Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

budget upgrade: what would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-08, 08:44 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default budget upgrade: what would you buy?

I have a 2GS w/ Nakamichi. I'm getting tired of my stock stereo so I am thinking about upgrading. I listen to electronic, rock, jazz, and classical mainly.

I have no problems using used parts and can do the install myself.

What I don't have is audio knowledge. My budget is around $400 and not quite sure where to start. Ideally, I'd want a headunit (something that doesn't have a lot of blinding lights like a Denon or McIntosh), front mids, amp, and a 10" sub in stock location...but not even sure if I can do it within budget.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 11-06-08, 09:46 PM
scooter58
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's kind of tough.

your are going to be buyin used.

i think u will have to be patient and just buy part by parts.
Old 11-06-08, 09:47 PM
scooter58
Lexus Test Driver

i think u could do it though.

$100 for a headunit

100 for coaxials front and rear

i seen a couple of people sellin 1 10" sub and amp for $200.

and u'll probably gonna spend about $50 bucks for an amp kit.
Old 11-06-08, 10:59 PM
KNEXX
Lead Lap

You can get just about every except the head unit. Audiobahn makes decent stuff and it hit pretty hard too. Dual din touchscreen deck is the only way to go today.
Old 11-07-08, 05:59 AM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what's (in/going to be in) my GS

Pioneer AVIC-D3 - These are discontinued now you can buy used for $400+
• Honestly I don't think you can find anything good, even used, head unit wise for $100

Front Component Speakers: (used cost $50-75)
Boston Acoustics Rally Tweeters
Infinity 6.5" Mid/Bass
a/d/s crossovers
• These are my Frankenstein separates

Rear speakers: (eBay $55)
Boston Acoustics Rally RM6 6.5" Coaxials

Subwoofer: ($70 new)
elemental Designs SQ10
• mounted in stock location

Amp: (used cost $75 - $150)
Soundstream Granite 180 X 6
30W X 2 front
30W X 2 rear
100W X 1 bridged sub

I bought speaker baffles on eBay to go from 4.25 to 6.5 in the doors
knuconeptz has nice quality wiring kits for not a lot of $$$
Old 11-07-08, 07:24 AM
kit cat

I really don't need anything awesome, I don't have my front drivers side audio now, anything would be better.

And I would rather stay away from double DIN also since 1) I don't have the money 2) I dont want to worry about getting broke in 3) I'm in Indiana no need for navigation (but DVD would be cool ).

I was thinking something like (without any audio knowledge) 100 for headunit, 100 for coaxial, 100 for amp, 100 for sub .
Old 01-02-09, 05:32 AM
alexwilo
Driver School Candidate

I had a 2gen GS and had a very nice system in it. I could give you a couple of pointer and sell you some of my old equipment if interested.
Old 06-15-09, 01:12 AM
kit cat

10 characters

Last edited by kit cat; 07-05-09 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-15-09, 01:54 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by Ryeno
Since you said you have no audio knowledge listen to what i am about to say. If your are not going to buy GOOD parts then dont buy any at all.

Speakers, bad quality

As for the pioneer AVH4000 no dedicated sub preout = fail. You need that preout in the HU to control the gain to the amp. In layman's terms, your subwoofer will be too quite because you cant jack it up.

Amp, also bad quality.

Sub. One 10 in sub in your trunk at only 200 watts rms would sound very similar to your current free air woofer inside the car.

Let me put it simply if you go with that system I can bet you money you will regret it. You will spend 800 dollars on a system that sounds the same or possibly worse then your current one.
I'm not looking for a Denon Z1 with McIntosh amp and Focal Utopias here... I'm on factory Nakamichi with front left speaker dead, no CD changer, and can't use my DIY iPod mod. ANYTHING will probably sound better at this point.

I don't need to jack up the sub, I don't listen to hiphop a lot, mainly jazz, classical, and electronic.

Now, is the setup I listed above, that bad??? I thought Hifonics made quality stuff? And 10" is enough for me. I used to have 2 12"s when I was younger...waaaaay too much for me now.
Old 06-15-09, 06:48 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by Ryeno
Hifonics made quality stuff 15 yrs ago.

Before i go any further know this, i have a full aftermarket system, hu, amps, speakers and subs so i know what i am talking about it.

Its not that you just jack up the sub for fun, its that in most cases, you NEED that sub outputting higher because it sounds to faint otherwise. And as for 1 10 in being good enough. Its not about the size of the woofer but the size and the watts. 200 watts rms is very low. The fact is the sub's sound waves will need to travel through the trunk, gas tank and rear seats into the passenger cabin. This is going to lower the strength. On the other hand your current woofer doesnt need to get through anything because its already in the passanger compartment. You either need more woofers of equal power or a new stronger woofer. Otherwise you are just wasting money.

Honestly you would be better off just fixing your current system. Or maybe upgrading the speaker and getting a new headunit for ipod support. You could use the money you would waste on a sub, amp and box and use that toward quality products.
no kidding, I didn't know hifonics don't make quality equipment anymore.

Well, if 200watt rms is that low, I may just get a 4 channel amp and get nice components.

What brand do you recommend for amp component? I was recommended Alpine Type-R and MB Quart DSG.
Old 06-15-09, 08:16 AM
Papajorgio
Advanced

200 watts of clean power will sound better than 400 watts of dirty power, almost all the company's that made a name for them selves in the early to mid 90s have been bought out by over seas china type company's, hifonics amps do make allot of high power stuff but quality is garbage now, as for mbquart if you can get some nos german made stuff youll be golden, as far as amps go i would say some older xtant models like the 202m 404m series would do you good, you can get them for a good price without sacrificing sq or build quality, as for the sub i recommend anything image dynamics also jl mid level stuff as they sound decent and hit pretty good with moderate levels of wattage, oh and lms subs are awesome if you can find them on fleabay for a good price...
Old 06-15-09, 08:30 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also have the Nak in my GS4, and was going for the exact same thing. Here's my budget setup:

10" Infinity 10.1 Perfect Sub - $30 on Craigslist
Front and rear sets of Polk db 6.5" components - $50 on Craigslist
Old MTX amp and RCAs I had from a previous car (could be found for $50)
Wiring taken from work's Maintenance dept's junk bin
MDF, wire fittings, etc. - $15

There you go. My "system" for almost $100!
Old 06-15-09, 09:34 AM
kit cat

10 characters

Last edited by kit cat; 07-05-09 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-15-09, 11:18 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're a funny guy!

Look on Craigslist in the Winchestertonfieldville area (Timbuktoo state, I assume ) It unreal how much audio equipment depreciates when it becomes "used". Especially in this market.

I also saved cash by not getting a headunit. My bigger motivators were that I didn't want to be paranoid about locking the car or being in "shady" areas, I really want a double-din touchscreen and its way too much cash right now, and finally I like the OEM look and plan to duplicate the SportDesign stereo/HVAC faceplate colors.
Old 06-15-09, 02:34 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
You're a funny guy!

Look on Craigslist in the Winchestertonfieldville area (Timbuktoo state, I assume ) It unreal how much audio equipment depreciates when it becomes "used". Especially in this market.

I also saved cash by not getting a headunit. My bigger motivators were that I didn't want to be paranoid about locking the car or being in "shady" areas, I really want a double-din touchscreen and its way too much cash right now, and finally I like the OEM look and plan to duplicate the SportDesign stereo/HVAC faceplate colors.

hahaha, you know it! Winchestertonfieldville (it's actually from Adam Sandlers movie...Mr.Deeds)!

If I had a SD headunit, I would keep that too. I was considering going with a Nakamichi CD300 since it'll match better but I wanted something cool too.

I have found a few but in Winchestertonfieldville, there isn't a lot of audio stuff that I would want at the price I want .

Quick Reply: budget upgrade: what would you buy?