Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Just picked up a Nakamichi head unit and amp and questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-08, 04:56 PM
VJZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there anyway I can buy another Metra adapter and makeshift something that can make this work?
Old 08-27-08, 07:36 PM
basketthis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cmiller80
Here's a brief run down again

I buy the car last year: comes with aftermarket Sony head unit installed professionall using the Sony harness connected to a Metra adaptor. The metra adaptor connected right to TWO radio plugs in my dash. That radio can still work.

I now have a Nak (Probably won't work for me) out of a 95 SC400

Also have a base model radio out of a 92 SC400. Now, I noticed that this radio DOES NOT say Pioneer ANYWHERE on it. It just says LEXUS "premium audio system" and TOYOTA written on the bottom.

Neither Lexus radio connect to MY dash wiring. Attached are pictures. Notice how I have harness pulled out of the car...that is from the 95 SC400 from which the Nak came. That harness fits the 92 as well!

I'm completely lost here.

This is my dash wiring, behind the radio and climate set-up.

This harness above is from the 95. It is NOT the same as the first picture, which is my dash assembly.

This is the removed 95 SC400 assembly attached to the 1992 SC400 Lexus radio (It also connects into the 95 SC400 Nak radio.

THis is the OEM Lexus radio removed from the 92 SC400. Notice it is not Pioneer. All of my speakers and rear amp say Pioneer on them.
Why no pictures of the back of the 92 sc unit? I'm guessing it's a 10 pin harness and 12 pin harness that is on the back...
It is Pioneer even though it doesn't say so.
BTW, your pictures are HUGE!!!!!!!!!!

Have you tried calling Lexus and asking them what kind of radios came with your particular car from the factory. Of course they will try to sell you the factory radio but you don't have to do that. I always get the most help from the service or parts department. Tell them you have two 10-pin harnesses behind where your radio is along with 2 6-pin harnesses. See what they suggest.

Is there anyway I can buy another Metra adapter and makeshift something that can make this work?
No. It won't work like the factory unit is supposed to...
Old 08-27-08, 07:50 PM
VJZ
Lead Lap

The radio shown IS the pioneer unit!
Old 08-27-08, 09:17 PM
basketthis
Pole Position

The radio shown IS the pioneer unit!
I know. I was responding to this statement.

Also have a base model radio out of a 92 SC400. Now, I noticed that this radio DOES NOT say Pioneer ANYWHERE on it. It just says LEXUS "premium audio system" and TOYOTA written on the bottom.
Old 08-28-08, 08:41 AM
VJZ
Lead Lap

Please notice that in the first big picture, I am holding the plugs that go to the radio of MY dash wiring. The ones in the background to the right are for the climate control.
Old 08-28-08, 11:52 AM
VJZ
Lead Lap

I FIGURED IT OUT

I called Kendall Lexus in Eugene, OR (Where I used to live) and Johann (AWESOME parts guy) told me that in 1992 The SC300 came with THREE radio options: Base Pioneer with NO CD changer controls, Upgrade Pioneer WITH CD Changer controls, and obviously the Nakamichi.

I just need a deck with NO CD changer controls and I'm set!!
Old 08-30-08, 08:12 AM
basketthis
Pole Position

Yep. Good info. I'm glad you've found some sort of direction.
That's what was throwing me off is that you had two 10-pin harnesses... There just had to be another option. I'm thinking that the radio that you are looking for is rare. If you want to do the cd changer and amp you're gonna have to replace all the wiring in your vehicle (as far as the radio goes). I suggest just finding the one that plugs directly in or going aftermarket.