Sponsored by:

Bright Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-02, 06:12 AM
JFJacob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bright Bulbs

Just installed the new SYLVANIA Silverstar High Performance Halogens Bulbs for the low beam and fog lights. Very bright light almost HID. The look is not as blueish as you want, but is very bright. Sylvania claims 4000K, and I beleive it. $24.99 each from Auto Zone.
Old 02-19-02, 11:08 AM
dmwong
Driver School Candidate

Hi JF,

Any pic you can share with us. I want to see how the new bulbs compare with the HID.

Thanks.

-dw
Old 02-19-02, 02:08 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up

Interesting! I'll have to check em' out.
Old 03-13-02, 05:42 PM
gs300
Driver

Default catz hid kit

i bought the the hid kit cause lexus service said chaging the bulb would fry the wire harness but these light are very bright 8000k i paid $700 installed
Old 03-13-02, 06:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Those bulbs must really help the handling, right? (Oh, I thought that's what this section is about ).
Old 03-13-02, 11:30 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<<bitslapping in progress>>

Yes, my buddy just installed some of those Sylvania Silverstars in his car (a honda accord) and he loves 'em.

Not nearly as bright as HID (we did a side by side comparison) but it's MUCH better than stock. A great, low cost upgrade (like for any non-HID Lexos...). Also, these bulbs are in the same wattage range as stock lights so you're chances of buring out the harness with these is about the same as with stock lights...
Old 03-14-02, 04:22 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool. I might try these as a replacement for my fogs this weekend.

Finally a bighter bulb, low cost, and I don't have to pay $100 for a 'blueish' tint I don't care about since I have yellow fogs.

If i do do this, I will try to take a OEM on one side and a Sylvania Silverstar on the other comparison shot in addition to full before and afters.
Old 03-14-02, 01:46 PM
houseomatics
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I know three people including myself that bought aftermarket bulb and it kept blowning the bulbs then it would melt the wires
Old 03-14-02, 05:15 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is why I ALWAYS recommend buying good quality bulbs and NEVER running them over the stock wattage (well, a little bit is ok, but don't run 80W lights when the stock is 55W!)

Also, when installing it, make SURE you don't touch the bulb...personally, I put on latex gloves...I'd rather look stupid that have to replace a headlight housing...
Old 03-15-02, 04:19 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by manaray
personally, I put on latex gloves...I'd rather look stupid that have to replace a headlight housing...
Good point manaray; a lot of people can't understad why their bulbs self destruct in 6 months......this is why.

As a side note, you should be able to find latex, or even vinyl gloves at your local Walmart or whatever; look in the cleaning supplies, painting supplies, or even automotive area - should be very cheap. I got mine at my jobsite, so I got the 5-finger discount.
Attached Thumbnails Bright Bulbs-supplies.jpg  
Old 03-18-02, 08:36 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Dexter
Cool. I might try these as a replacement for my fogs this weekend.

Finally a bighter bulb, low cost, and I don't have to pay $100 for a 'blueish' tint I don't care about since I have yellow fogs.

If i do do this, I will try to take a OEM on one side and a Sylvania Silverstar on the other comparison shot in addition to full before and afters.
LSS, the Sylvania Silverstars are just a hair, if any, brighter than OEM fogs (9006s)

I piccked them up at AutoZome for ~$55 out the door.

I took some pics, but it is very hard to tell with the camera.

I (we) also took some comparison pics with my Silverstars installed vs Dave's (DaveGS4) PIAA 9006s in his fogs - his were brighter, easily to tell. He is using the PIAA Super Whites (51W). I will post this pic when I have time to resize it.

I will do the PIAA Xtreme White Plus (newer model than PIAA Super Whites) when I have an opportunity to do within the next couple weeks.

So, to recap......

SilverStar = OEM
PIAA > OEM
PIAA > SilverStar

Again, you get what you pay for.
Old 03-18-02, 08:52 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

I (we) also took some comparison pics with my Silverstars installed vs Dave's (DaveGS4) PIAA 9006s in his fogs - his were brighter, easily to tell. He is using the PIAA Super Whites (51W). I will post this pic when I have time to resize it.

I will do the PIAA Xtreme White Plus (newer model than PIAA Super Whites) when I have an opportunity to do within the next couple weeks.

So, to recap......

SilverStar = OEM
PIAA > OEM
PIAA > SilverStar

Again, you get what you pay for.
Also, FWIW, we both have 98 GS4s with OEM batteries installed, no other accessories running, etc, etc.

Here you go....
Attached Thumbnails Bright Bulbs-dsc01012-smaller.jpg  
Old 03-18-02, 09:06 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Also, FWIW, we both have 98 GS4s with OEM batteries installed, no other accessories running, etc, etc.

Here you go....
Hmmmm! That is a considerable difference.
Old 03-18-02, 09:27 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Any story that begins with 'then Dexter snapped on the rubber gloves and said "let's get to work on those bulbs" ' probably should be posted on some another board I wouldn't frequent...

I'm definitely a fan of the Super White PIAA's, although I understand there is a new model out now which I haven't seen. Got mine as a package kit with both 9005 (for high beams) and 9006 (for fogs) probably 1 1/2 years ago and was very diligent (using gloves) putting them in.

No problems whatsoever with them, and they make a noticable difference:

A) in the brightness. I don't guess if my fogs are on, I can tell.
B) in the color of the foglights which I prefer over stock. Much more yellow than orange.
Old 03-19-02, 04:20 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Question

Can a Mod <cough - TXSTYLE - cough> move this thread to the main GS or Electronics Forum?

Thanks

Last edited by ///MDex; 03-19-02 at 04:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Bright Bulbs