Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

92 SC 300 Install Begins (Version 2)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-08, 10:04 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could you perhaps upload your photos to the gallery so we can see everything clearer?

Awesome job BTW!
Old 12-16-08, 12:51 AM
Ryeno
Banned

Nice job. I would have went with 2 12w6 subs.

Also if i were you, i would remove the rear speakers and sell them. Either they will rattle with the rear deck, or get distrorted by the subwoofer SPL.
Old 12-16-08, 06:55 AM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Ryeno,

Rear speakers will be isolated when I'm done. There's enough dynamat on the rear deck for them not to rattle. I watch a lot of DVD's in the car so I wanted rear fill. As far as two 12w6's go, they would have raised the floor up to much trying to get the air space needed. My 'bassing" days are changing a little bit now that I'm forty. I think the 13tw5 on 750 watts of power will be fine.

I really like the 12w6's though. This was my garage queen with one.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...install-3.html

Shane
Old 12-16-08, 07:24 AM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by SSmith
Ryeno,

Rear speakers will be isolated when I'm done. There's enough dynamat on the rear deck for them not to rattle. I watch a lot of DVD's in the car so I wanted rear fill. As far as two 12w6's go, they would have raised the floor up to much trying to get the air space needed. My 'bassing" days are changing a little bit now that I'm forty. I think the 13tw5 on 750 watts of power will be fine.

I really like the 12w6's though. This was my garage queen with one.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...install-3.html

Shane
by rear fill, do you mean that alpine headunit will output in a surround sound.( with the front 3 speakers becoming 2)

To each his own i guess. I just learned from surround sound system that the rear channels just provide sound-effects. It's never really important information. They never put stuff that would distract you from the screen in the rear speakers. This applies to car audio as well, sound behind you is a distraction.

Plus I've blown out like 4 rear speakers from having a powerful subwoofer near them. Not to mention that whole rattle thing.

One last thing I gotta give you probs on the brands you got. Its good seeing people actually use quality products like alpine n JL. Instead of cheeping out and using stuff like kenwood, pioneer and sony.
Old 12-16-08, 08:58 AM
SSmith
Instructor

Ryeno,

The Alpine 701 is a 5.1 procesor. The only thing I won't have is a center channel. For movies and audio dvd's it's almost impossible to not have rear fill. The ARC mini will be running the Focal 4"s in the rear deck. They will be isolated either with a small enclosure around them or with baffles. Brand wise, it's just what I've always had in the past. I was a dealer at one time for some of the manufacturers you mentioned and they build some quality stuff also. Sony has really taken a turn down in there car audio department.

Shane
Old 01-06-09, 12:14 PM
SSmith
Instructor

**** Update 1/6/09 ****

Just a small update. Got everything playing but the sub. Front doors sound incredible with 300 watts on each door. Midbass is incredible. It's nice to have the gain on the amps almost off. Rear speakers is another story. I thought the Focals would be okay for rear feel.............there not. Way to harsh and no amount of EQ would help. Called Troy Audio and he hooked me up with a set of Morel Tempo coax's (5 1/4) for the rear along with a Alpine DVA-S690 DVD changer for my glove box. Hope to have it all this week. Changer is going to turn out pretty slick where it's going.

Gauge cluster came back and it turned out great too. I'll be posting some updated pics soon.

Shane
Old 01-06-09, 02:58 PM
97RSPSCTT
Pole Position

very nicely done. great job on the wiring
Old 01-06-09, 05:20 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Worked on the tweeter grills tonight. Original grill had grill cloth that was removed and had the following quarter sized opening of holes. Needless to say my tweeters were getting blocked considerably. Broke the drill and bits out and opened it up a little. Much better now. Going to put new cloth on and ready to go. First pic is stock grill.

Shane
Attached Thumbnails 92 SC 300 Install Begins (Version 2)-stock-grill.jpg  
Old 01-06-09, 05:23 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Pic is after I drilled a few more holes. The whole cover is drilled. Just needs new cloth now and ready to go. I ordered a chocolate colored grill cloth that should go well with the factory trim.

Shane
Attached Thumbnails 92 SC 300 Install Begins (Version 2)-drilled-grill.jpg  
Old 01-06-09, 05:26 PM
camberSC
Lexus Champion

Beautiful set up Shane.
Old 01-06-09, 06:19 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That's going to be clean man, interesting set-up. me likey
Old 01-07-09, 11:00 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice setup. Had a quick question for you...do you think that would would be able to mount a 10W6 on the middle pint up to the stock hole. After i finish my engine work I am going to redo the stero I have becasue I want to conceal everything and be able to use the trunk. Currently I have my 300/4 running my JL coax in the front and then my 500/1 was running my 10w6 but that blew so I am buying another one.

I was looking at the deck you built and was wondering if there is more than the 6.25" mounting depth that would be needed.
Old 01-07-09, 11:41 AM
jefthim
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Very nice so far! Just curious where you are at with your Sub? I'd love to see what you do with the spare tire compartment.
Old 01-07-09, 03:15 PM
SSmith
Instructor

ZMEGOBY,

Not possible without serios mods. I'd wait till JL releases there 12TW5 and you could make that work. The back deck would need to be cut but you could build a sealed enclosure for it under the decklid that would work. It's about the only driver out there that would work. You only have a little over 4 inches of clearence back there.

jefthim,

I actually worked on the sub enclosure a little last night. I should have some pics up this weekend. It's actually very simple. Something that could be removed later without problems.

Shane
Old 01-09-09, 07:07 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Got the rear baffles done today. Original plastic baffle held a 4 inch coax. Made an adapter to fit the Morel Tempo 5 inches I got from Troy Audio. Turned out easy and quick.

Shane
Attached Thumbnails 92 SC 300 Install Begins (Version 2)-baffle-pics.jpg  

Quick Reply: 92 SC 300 Install Begins (Version 2)