Sponsored by:

5 Channel Amp(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-08, 12:23 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 5 Channel Amp(s)?

Okay guys, my PPI bass amp just blew, and I'm tired of running separate bass and speaker amps.

I am currently in the market for a 5 channel amp. A multi channel hybrid Class AB/Class D amp.

This is my current setup. Eclipse AVN 6620 Navi deck, Front Stage: Focal Poly Slim V2 2 ways (6 1/2 mid with 1 inch tweets). Rear Stage: General MB Quart 2 way coaxials. Bass: 10 inch IDMAX V2 in sealed box.

So a multi channel amp is doable with my setup. My PPI bass amp was WAY too strong for the IDMAX and wasnt even getting used to its potential. I just want a solid 5 channel amp that will free up some room in my truck and that wont strain my electrical system.

I am currently looking at two amps:

JL Audio Slash 500/5: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=256

Alpine PDX-5: http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...hp?model=PDX-5

Great Deals on Ebay:

Alpine: http://search.ebay.com/search/search...=32%26fsoo%3D2

Slash: http://search.ebay.com/search/search...=32%26fsoo%3D2

Can anyone comment on these two amps, or any other 5 channel amps? Will I need a different RCA kit that is specified for the 5 channel, or do you think I can reuse my expensive monster cable kits from my PPI 4 channel speaker amp and my PPI mono block bass amp?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks guys.
Old 07-22-08, 02:39 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you can reuse the RCA's

also look into the Kicker ZX750.5
i dont know if clarion still makes 5 channel amp but i have one of their old school ones that i gave to a buddy to put in his s13 vert.

JL stuff is always good. if you have the money for that then go for it.
Old 07-22-08, 06:34 PM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with the alpine because of its compact size and generous power output. The JL is also going to run a little more expensive.
Old 07-23-08, 02:12 PM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

I have a Elemental Designs nine.5 (100w x 4, 600w x 1). My bro just got the RF Power1000 (80 x 4, 600w x 1). Both are monster amps very underrated.

If space is tight I'd recommend the alpine though.
Old 07-24-08, 02:23 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jtgs400
I have a Elemental Designs nine.5 (100w x 4, 600w x 1). My bro just got the RF Power1000 (80 x 4, 600w x 1). Both are monster amps very underrated.

If space is tight I'd recommend the alpine though.

Wow, those are 5 channel? They must be hugge. Any links?

I'm leaning toward the alpine right now cuz of the size to power ratio, but I've read reviews that the bass output is sub-par. Now I've always been a fan of JL amps when they came out and the Slash is not out of the picture yet. Its a bit bigger and more expensive but i hear the sound quality and output is amazing. But epinions has a couple negative reviews about this amp blowing out. So I'm kinda stuck here.

I'm gonna call a couple authorized dealers of both and figure this out. I'll let you guys know what course I'll be taking and of course, post pics and do a review.

Thanks guys! Any other experiences or recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 07-24-08, 03:37 PM
YupImJOee
Lexus Test Driver

im running a Alpine 5 channel Flex 5. works pretty good but if your looking for loud loud loud bass/music n all that it i'd go with a 2 seperate ones.
Old 07-24-08, 06:56 PM
basketthis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a rare a/d/s/ 6 channel amplifier. Only meant for high end systems. If you know what a/d/s/ is, you know what it's worth. Perfect for what you want to do. Model number is: p650.2 powerplate. I'm not actively selling it, but I'd let it go for the right price to someone in need... :-)
Old 07-25-08, 08:55 AM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
Wow, those are 5 channel? They must be hugge. Any links?

I'm leaning toward the alpine right now cuz of the size to power ratio, but I've read reviews that the bass output is sub-par. Now I've always been a fan of JL amps when they came out and the Slash is not out of the picture yet. Its a bit bigger and more expensive but i hear the sound quality and output is amazing. But epinions has a couple negative reviews about this amp blowing out. So I'm kinda stuck here.

I'm gonna call a couple authorized dealers of both and figure this out. I'll let you guys know what course I'll be taking and of course, post pics and do a review.

Thanks guys! Any other experiences or recommendations would be appreciated.

As you can see this thing is huge. Takes up the whole rear shelf on my gs. I dont have pics of the RF but its more wide than long but its still a big amp.

I've also owned the 500/5 back then and it's also a solid amp. Never had a problem with it. Only thing is the rear channels are a bit on the low side (25x2) but that's if rear fill is important to you.
Old 07-25-08, 09:10 AM
basketthis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jtgs400

As you can see this thing is huge. Takes up the whole rear shelf on my gs. I dont have pics of the RF but its more wide than long but its still a big amp.

I've also owned the 500/5 back then and it's also a solid amp. Never had a problem with it. Only thing is the rear channels are a bit on the low side (25x2) but that's if rear fill is important to you.
WOW! Mine's probably 1/3 the size and been more than I've ever wanted/needed. I am a true audiophile too. I ran MB Quart speakers running on my amp. Clarity was unbelievable!

Nice amp BTW!
Old 08-05-08, 07:16 PM
davidv433
Lead Lap

i dont know if they still make it but the memphis belle is a 5 channel amp
Old 08-05-08, 08:10 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

its all about the jl 500.5