Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

What DoubleDIN

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-08, 02:03 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I checked crutchfield and it says the pioneer doesn't fit... how much trouble was it to install the pioneer avic? I want to get the avic-f90bt or avicf900bt.

Thanks.
Old 12-15-08, 11:16 AM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^You would have to modify the Metra fit kit. Like cut some of it off, so that the HU fits.

Kenwood DNX8120 is the same way. You just cut the small this strip accross the inside bottom of the metra kit. Then it fits fine. You wouldnt even notice it, since its on the bottom of the HU.
Old 12-15-08, 11:46 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by onesickgs
go with pionner avic d3 its worth every dolla
dvd/nav/ipod/blue tooth
its got everything
you can find it online for like 600-700
You can get the avic-f90bt at the same price. I'm also thinking about the Kenwood DNX8120 because it has 16 band eq vs 3 band (does it matter?).
Old 12-15-08, 01:34 PM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sam430
You can get the avic-f90bt at the same price. I'm also thinking about the Kenwood DNX8120 because it has 16 band eq vs 3 band (does it matter?).
Note, the EQ on the DNX has seperate EQ settings (13 band) for the front and rear. Each source can have its own EQ settings. It also has full crossover settings for F, R and S with adjustable slope, and frequency cutoff. There's time alignment and also SRS WOW enhancement (really helps when listening to mp3s). For the time alignment there are some presets according to what type of car you have...compact, full size..ect and it will adjust delay accordingly. Same with crossover and slope settings, set what speaker size you have in the doors and sub and it will adjust those settings automatically. Of course if you dont like those settings you can go in and fine tune them to your likings. As you can see this thing will let you tune the sound to all your heart's content.
Old 12-15-08, 02:23 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jtgs400
Note, the EQ on the DNX has seperate EQ settings (13 band) for the front and rear. Each source can have its own EQ settings. It also has full crossover settings for F, R and S with adjustable slope, and frequency cutoff. There's time alignment and also SRS WOW enhancement (really helps when listening to mp3s). For the time alignment there are some presets according to what type of car you have...compact, full size..ect and it will adjust delay accordingly. Same with crossover and slope settings, set what speaker size you have in the doors and sub and it will adjust those settings automatically. Of course if you dont like those settings you can go in and fine tune them to your likings. As you can see this thing will let you tune the sound to all your heart's content.
Do you have this setup? What do you do with the center channel pre-out?
I have 4 channel amp ready and 2 channel mono...didn't plan on the center channel (probably get a tripath amp for that one).
Old 12-16-08, 01:57 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

OHHHH my pocket book!!! I just bought the DNX8120 from ebay...damn wished I'd done it when they had 30% rebate.

4 ch amps 75wrms (check)
2 ch amps for subwoofer ( )
4 door speakers upgrade to 6.5" (check)
2 subwoofers 10" ( )
AMP/RCA/SPEAKER wires ( )
DIY instructions ( )

Man, I got a long ways to go!

EDIT: link found to DNX8120 instruction manual. In case someone wants to review it before purchasing.

Last edited by sam430; 12-16-08 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-16-08, 08:28 AM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

Do you have this setup? What do you do with the center channel pre-out?
I have 4 channel amp ready and 2 channel mono...didn't plan on the center channel (probably get a tripath amp for that one).
Yes, I do have this HU. At the moment I'm not using the center channel since it's more for movies than music. Unless you listen to a lot of music on DVD-Audio or watch a lot of movies on DVD you probably won't need it either. I just leave the preouts unconnected. You can also specific in the audio setup that there's no center channel speaker hooked up.
Old 12-16-08, 02:04 PM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

OHHHH my pocket book!!! I just bought the DNX8120 from ebay...damn wished I'd done it when they had 30% rebate.

4 ch amps 75wrms (check)
2 ch amps for subwoofer ( )
4 door speakers upgrade to 6.5" (check)
2 subwoofers 10" ( )
AMP/RCA/SPEAKER wires ( )
DIY instructions ( )

Man, I got a long ways to go!
haha...I am in the same boat. Except I dont have a HU. BTW, how much did you pick up the 8120 for?
Old 12-16-08, 02:40 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

US $1,040.00 with free backup camera (brand new unit).
seller: dis_sound using live.com 8% ($83 back).

...many refurbished at the same price as this new unit. It's possible some refurb could cost more. Always check.

Question to anyone that can answer: I'm a noob and never done any installation (will do it anyway because I'm like that...LOL). I'm running the RCA from the head unit to the trunk of the car, what RCA spec do I need? R6? r59? Will usining a component cable work or is there a specific RCA cable to run the preout? How about running a Cat5/6 cable instead of RCA (then modify the ends of it)?

Last edited by sam430; 12-16-08 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-16-08, 02:59 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS3_FTW
^^^You would have to modify the Metra fit kit. Like cut some of it off, so that the HU fits.

Kenwood DNX8120 is the same way. You just cut the small this strip accross the inside bottom of the metra kit. Then it fits fine. You wouldnt even notice it, since its on the bottom of the HU.

Thanks! as long as there is room I don't mind drilling...it's cheap anyways. The 13 band eq sold me. DNX8120 ftw.
Old 12-16-08, 03:47 PM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

US $1,040.00 with free backup camera (brand new unit).
seller: dis_sound using live.com 8% ($83 back).

...many refurbished, you should check, are at around this price.

Question to anyone that can answer: I'm a noob and never done any installation (will do it anyway because I'm like that...LOL). I'm running the RCA from the head unit to the trunk of the car, what RCA spec do I need? R6? r59? Will usining a component cable work or is there a specific RCA cable to run the preout? How about running a Cat5/6 cable instead of RCA (then modify the ends of it)?
Nice

I myself, dont like egay. Live.com isnt bad. But I will probably wait til one of the sound shops around here, put them up f.s. and have them install it for free. But the bad thing is. Im still running on stock amp

I need to get my 4 channel in, when the do it.

Good luck with the install. I cant help you on the question. Sorry.
Old 12-16-08, 08:17 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

You know... someone can probably run a computer with a small touch screen monitor in front and the atx board in the trunk. Run xp or linux and add some sound cards with pre-outs and connect it to the subs and speakers from there. You'd have some way serious system like that! U can add gps to it...expand to your hears desire...run any software you want etc...

I'm sure someone done this already.

Now I realize that my DNX is overpriced because you can do so much more with a home pc. (I guess they developed the user interface etc... but I would have been comfortable with a windows OS and an Intel chip). Come to think of it...someone back in college, a Comp. Engineering, student developed a wireless monitor for his senior project...he could have relayed data certain data in one direction and simple interaction data back to the system( don't know what frequency they used -- FCC). Man! would be nice.

Last edited by sam430; 12-16-08 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-16-08, 08:30 PM
jriggs
Lead Lap

^that would be a carpc they sell them premade or you can build your own

that is another option for you, a car pc that is
Old 12-16-08, 08:38 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS3_FTW
Nice

I myself, dont like egay. Live.com isnt bad. But I will probably wait til one of the sound shops around here, put them up f.s. and have them install it for free. But the bad thing is. Im still running on stock amp

I need to get my 4 channel in, when the do it.

Good luck with the install. I cant help you on the question. Sorry.
Definitely hate egay and paybiotch. They froze my account a couple of years ago and never allowed me to remove the restricted status. I sent them crazy amount of documents to prove I own the things I sold...It didn't matter, they wanted my blood. Hated them for that. Now, with a new open account, after making many purchases, they want me to be "verified"...I guess I wasn't verified when I made all those purchase...I can just call my bank and say I didn't purchase them (since I wasn't verifed). LOL, of course they have to eat it cus my billing address matches my card (the seller is protected but I'm sure the shoddy company will try to make one of us pay). Ebay and Paypal is still a shaddy company with a shaddy policy. It's better to pay directly with a credit card becuase I don't believe paypal is much more secure than another bank transaction service company. But ppl want only paypal because paypal verifies that billing address matches. There should be a new law to only issue credit cards to match billing address and get rid of services like payEnemy.

I may evaluate their stocks though...could be a good buy!

Sorry....I really hate ebay and paypal; had to vent. Back to "What DoubleDin"

Last edited by sam430; 12-16-08 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-16-08, 08:48 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jriggs
^that would be a carpc they sell them premade or you can build your own

that is another option for you, a car pc that is

Thanks! I'm sure my next system will be a carpc or custom built system.

Quick Reply: What DoubleDIN