Search this Thread

Old 09-02-10, 10:25 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by milellie11
Whoa man, who pissed in your oatmeal?
No one "pissed in my oatmeal," but it gets tiring seeing it in every single problem post.

I am simply voicing my frustrations with MY car.
I understand. Every single time you post, in every single problem post, every time. You even create new threads about it to make sure it's out there that you are not happy. The problem is that you don't do anything to change it, and you completely missed my point on that.

Are you employed by Toyota/Lexus or something to disect my post and do damage control to their image?
Not in the least, nor did I do any type of damage control. Read it again - I never said it was perfect, never said the problems don't exist, that they're all in your head, or anything like that. Stop putting words in my mouth and read what was said.

Yo, i know Lexus is a good car, i'm just saying that it's not "perfect" reliability wise as the professed acclaim. No car is.
We agree here.

You think Lexus is the only car that won't leave you stranded for 200k miles? Dude, stop being a homer! You have some american cars and german cars that run 300k just like a Lexus would with only oil changes and transmission maintenance.
First off, I never said that, so again with words that didn't get said. Second, no one is being a "homer," but you certainly are trying to get your point across. C, we disagree that there are a lot of cars that will go 300K (even Lexus) with only oil changes and transmission maintenance. Parts wear out - period. Doesn't matter the brand. Some are just planned for more wear and tear than others.

Yeah, those American and German cars have some electrical glitches, but as i just pointed out, so does Lexus. Most drivers on here either has or will need to replace their door lock actuators, Mark Levinson amps, window swtiches, ball joints etc. before 120K miles.
They have more than electrical glitches. I know several owners of MB/BMW that had numerous mechanical problems - one had so many with a brand new car and **** poor service that he gave up on the brand altogether after owning 11 straight. He's now a Honda driver when not riding his motorcycle.

And of course, as well testified by all GS drivers on here, if you want to continue driving without sudden sloppy handling,inner tire wear, clunking noises and inability to keep alignments, you'll have to replace with aftermarket bushings, or spend over 1500 on stock arms from Lexus AT or Before 100K miles! Hey, i'm not trying to make Lexus look bad, i'm just telling my experience with my car. And neglected or not, the above mentioned things WILL fail whether you bought the car brand new or used.
You don't let them fail - that's what I'm getting at. You inspect them and replace them before they cause larger problems. Rubber bushings are not designed to go more than 50-60K in a car. They simply aren't. They are, however, a better option for a car that is designed for a very smooth ride than the polyurethane bushings that you can replace them with. You will notice a small difference, but it's enough that Lexus went with rubber. This isn't a design flaw, it's a design choice. And again, I never said you tried to make Lexus look bad. It's the constant complaining that I was talking about, and mostly (2 through 5, ahem) about the same exact problem. Also, just an FYI, you do not need to replace the entire arm. You can replace the bushings by themselves for a small fraction of the cost. I found a place selling the bushings for $34 each.

Thanks for all of your help though. I guess the time it took you to dig up my old posts to "expose" me, could have been time for you to point me to other threads which provides solutions to my problems. That's what it means to contribute to a forum.
I did not say I was trying to "expose you," I simply asked a question why you felt the need to post so many times about the same issue. And I take offense to your statement about what it means to contribute to a forum. I contribute a lot where I can, and if you read through THIS VERY THREAD, I gave advice on how to solve the problem he (and you) are having. I've even gone to the trouble to explain why you can't just drop a new aftermarket amp in and be done with it, but I guess that's not contributing.

Feel free to keep kvetching about everything, but knowing that you could spend a few hundred dollars and have the car ride smoothly, hold a line, and give you a pretty good driving experience for another 50K would be a better investment IMO.

Cheers,

Big Mack
Old 09-03-10, 09:49 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueshark
So better ventilation in that area would help it longevity ? What about adding fans outside the amplifier if it can be done.
Better airflow will definitely help. For every 7 degrees C of rising temp, the life of the electronics is greatly reduced. The only thing cooling the entire amp is a small 25mm muffin fan, sleeve bearing. It's quite sad.
Old 09-13-10, 01:00 PM
milellie11
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack
No one "pissed in my oatmeal," but it gets tiring seeing it in every single problem post.

I understand. Every single time you post, in every single problem post, every time. You even create new threads about it to make sure it's out there that you are not happy. The problem is that you don't do anything to change it, and you completely missed my point on that.

Not in the least, nor did I do any type of damage control. Read it again - I never said it was perfect, never said the problems don't exist, that they're all in your head, or anything like that. Stop putting words in my mouth and read what was said.

We agree here.

First off, I never said that, so again with words that didn't get said. Second, no one is being a "homer," but you certainly are trying to get your point across. C, we disagree that there are a lot of cars that will go 300K (even Lexus) with only oil changes and transmission maintenance. Parts wear out - period. Doesn't matter the brand. Some are just planned for more wear and tear than others.

They have more than electrical glitches. I know several owners of MB/BMW that had numerous mechanical problems - one had so many with a brand new car and **** poor service that he gave up on the brand altogether after owning 11 straight. He's now a Honda driver when not riding his motorcycle.

You don't let them fail - that's what I'm getting at. You inspect them and replace them before they cause larger problems. Rubber bushings are not designed to go more than 50-60K in a car. They simply aren't. They are, however, a better option for a car that is designed for a very smooth ride than the polyurethane bushings that you can replace them with. You will notice a small difference, but it's enough that Lexus went with rubber. This isn't a design flaw, it's a design choice. And again, I never said you tried to make Lexus look bad. It's the constant complaining that I was talking about, and mostly (2 through 5, ahem) about the same exact problem. Also, just an FYI, you do not need to replace the entire arm. You can replace the bushings by themselves for a small fraction of the cost. I found a place selling the bushings for $34 each.

I did not say I was trying to "expose you," I simply asked a question why you felt the need to post so many times about the same issue. And I take offense to your statement about what it means to contribute to a forum. I contribute a lot where I can, and if you read through THIS VERY THREAD, I gave advice on how to solve the problem he (and you) are having. I've even gone to the trouble to explain why you can't just drop a new aftermarket amp in and be done with it, but I guess that's not contributing.

Feel free to keep kvetching about everything, but knowing that you could spend a few hundred dollars and have the car ride smoothly, hold a line, and give you a pretty good driving experience for another 50K would be a better investment IMO.

Cheers,

Big Mack

Cool man, i got ya.

I understand no car will last without doing maintenance to the suspension etc. I was just irritated that all of this started happening at once along with the amp.

Where were you able to find just the rubber bushings instead of replacing the whole arms if i might ask?
Old 09-13-10, 03:02 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Cool man, i got ya.

I understand no car will last without doing maintenance to the suspension etc. I was just irritated that all of this started happening at once along with the amp.
When it rains, unfortunately, it pours. This is why it is imperative to maintain it and pay very specific attention when driving. If you feel something change, it's time to check it out. Whenever I do oil changes, I check for anything outside of what I've seen before. I don't drive my car very much, so it doesn't see a lot of wear and tear, but I know the way it drives, so it should behave the same way pretty much all the time - unless something goes wrong.

Where were you able to find just the rubber bushings instead of replacing the whole arms if i might ask?
Lower control arm bushings, front

Ask and ye shall receive.

Big Mack
Old 09-13-10, 08:14 PM
milellie11
Intermediate

When it rains, unfortunately, it pours. This is why it is imperative to maintain it and pay very specific attention when driving. If you feel something change, it's time to check it out. Whenever I do oil changes, I check for anything outside of what I've seen before. I don't drive my car very much, so it doesn't see a lot of wear and tear, but I know the way it drives, so it should behave the same way pretty much all the time - unless something goes wrong.

Big Mack

Link no work
Old 09-13-10, 08:19 PM
milellie11
Intermediate

Big Mack

Also, do you have any experience with Master Electronics in Duluth Georgia? Supposedly, they repair Mark Levinson amps for $450. You send them your blown amp and they send you a repaired one they have in stock. I have a choice between them or either Sewell Lexus online parts who has the refurbished amps for a discounted price of $600. I'm trying to decide which way i should go. Thanks bro!
Old 09-13-10, 09:52 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Link no work
Crapola. Since that doesn't work, it's from auto parts warehouse. com and you can search by your car. Part number: W0133-1844555

Also, do you have any experience with Master Electronics in Duluth Georgia? Supposedly, they repair Mark Levinson amps for $450. You send them your blown amp and they send you a repaired one they have in stock. I have a choice between them or either Sewell Lexus online parts who has the refurbished amps for a discounted price of $600. I'm trying to decide which way i should go. Thanks bro!
No experience with them. Perhaps others do. I can't say either way on it, in all fairness. I'd go with whomever offers you the best price/warranty combination.

Big Mack
Old 09-14-10, 03:09 PM
rbpill
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2001 LS430 with Mark Levinson and the sound on the left side goes in and out-- making it annoying to listen to music. Right now, I had to adjust the settings so all sound comes from right hand side.

Any idea what is wrong and how to fix?

Thanks.
Old 06-07-20, 06:16 AM
ThomasD94
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Percy
ML Amp.

The internal design of the amp is "**** poor" to say the least. One very small fan is used to cool the entire assembly. Even though they TRY to heat sink it, the installation is usually kept in a small area that gets very very little airflow.

The ML amps have had more problems than any other audio name in history for any automobiles from Lexus. Same with the ML speakers. They tend to blow out quite often.

That's what you get for "good marketing". Hype the name "Mark Levinson" but not back it up with the same build quality as their home gear.
too true! I am having issues with my SC430 mark lev today