Sponsored by:

Antenna Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-08, 06:51 PM
nexus 4.0
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by P.R.S.22
Excellent write up Nexus. I am going to get all these parts hopefully sometime this weekend. So would you say that GM adaptor will work with the S2K antenna or would I have to find one that is very similar??? Also what are cheese straps??? Haven't heard of that. Other than that I understand exactly how to put this in the car so thanks for all the help.
I can answer that tomorrow, i have to stop by a friends house. I'll try his sk2 antenna on my car. I'll post pics tomorrow of how the install looks from inside the car. I have to get some stuff ready for "FAY" in case it comes this way.
Old 08-22-08, 08:32 PM
818sc400
Lead Lap

great write up !
Old 08-22-08, 10:19 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nexus 4.0
I can answer that tomorrow, i have to stop by a friends house. I'll try his sk2 antenna on my car. I'll post pics tomorrow of how the install looks from inside the car. I have to get some stuff ready for "FAY" in case it comes this way.
You are the man!!! Thanks a ton and I will definately be waiting for those pics whenever you get them up. Don't worry....i've been dealing with Fay for a few days now. Nothing but rain and wind all day. Sucks!!!
Old 08-23-08, 04:28 PM
nexus 4.0
Driver

Excellent write up Nexus. I am going to get all these parts hopefully sometime this weekend. So would you say that GM adaptor will work with the S2K antenna or would I have to find one that is very similar??? Also what are cheese straps??? Haven't heard of that. Other than that I understand exactly how to put this in the car so thanks for all the help.
Sorry bro, but the S2K antenna will not work with the parts I installed. the S2k has the post on the antenna, where the kit has the post built on its self. see pics. my kit...
Attached Thumbnails Antenna Conversion-kit-antenna.jpg  
Old 08-23-08, 04:29 PM
nexus 4.0
Driver

this is the S2K OEM Antenna...
Attached Thumbnails Antenna Conversion-s2k-antenna.jpg  
Old 08-23-08, 04:35 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Ok so I guess I will have to go to circuit city and talk to them about which adaptor I have to get that goes with the S2K antenna. I don't think it should be much of a problem since there are several different adaptors out there like you said. Is there anywhere else besides circuit city where they sell the adaptors???
Old 08-23-08, 04:38 PM
nexus 4.0
Driver

Ok. i finally took the pictures. as i stated, you need cheese strap to extend the ends of the adjusting plate due to the size of the factory antenna hole. so, the first pic is the cheese strap. you can get this for free from any car installation shop. this little part comes with most radios, but is never used. I got mine from circuit city.
Attached Thumbnails Antenna Conversion-cheese-strap.jpg  
Old 08-23-08, 04:40 PM
nexus 4.0
Driver

here is the inside of the trunk with the complete install and how to use the cheese strap.
Attached Thumbnails Antenna Conversion-back-of-install.jpg  
Old 08-23-08, 04:44 PM
nexus 4.0
Driver

this last picture shows the connection of all the antenna wires in order, from GM universal antenna wire to: 40GM-10 to: Factory antenna.
Attached Thumbnails Antenna Conversion-antenna-wires.jpg  
Old 08-23-08, 04:54 PM
nexus 4.0
Driver

Ok so I guess I will have to go to circuit city and talk to them about which adaptor I have to get that goes with the S2K antenna. I don't think it should be much of a problem since there are several different adaptors out there like you said. Is there anywhere else besides circuit city where they sell the adaptors???
circuit city will not have antenna post adaptors, if you really want an S2K antenna you will need the S2K antenna and base ( tightening nut). then you would have to mood the base to work with our factory gromet
it should not be that hard. i'll try to help as best as i can. Also i used to be the Shop manager for Circuit City, so if you need shop parts i'll try to get you some.
Old 08-23-08, 07:43 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

circuit city will not have antenna post adaptors, if you really want an S2K antenna you will need the S2K antenna and base ( tightening nut). then you would have to mood the base to work with our factory gromet
it should not be that hard. i'll try to help as best as i can. Also i used to be the Shop manager for Circuit City, so if you need shop parts i'll try to get you some.
Ok so I will have to go back to the Honda dealership to get the tightening nut (or base) and then I guess go from there. So now if I get the base for the S2K to I still need to get an adaptor like you did or that would be it? Won't the S2K tightening nut have on the inside the wire that will hook right up to the factory antenna wire? Also would I still need the cheese strap?

Last edited by P.R.S.22; 08-23-08 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-25-08, 12:17 PM
nexus 4.0
Driver

Ok so I will have to go back to the Honda dealership to get the tightening nut (or base) and then I guess go from there. So now if I get the base for the S2K to I still need to get an adaptor like you did or that would be it? Won't the S2K tightening nut have on the inside the wire that will hook right up to the factory antenna wire? Also would I still need the cheese strap?
you might have to get all the parts for a complete s2k antenna install. the honda barb should plug right into your factory antenna since they both use standar iso barbs, however i do not know how the honda antenna parts come together, as i never had to replace any s2k antennas while at circuit city. you might have to play this one by ear. i'll help where i can.
Old 08-25-08, 02:40 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

you might have to get all the parts for a complete s2k antenna install. the honda barb should plug right into your factory antenna since they both use standar iso barbs, however i do not know how the honda antenna parts come together, as i never had to replace any s2k antennas while at circuit city. you might have to play this one by ear. i'll help where i can.
Allright. Well I placed an order for the tightening nut where the antenna screws onto so I will see if that is the only other thing I need for the install. Should be here tomorrow but if not the latest they said would be wednesday so as soon as I get it in I will see if thats all I need for this install.
Old 08-27-08, 03:09 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Here is a pic of the S2K antenna and nut on the SC3 with the factory gromet. Let me know what you all think. Sorry the pic is real small but it was with redpheonix's camera so this is all I got for now.
Attached Images  
Old 08-30-08, 08:53 AM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Ok so I got some better pics for everyone. Let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails Antenna Conversion-antenna-2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Antenna Conversion