Sponsored by:

Drop in 10inch sub

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-08, 12:34 PM
URDONE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drop in 10inch sub

How many of you actually have an aftermarket 10 inch sub, you dropped in the stock location? How does it sound in the rear deck? I know it probably doesn't sound as good as a sub in box, but I am not looking for a lot of bass. Your thoughts?
Old 07-03-08, 12:36 PM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by URDONE
How many of you actually have an aftermarket 10 inch sub, you dropped in the stock location? How does it sound in the rear deck? I know it probably doesn't sound as good as a sub in box, but I am not looking for a lot of bass. Your thoughts?
two words, infinite baffle.
Old 07-03-08, 12:38 PM
URDONE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fuzionn
two words, infinite baffle.
Yeah, that is what I am afraid of.
Old 07-03-08, 01:08 PM
YupImJOee
Lexus Test Driver

I had a 12" kicker c12 in the stock location of my 1st gen GS, and it sucked compared to a box. the bass was kind of there in some songs and not there in other songs. hard to explain you just gotta hear the difference yourself.
Old 07-03-08, 03:46 PM
charmz
Lead Lap

three words...
dont do it.
learn from my mistake
Old 07-04-08, 12:46 PM
URDONE
Lexus Test Driver

Alright. I guess I will kill that thought then.
Old 07-05-08, 06:20 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Alright. I guess I will kill that thought then.
So one person's dissapointment in an IB sub will make you change you mind? I wasn't happy with a ported box I installed back in '90. You need to mark them off your list as well. I'm sure I can find you the same comments on sealed, bandpass and PR boxes as well.

Do a search on IB subs here. I have been a member here for over a year and there is at least a thread a week asking about them.

-Robert
Old 07-06-08, 07:47 AM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i currently installed an eclipse nav system and didn't want to use a box or change out stock speakers.(at least not now). so i got an Alpine 5channnel amp to run my stock speakers and stock sub.
I have to tell you that am very very impressed with the output of thes 8 year old speakers in the GS.
mY sub is nice and bass is clear. I have in my previous GS had 2 10s in a box so i know the improvement u would get from a box but sometimes its really not worth it or needed.
My speakers are nakamichi though not pioneer if it makes a difference and are 4ohms while the nakamichi sub is 6ohms.
i like it and although i might change the speakers and sub out in the future, i doubt if it will be soon. am really happy with the set up for now and i havent even tuned the amp properly for optimal use.

olddog
Old 07-07-08, 05:49 AM
URDONE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Robert_J
So one person's dissapointment in an IB sub will make you change you mind? I wasn't happy with a ported box I installed back in '90. You need to mark them off your list as well. I'm sure I can find you the same comments on sealed, bandpass and PR boxes as well.

Do a search on IB subs here. I have been a member here for over a year and there is at least a thread a week asking about them.

-Robert
What sub are you running? I wouldnt mind hearing of a good experience.
Old 07-08-08, 06:10 PM
maxim240sx
Driver School Candidate

I'm running a kicker comp 10 in the stock location and it sounds alot better then the stock one. Only have a small alpine amp pushing and I'm fine with the output. Plus I still have a whole trunk for whatever. Its not gonna be a dB monster, but what can you expect for a $60 sub?
Old 07-09-08, 07:09 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

What sub are you running? I wouldnt mind hearing of a good experience.
Stock sub in the ES-350. I finally have the OK from the wife to proceed with with the stereo upgrade but I have to finish my seven speakers and four 18" subs for the theater room first.

In the past, I have run an IB in my Nissan Maxima. I used a Vamp Audio 12" sub. Who is Vamp Audio? They never made it to market. The sub is similar to an Adire Audio Shiva (Dan Wiggin's design and built by Eminence) but it has a dual 4 ohm voice coil. Adire had a blow-out sale a few years ago and I got one. I am currently sub-less in the Maxima as well. The upgraded sub will probably be a Stryke Audio AV12 MK I. That will be an upgrade from a sub with 16mm of xmax to one with 22mm of xmax. Along with a more powerful amp, I should get about a 3db increase in output.

-Robert