Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Percy...or anyone else, need some suggestion ( long...)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-02, 09:37 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Percy...or anyone else, need some suggestion ( long...)

I am getting the Farenheit DVD/VCD/Mp3 player with TV tuner build-in install in my car soon (will do a write up then, will put it in the glove compartment) Got the monitor, will figure out where to mount it later.

From looking at the Lexus (Pioneer stereo) schematic, there are 2 set of low signals (left / right channel) comming from the head unit and 2 more (left/right) comming from the CD changer.

I planned to play the DVD/MP3 player through the factory amp (til I decide what amp to get) I also want to keep the stock head unit and CD changer.
From the schematic, I can select the tape option w/o putting a tape in there(require some modify inside the head unit). My question is: if I can build a little circuits to switch the 2 set of low signals describled above from the head unit to the RCA out of the DVD/Mp3 player , will the RCA out signal from my DVD player compatible with the signal (Left/right) channels input of the factory amp? (i may end up build a basic mixer, but I think 1 relay will do the switching job, then I will get better signal than a basic mixer)

If this is the case, then I can also make my circuit to turn on power to my DVD player and auto switch the signal lines when I hit the tape option on the head unit. that would be cool.

thanks
Anh

Last edited by BananaGS; 02-21-02 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-21-02, 08:16 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's possible. But you'll need to do a lot of homework and experimentation. If I understand you correctly it goes something like this.

Split the leads and have the signal diverted from the TAPE selection. Both sets (left, right pairs) will go to a relay of some sort (use a good relay...no op amp switching or transistor switching). When the connection is diverted from the tape to your source selection (DVD, etc) it'll be a direct connection to the stock amp.

You may want to use the "normally closed" position for the tape and have the "energized" position for the DVD/MPEG source. Also, you can possibly hook up the relay to a remote turn on network of some sort. This way it'll energize the relay and divert the signal automatically.

A good source for relays would be from Digikey. http://www.digikey.com Use the OMROM types if possible. Quite reliable.

Am I missing anything?

Percy
Old 02-22-02, 08:13 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks Percy. I'll give that a try. I've seen those solid state relays at local store here. I'll pick some up and will see. :-)