Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Back speakers sounds weak ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-08, 06:25 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have hooked up lower end speakers to factory amps and it sounded just fine (in an 01 eclipse) but when i tried to hook up some higher end speakers it sounded really distorted around mid level volume, and it just got worse from there... i had to replace all the wires and amp to get the higher end speakers to sound better.

i may still do this if i decide to stick with this car for a while but the urge to get a new ls460 or gs450h once the prices come down a little is getting bigger and bigger with each passing month...

do you have the nakamichi or the ML... i have heard from lexus dealers themselves that in their opinions they thought the 2gs nakamichi sounded better than the 2gs ML... just puttin that out there... but this has been argued for a while as well.

i like those 37 speaker newer ml or whatever setups but the only problem with those is how and the hell to you do a reasonable upgrade for a reasonable amount of money...? maybe you just add a little bass and be done with it, not sure..
Old 08-16-08, 05:01 PM
krazyl3gz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nakamichi...someone just stole my alpine deck last night =(
Old 08-18-08, 05:56 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

that sucks man, i had a nice alpine, a nice clarion, and a crappy kenwood all ganked in the past.

so real quik, you had an alpine hooked up to the nakamichi speakers??? were you running the speakers off of the headunit (alpine) or the factory amp?? either way with the alpine as the headunit and not the factory that is probably why it didn't sound as good. i have replaced just head units in the past on factory systems and they usually sound worse after just putting in a new head unit... you have to usually replace all the speakers and re-amp them to a different amp in most cases to get the best sound quality.

my friend last year had a new bmw with the i-drive system thing and he bought a nice alpine to put in there and it sounded noticeably worse after that, he had to upgrade all the speakers and hook them up to the headunit instead of the factory amp (basically replaced the whole setup) to get it to sound better than factory.

hope you had insurance and receipts..
Old 08-18-08, 07:04 PM
krazyl3gz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately all the personal items I had weren't insured. Definitely gonna have all my stuff insured the next time I have it installed.

They were wired to the deck. Sound quality went down a tiny bit when I had the alpine installed. Stock amp was only rated like 25-50 Watts RMS anyways so it wasn't that much worse. Think I'm gonna go for a kenwood 8120 next.
Old 08-19-08, 04:34 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

ahh man, i haven't seen the 8120 to my knowledge but alpine makes some good stuff... that avic d3 or z3 or whatever it is seems like a popular nice in dash nav piece, you should check that one out once. good luck man,
Old 03-27-09, 09:38 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by krazyl3gz
I listen to pretty much everything...rap rock alternative sometimes some jazz or reggae. It's true though it can be really expensive. I forgot to factor in if you have a factory amp all your stuff is gonna have to be rewired to your headunit or else you wont have control to the output for the subwoofer.

To the op, it might be just the way they were designed. I'm not exactly sure what the ML amp is rated for but you might be able to swap out some aftermarket speakers?
True. Lexus designed the ML package to have 6 1/2 speakers in front and 4 inch for the rear. So, I amped them up and solved the problem.