Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Stock Amp and Sub Question (Upgrading head unit)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-08, 04:10 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Amp and Sub Question (Upgrading head unit)

I'm about to upgrade my factory Pioneer system to an Eclipse head unit. I've been doing some digging on the forum and have been reading that the factory amp will be bypassed and, subsequently, so will the subwoofer. From what I gather, that means that they will just be idle and not do anything when the new system is installed. Is this correct or did I miss something? How does the system sound without the factory Amp/subwoofer if this is indeed correct. I have an amp sitting in my garage that would be perfect for this if I would have to replace the factory sub.

TIA!
Old 09-03-08, 04:37 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your going to have to replace the factory amp and sub. It will sound fine without it, but, it'll be better with a new sub
Old 09-03-08, 04:37 PM
basketthis
Pole Position

You will have to upgrade to an aftermarket amplifier for your subwoofer. You're right, you will probably end up bypassing the amp for the door speakers. Or, on most Lexus you can by an amp integration harness that you just plug into the car and it will utilize the factory amp. From my experience, you will still lose the factory sub and sometimes what's called "engine noise" will occur. This is caused by ANY aftermarket radio. It happens alot when doing installs in any Lexus so I just end up bypassing the amp anyway! lol.

Your system will sound just as good (if not better) with an aftermarket unit. The clarity and sound quality is usually better (with proper tuning) with a high end unit WITH an amp bypass. So, you should not worry about your door speakers as much as getting that power wire ran for the amp/sub. GL.

Do you plan on doing it yourself?
Old 09-03-08, 04:40 PM
basketthis
Pole Position

BTW, I've done this before. If you need information or guidance, I'd be glad to help.

Last edited by basketthis; 09-03-08 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-03-08, 07:51 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by basketthis
You will have to upgrade to an aftermarket amplifier for your subwoofer. You're right, you will probably end up bypassing the amp for the door speakers. Or, on most Lexus you can by an amp integration harness that you just plug into the car and it will utilize the factory amp. From my experience, you will still lose the factory sub and sometimes what's called "engine noise" will occur. This is caused by ANY aftermarket radio. It happens alot when doing installs in any Lexus so I just end up bypassing the amp anyway! lol.

Your system will sound just as good (if not better) with an aftermarket unit. The clarity and sound quality is usually better (with proper tuning) with a high end unit WITH an amp bypass. So, you should not worry about your door speakers as much as getting that power wire ran for the amp/sub. GL.

Do you plan on doing it yourself?
Originally Posted by basketthis
BTW, I've done this before. If you need information or guidance, I'd be glad to help.
Cool deal... I've got a good amp thats powerful enough to run a sub, so i just just go that route. A buddy and I are planning on doing the install. I've never done one, but I figure it's about time I learn how. I've done a lot of digging and found a few good references... like the AVIC install... I'll definitely be hitting you up though... I have more questions than answers... LOL.
Old 09-03-08, 09:55 PM
basketthis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stage3
Cool deal... I've got a good amp thats powerful enough to run a sub, so i just just go that route. A buddy and I are planning on doing the install. I've never done one, but I figure it's about time I learn how. I've done a lot of digging and found a few good references... like the AVIC install... I'll definitely be hitting you up though... I have more questions than answers... LOL.
Sounds good! There's enough info on here to be able to build a whole Lexus car with a buddy. LOL. Just ask away, I'll be happy to answer and I'm sure others will. There's plenty of ppl willing to help. Btw, that's a nice unit you are getting.