Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

If I drill a hole in the firewall here....

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-08, 09:12 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Default If I drill a hole in the firewall here....

I need to run some wires to my engine and I want to have a dedicated hole just for these wires. I don't want to fish wires through existing holes in firewall in fear of damaging OEM wires.

Now if I were to drill a hole where the circled area is, where will the other end of the drill bit pop out inside the engine bay? I want to make sure this has been done before I damage anything.
Attached Thumbnails If I drill a hole in the firewall here....-firewall.jpg  
Old 10-08-08, 09:14 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you should be fine. the brake booster is higher up.

if your car is automatic drill a hole where the clutch master cylinder would go. its easy access from both sides. thats what i use to do all the time when installing systems while working at circuit city install bay.

my car is a 5spd so i made a hole in the vicinity of your mark.
Old 10-08-08, 09:15 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious, have you thought about going through the wheel well? That is what I did, it is more work but I just felt safer.
Old 10-08-08, 09:21 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

wheel well is definitely NOT safer.

read about all the people that lower their cars and rub through the chassis harness. the other wires would get the same fate.

engine bay to cabin is the proper and safest way. personally i like to keep my wiring away from anything moving that has a chance to ef up my car.
Old 10-08-08, 09:24 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30

read about all the people that lower their cars and rub through the chassis harness. the other wires would get the same fate.

engine bay to cabin is the proper and safest way. personally i like to keep my wiring away from anything moving that has a chance to ef up my car.
I never thought about that, but since I have no desire to lower the car I'm not to worried about it.
Old 10-08-08, 11:28 PM
Dv8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30

I hate to say it, but if someone lowers their car enough to damage any harness without doing anything to prevent problems, deserves a **** storm. Harness relocation ftw.

I run everything with the main engine harness. Yeah its a pain in the ***. But no holes need to be drilled. The space is big enough to work with, and is away from heat.
Old 10-08-08, 11:43 PM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

measure..... becareful, i would hat to drill through something important.
i remember seeing that hole in my car, but i dont remember if it was safe. Good luck.
Old 10-11-08, 08:57 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks to be good there for a SC. If it was a GS...........well...............I have a story for that.
Old 04-29-22, 07:38 AM
MazdaGuy22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxor
I need to run some wires to my engine and I want to have a dedicated hole just for these wires. I don't want to fish wires through existing holes in firewall in fear of damaging OEM wires.

Now if I were to drill a hole where the circled area is, where will the other end of the drill bit pop out inside the engine bay? I want to make sure this has been done before I damage anything.
NOTE: This is a response from the future. It is now 14 years later. I do hope people have gotten a 'bit' smarter in 2022! Anyway...from the looks of your picture, if you drill right there in that very spot, there is a bundle of wires (probably veddddy important) to the left of the hole. You should first drill a pilot hole before drilling a huge hole that may uh...how can i say this...uh...tear **** up. And just for the heck of it, see if you can move that wire bundle out of the way somehow before you do drill. Also, i would drill from the engine bay instead of from the pedal area.