Sponsored by:

Krell home gear vs Sony ES car..part 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-02, 05:49 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by BabaBooey

What's the big deal if it doesn't use the same quality components so long as it performs as well audibly? When was the last time you listened to a setup and thought to yourself, "Sounds like some nice transisters on that amp" or "Man, those MOSFETS are doing a great job"? And JL makes very well regulated amps for about 1/3 the price of Brax if that's what you're looking for.
They all perform well audibly, but the real question is how WELL. The thing is that the average person will probably never get the chance to hear a truly high end amp, nor one that has been modified to a/b compare. To be fair, if it's the only amp a person has listened to (entry level Sony, LA Sound, etc) then there really isn't a fair comparison. They really wouldn't know what "hi end" is. It's like the same with the average consumer that thinks Bose is high end. Now THAT is sad!

Still, the components make a difference. It's just like most cars. How many times do they REALLY put the hi performance stuff, fully tuned to the max- in the car, stock from factory? If that were the case, every car would be equipped with lightweight rims, Z rated tires and a high flow intake.

And yes, I've been known to say "Man, what crappy op amps" when listening to a piece of gear. That last remark was when I was auditioning the F#1 Status from Alpine. 7 grand of gear and they're using JRC4558's...that's why they sounded so "clinical" compared to my home gear. (Now using exclusively AD components) As long as you know what to listen for, you can pick it out.

Percy

Last edited by Percy; 02-26-02 at 06:15 PM.