Just picked up a Nakamichi head unit and amp and questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-08, 01:58 PM
VJZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just picked up a Nakamichi head unit and amp and questions

I just bought a Nak HU and Nak amp.

I have a Pioneer system in my 92 SC300. The Nak stuff is out a 95/96 SC400.

I haven't been able to find what I am looking for. Does this stuff just plug in? How can I make it work?

Out of this same car is the gauge cluster and panel for the inside and outside temp controls. What can you do to make that work in a 92 SC300?
Old 08-23-08, 04:12 PM
VJZ
Lead Lap

Okay so here is the story with my radio situation.

I have two OEM radios. Both radios are out of an SC400. One is a 1992 Pioneer "premium sound system" OEM head unit. The other is the previously mentioned 95/96 Nak head unit.

My car came to me with a Sony head unit.

However, when I went to plug in either OEM radios, only two of the wires plug into either the Nak or Pioneer units. The blue plug and one of the three white ones only plug into the radios.

What am I missing? Are the radios different on a 92 SC300 and 400 (differences between the two? The Pioneer one was removed from a 92 SC400 that didn't have Nak and did not have heated seats or climate control. The Nak was removed from a 95 or 96 SC400 with every option.

Attached to this post is a picture of my OEM radio wires. What is wrong with my wiring?

Seriously...I need my car put back together.

Old 08-23-08, 05:26 PM
VJZ
Lead Lap

I think I may have figured out something.

I have a Pioneer "premium" radio. Did all the Pioneer ones say "premium"? All of my speakers are factory as well as the small rear amp in the trunk.

I have two subs and two amps in the back (Aftermarket) that will be run to a little converter box I bought at the audio store.

I need some light shed on this TONIGHT. I will returning to the yard tomorrow to get the Nak harness or something.

I really like the look of the OEM radio. The climate control, Nak radio, ash tray lid, and center console shifter trim have the factory wood grain on them and I would like to have that on there.

So...bump and help me out
Old 08-23-08, 08:27 PM
basketthis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's gonna be hard to answer your questions without being able to get a hands on look at what you have... my best suggestion: if some of the plugs being used before on the sony then you shouldn't worry about it. you may need all of the wiring from the nak system for it to work properly. i'm not sure because i can't see everything... plug it all up and see if it works. let us know what happens...

btw, i think that all lexus come with at least the pioneer premium system. at least your car does... then the upgrade would be the nak.
Old 08-23-08, 09:02 PM
VJZ
Lead Lap

I think I realized that as well about the Pioneer. I looked all over Ebay and CarDomain searching for pics of peoples' stock radios, and all the Pioneer ones said premium.

Now, the Sony had an aftermarket tail attached to an adaptor. I'm assuming that would be from Best Buy or something because someone professionally installed it when I bought the car.

I'm going back to the yard tomorrow to get some of the wiring...if I can.

What I might do is see if our local audio genius can fabricate something for me.

What about making my iPod hard wired? I thought I read something about that.

Thanks to anyone who can shed light on this. I H-A-T-E the way single din head units look in these cars.

Some day I'll get my Alpine 7"...but until then...I want a Nak unit.
Old 08-23-08, 09:17 PM
basketthis
Pole Position

good luck. make sure you check the harnesses and wiring colors and even the exact pin each one is in. they may even use the same harness and wiring to make it easy on the factory to either drop in the nak or pioneer in the same spot with the same amount of install time. sounds like something ford or an american company would do to be lazy but i think it is something that the japanese could've done to save time and cut down on production costs. :shrug: dunno. worth a check though. i would like to know if you find out!

i agree too. nothing looks as good as the factory unit in a lexus. a single din looks awful! absolutely unacceptable. a double din or aftermarket nav unit can work if done right... it's hard for me to like anything that doesn't look perfect...

search "ipod direct". that should pull up something for you. i actually posted in that thread. i've actually done a couple of ipod to factory radio installs myself based on the write-up by PureDrifter(?hope that's his name!? sounds right from memory). but, i altered it a bit to my liking. i have an actual ipod cord that plugs into mine into the bottom of my ipod and sends direct non-fading low-level output to my radio into the original low-level inputs originally from the factory cd changer. it also charges while the car is on.

GL. let us know how everything goes! will be checking back for updates!
Old 08-23-08, 09:26 PM
VJZ
Lead Lap

Do you think if I cut the harness on the Nak one, I could have my audio guy fab it to what I have in the car on my main harness? Obviously this SC at the salvage yard isn't going anywhere (got rolled and then hit a pole...or something like that...lol)
Old 08-23-08, 09:32 PM
VJZ
Lead Lap

Holy cow...just read Pure Drifter's thread.

Looks very complicated!
Old 08-23-08, 09:53 PM
basketthis
Pole Position

Well if it's too much different, you will need all of the wiring. From the fuse box to the radio and amp respectively. From the radio to the amp. From the amp to each speaker... It may be the same. Some are. They just add a sub to the nak system compared to the Pioneer (minus the brand of speaker and radio). If the harnesses aren't the same and you want it to work properly and have it completely stock you will need to make sure you get all of the wiring. But, I can't say enough to just check those harnesses and wires....

Yeah. It's intense. But if you have any kind of experience with car audio it should take between 1-2 hours total time depending on which Lexus you are doing it to. In an SC it took me closer to 2 hours to wire the relays, run the wire and custom mount the ipod cord into the center console. In an ES it took around 1 hour, including the time it took me to go to the factory amp for the wiring and realize that it's not there and then have to go behind the radio and find it. Very simple for a car audio/install person. Shouldn't cost you more than $100 to have someone do it for you... I would recommend the Belkin cord with the headphone jack on the cigarette lighter plug because you will have non-fading low-level output and it will charge with the same plug. It has a really good look. I prefer it to a cord sticking out of the top of my ipod and it not charging... Let me know if you need a link to the one I'm talking about...
Old 08-24-08, 10:12 AM
VJZ
Lead Lap

I ordered the Apple FM transmitter.

Does anyone know if there are other wires that should plug into my existing wires (see pic above)?

What if I cut the harness at the junk yard and have my audio dude hard wire that to my current plugs? Possible?

I am also going to be picking up the 12 disc changer out of that 95 SC400 Nak system. Any run ins with that?

Can I use that changer with the Pioneer radio if the Nak won't work?
Old 08-24-08, 04:59 PM
VJZ
Lead Lap

No one has any ideas?

Is the wiring different between the 400 and 300?
Old 08-26-08, 09:59 PM
VJZ
Lead Lap

Today I went back and bought the harness section from the 95 SC400 that I got the Nak radio out of. that didn't hook up in my car.

What can I be missing for the 92 radio?

Is the radio wiring different between a 92 SC300 and a 92 SC400?
Old 08-27-08, 07:40 AM
basketthis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cmiller80
I ordered the Apple FM transmitter.

Does anyone know if there are other wires that should plug into my existing wires (see pic above)?

What if I cut the harness at the junk yard and have my audio dude hard wire that to my current plugs? Possible?

I am also going to be picking up the 12 disc changer out of that 95 SC400 Nak system. Any run ins with that?

Can I use that changer with the Pioneer radio if the Nak won't work?
Read my other posts very closely. I've already answered this. It's going to be trial and error with what you are doing.

No one has any ideas?

Is the wiring different between the 400 and 300?
Does it look different?

Today I went back and bought the harness section from the 95 SC400 that I got the Nak radio out of. that didn't hook up in my car.

What can I be missing for the 92 radio?

Is the radio wiring different between a 92 SC300 and a 92 SC400?
What do you mean "hook up in my car"? What did you try to hook it to?
You are doing something that probably hasn't been done that much, if at all. You are mainly going to have to experiment and figure it out. All I/we can do is guide you... I know the 92 and 95 have different engines, but don't know about the sound system. Looks like the car that you own doesn't use a factory amp. It uses the basic Toyota harness. I personally have never taken apart a 92 in the many years that I've been doing this. GL and let us know if you figure anything out.

If I'm wrong or anyone else can help him out, please correct me. Let's help this guy get some sound!
Old 08-27-08, 11:00 AM
VJZ
Lead Lap

There's that white case that holds an assortment of plugs right behind the radio/climate control/ash tray. I took that from the junk yard 95 car and it didn't match anything in mine to connect to. I need something that will connect to my 92 Pioneer radio. That radio didn't match anything in my dash either.
Old 08-27-08, 04:47 PM
VJZ
Lead Lap

Here's a brief run down again

I buy the car last year: comes with aftermarket Sony head unit installed professionall using the Sony harness connected to a Metra adaptor. The metra adaptor connected right to TWO radio plugs in my dash. That radio can still work.

I now have a Nak (Probably won't work for me) out of a 95 SC400

Also have a base model radio out of a 92 SC400. Now, I noticed that this radio DOES NOT say Pioneer ANYWHERE on it. It just says LEXUS "premium audio system" and TOYOTA written on the bottom.

Neither Lexus radio connect to MY dash wiring. Attached are pictures. Notice how I have harness pulled out of the car...that is from the 95 SC400 from which the Nak came. That harness fits the 92 as well!

I'm completely lost here.

This is my dash wiring, behind the radio and climate set-up.

This harness above is from the 95. It is NOT the same as the first picture, which is my dash assembly.

This is the removed 95 SC400 assembly attached to the 1992 SC400 Lexus radio (It also connects into the 95 SC400 Nak radio.

THis is the OEM Lexus radio removed from the 92 SC400. Notice it is not Pioneer. All of my speakers and rear amp say Pioneer on them.

Quick Reply: Just picked up a Nakamichi head unit and amp and questions