Sponsored by:

Sc Sub Box

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-08, 08:05 PM
Vortes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc Sub Box

has anyone used this custom fitted sub box for the trunk? im looking to get one and put an alpine type-r in it, anyone know if it works well? they sell them on ebay
Attached Thumbnails Sc Sub Box-lxsc300b1-2.jpg  
Old 11-29-08, 08:18 PM
SpinAll4
Former Sponsor - Cancelled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be warned that any sub in the trunk in the SC is not going to put out the amount of bass you're used to in a normal car because of the way the trunk is sealed from the cabin of the car.
Old 11-29-08, 09:02 PM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SpinAll4
Be warned that any sub in the trunk in the SC is not going to put out the amount of bass you're used to in a normal car because of the way the trunk is sealed from the cabin of the car.
Yeah the travel really sucks....Put enough power and it'll be decent but nothing compared to any other car. I had looked at that same box, and it does look good. Might be worth it, but its not ported so you'll lose some bass.
Old 11-29-08, 09:13 PM
justinSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SpinAll4
Really? My sub slaps. I did take out a big piece of metal from behind the seat though.

I have that box and it's actually pretty nice. Construction is top notch, the carpet color matches pretty well, and it does fit nicely to the side of the trunk.
Old 11-29-08, 09:14 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

mines pretty loud too, but that's a pretty small box... also, from experience, you'll get more into the cabin if the sub is facing backwards...
Old 11-29-08, 11:28 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Below is the frequency response curve of the Type R in a sealed enclosure of 1.27 cubic feet (which is slightly larger than their recommended size but is the optimum size base on a QTC of .707.

It look slike the enclosure you posted is smaller than 1.27 cubic feet. Let me know the size and I can show you the frequency response curve.

Old 11-30-08, 11:25 AM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by justinSC
Really? My sub slaps. I did take out a big piece of metal from behind the seat though.
Lol, you cut the firewall behind the gas tank out?!?! Just hope it doesn't blow'd up.
Old 11-30-08, 03:55 PM
Vortes
Lead Lap

what if i took where my stock 8" is installed and cut a hole around it and mount the 12 in the stock position? would that be too much stress on that back deck to hold a much larger sub?
Old 11-30-08, 06:13 PM
IndecentSC
Lexus Test Driver

lexforlife has that same box in his car and sounds pretty good..
Old 12-01-08, 06:30 PM
Vortes
Lead Lap

bump for my previous question
Old 12-02-08, 08:04 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by Vortes
what if i took where my stock 8" is installed and cut a hole around it and mount the 12 in the stock position? would that be too much stress on that back deck to hold a much larger sub?
Unless the 12 is a shallow mount you wont have enough clearance. The magnet of the 12 will rest on the fuel sending unit of the gas tank.
Old 12-02-08, 11:04 AM
Vortes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Unless the 12 is a shallow mount you wont have enough clearance. The magnet of the 12 will rest on the fuel sending unit of the gas tank.
does shallow mount mean alot less power? i will look into one if i can mount it there, what procedures would i have to go through to set up a shallow mount there?
Old 12-02-08, 11:45 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Shallow mount just means that the cage structure is not as deep as a standard subwoofer's cage. As far as power handling......that depends upon the individual sub. Some argue that a shallow mount does not hit as well as a regular sub. That is up to the listener to decide. While a shallow mount may not win any DB Drag events it should be more than adequate to satisfy a small bass craving.

Also, you will need to do some substantial cutting to fit the 12 in the stock 8" location. You will also need to fabricate a custom mounting baffle in order to secure it to the decklid.
Old 12-02-08, 01:28 PM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

Search for it on the site. I know someone made up a thread on how to do it. Many people have done it before
Old 12-09-08, 07:28 AM
BSC300TT
Lead Lap

Default 12"

I say you just invert a 12 from the rear deck! lol

Quick Reply: Sc Sub Box