Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: OEM Nav or After market?
OEM Nav
44.44%
After market
55.56%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

OEM Nav or After market?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-02, 11:24 AM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question OEM Nav or After market?

Given the issues many of you have expressed with Lexus' updates to the navigation system, would you have, given the option, purchased the car with the OEM Nav or had superior (functionality wise, you can never hope to match the beautiful way the OEM Nav is integrated into the dash) After market installed?

I can't believe that with all the people who have posted in the Nav update thread that no one seems to have an opinion on this!

Last edited by Hohlraum; 02-24-02 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-20-02, 10:20 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

I personally would get an aftermarket Nav just because it comes with a seperate screen therefore I can mount it anywhere plus have total control of my audio/video system. Kenwood's NAV is one of the best on the market right now.
Old 02-26-02, 05:03 PM
LS007
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a Honda Odyssey that has a OEM navigation made by Alpine and Lexus LS430 with OEM Denso navigation system. I've used Pioneer's, Alpine's and Kenwood's aftermarket navigation system. Each aftermarket model has it's own advantages, but these are a few of my own basic observations and why the Alpine DVD navigation system has a real advantage.

Pioneer's navigation system (AVIC-9DVD) has the latest interface enhancements, like 3d map views, voice navigation, real time traffic updates (using module sold seperate) and can also play DVD movies when not being used for navigation. Like most aftermarket navigation systems, the map database is licensed from NavTech and contains ~90,000 points of interest.

Kenwood's interface appears to operate very much like Lexus OEM navigation system. Kenwood has the only after market advantage of using a touch-screen, like most of the OEM navigation systems use. Again Point of interest database is NavTech ~90,000 locations.

Alpine's after market navigation systems does not have touch screen capabilities, dispite Alpine making touch screen OEM products for Honda/Acura. In addition to using NavTech map database, Alpine also incorporates InfoUSA data for business listings (www.infousa.com). IMHO gives Alpine a real advantage, because most of the time you want to route to a place of business by name - not just an address. This increases your points of interest (business and location names) to over 3,000,000! A real advantage!

So, if Point's of Interest (POI's) are important to you and you want to be routed to the nearest "Radio Shack" test systems for route guidance based on business name before buying.

For those of us owning OEM Denso navigation systems our message to Lexus should be not only to update the DVD to the latest NavTech map database, but to also include the InfoUSA points of interest!
Old 02-26-02, 08:40 PM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

So why doesn't someone put together a bunch of signatures and send a letter to lexus complaining about it.