security Cameras when car off

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-08, 01:07 PM
ISFfan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security Cameras when car off

Anyone know where I could buy or what brands I could buy a security camera that will record automatically when I turn off the car, or that I can turn onto record when I leave my car?

Sometimes my car is parked in questionable places and I want to be safe...

Thanks!

-nick
Old 07-06-08, 11:26 AM
LxsTekGuy
Driver School Candidate

ISFFan,

Security camera surveillance is a great idea, however there are some snags you'll probably run into if you choose to try and do it.

*Power consumption: Since you're going to be running a system like this when the car is off, and even a slight increase in draw can drain the battery in these cars, you're going to need a second battery and a battery isolation system in order to make sure you'll be able to start the car in the morning. Systems like these are used for people who run extreme car audio systems and need to be able to run them without the engine on.

*Recording: Assuming that somebody steals your car, you're going to be out one very expensive vehicle and a quite costly surveillance system. It would be recommended to have your car record to a remote location if this is a risk.

*Cost: It ain't gonna be cheap.

That being said, I was able to google around and I did find a company that seems to have a pretty good setup *note: I am not affiliated with this company in any way, and it was just the first google result* http://www.mobilewatchman.com/ . I did not look at pricing or anything, but either here or just googling "mobile surveillance" should point you in the right direction.
Old 07-06-08, 02:32 PM
ISFfan
Pole Position

LxsTekGuy:

Thanks so much for your input. I know it would be quite costly, but just the other day my other car way keyed, a horrible tragedy, and in the future if anything like this was to happen, I would like to know who did it. You offered some great insight which I will surely take into consideration.

I appreciate your suggestions.

Originally Posted by LxsTekGuy
ISFFan,

Security camera surveillance is a great idea, however there are some snags you'll probably run into if you choose to try and do it.

*Power consumption: Since you're going to be running a system like this when the car is off, and even a slight increase in draw can drain the battery in these cars, you're going to need a second battery and a battery isolation system in order to make sure you'll be able to start the car in the morning. Systems like these are used for people who run extreme car audio systems and need to be able to run them without the engine on.

*Recording: Assuming that somebody steals your car, you're going to be out one very expensive vehicle and a quite costly surveillance system. It would be recommended to have your car record to a remote location if this is a risk.

*Cost: It ain't gonna be cheap.

That being said, I was able to google around and I did find a company that seems to have a pretty good setup *note: I am not affiliated with this company in any way, and it was just the first google result* http://www.mobilewatchman.com/ . I did not look at pricing or anything, but either here or just googling "mobile surveillance" should point you in the right direction.