Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Retaining cd changer with aftermarket navigation?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-08, 07:08 AM
goldlifter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retaining cd changer with aftermarket navigation?

what would one have to do to keep the cd changer functional if adding an aftermarket navi system? has anyone done it?
Old 09-21-08, 07:12 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by goldlifter
what would one have to do to keep the cd changer functional if adding an aftermarket navi system? has anyone done it?
It's been done I just can't remember the person or the thread. Check the audio and video section.
Old 09-21-08, 09:00 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it's nearly impossible, but what you need to do is find the member on here (i don't know who it is) who can make you an adapter to convert your changer's IP-Bus or N-Bus (i forget which it actually is) output to either a USB or an aux in (audio L and R) to work with the aftermarket head unit. i don't believe it's too expensive to buy the thing from him, unless he actually has to change out the output unit on the changer, in which case would be costly.

just do a search of the whole forum with similar terms to your thread title here.
Old 09-24-08, 06:07 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i just recommended in a post 2 below that a 2nd gen changer be converted from nalamichi to standard gs by switching the electronic boards because owner accideatlally bought a 98 nak 12 pin connctor changer instead of 98 standard changer with 10 pin square plug. its just a matter of opening up changer and switching the boards from the broken standard 98 changer to the working nak mech .

so the same principlas are for swicthing from lexus gs either nak or standard to pioneer aftermarket. the lexus boards are removed and the pioneer boards are inserted. leving a pioneer changer with an ip bus plug instead of a 10 pin lexus gs plug or 12 pin gs nak plug. the changer mech doesnt care which board is inserted into it it will play the cds.......................................................................... another nice feaTURE OF THE MOD is WHEN YOU GO TO THE AFTERMARKET BOARDS THEY SUPPORT CD TEXT THAT ALL THE NEW PIONEER HEADUNITS DI TO. so you will have a modern cd test chanGER.
Old 09-25-08, 08:47 AM
vrferrari
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And I must say, you need to swap BOTH pcb assemblies. Changing just the one board with the 10 pin interface connector did not provide a working unit. Thanks go to LexAudio for the help on that one.

One question on the "stock Pioneer" changer pcb's....where can you get those from, to swap in for an AVIC Nav upgrade ? I thought (probably incorrectly) that there was a special cable available that plugs into the stock 10 pin Lexus connector that has the correct "bus" connector on the other end that allowed a connection to the Pioneer hu ?