Sponsored by:

Help please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-08, 06:38 PM
ROBGS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please!!!

Hello , i was woundering if two of this kickers (solo baric 15 L7) would be right for my ride? (1st gen gs300)and are the worth the money? I't been a long time sice i had a system (1996 lol) .One more thing what kind of amp would push this the best? thank you.
Old 12-06-08, 09:27 AM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

L7's are awesome subs. They are top of the line for kicker except for the monster SoloX. I definitely recommend these, I have their identical circular twin the CVX and it is awesome. To push these right I would recommend at least 500 RMS Watts for each. They can handle 1000 watts RMS each.
Old 12-06-08, 11:31 AM
ROBGS300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by captainsc
L7's are awesome subs. They are top of the line for kicker except for the monster SoloX. I definitely recommend these, I have their identical circular twin the CVX and it is awesome. To push these right I would recommend at least 500 RMS Watts for each. They can handle 1000 watts RMS each.
thank's for the help, would you be able to give me the name of a good amp for these sub?i have a old school earthquake but i know it's to weak lol..
Old 12-06-08, 02:02 PM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

I use a simple TMA 250.1 that gets the job done very well, upgrading to a 500.1 soon. With personal experience with TMA amps I highly recommend them. They make a 1000 watt amp too. True consistent power is how I can describe them. Otherwise there's always no wrong with Alpine (MRP-M1000) and Kicker. There are also many other good brands that are out their that I cant name. These are just my personal opinions that hopefully can help. The TMA is very affordable and consistently good amp.
Old 12-06-08, 04:05 PM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have them in my GS... it really bumps, you will be making alarms sound off. When I really turn it up items in my house vibrate
I have mine mounted all the way back so I was not able to get a ported box cause I still want access to my spear tire. Its recommend you get a ported box for 100% performance.

As for amp I have a kicker (06ZX1500.)... RMS Power Range : 1500 Watts
Power (watts): 750W x 1 @ 4-Ohms * Power (watts): 1500W x 1 @ 2-Ohms

Last edited by lowKut; 12-07-08 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-07-08, 09:17 AM
ROBGS300
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys for all the info you guys are great.I'm definitely going to go with the L7's and the kicker amp.I'll let you guys know how it sound when i get it all together.
Old 12-07-08, 11:06 AM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ROBGS300
Thanks guys for all the info you guys are great.I'm definitely going to go with the L7's and the kicker amp.I'll let you guys know how it sound when i get it all together.
Good luck!! Make sure you post some pictures when you are done.
Old 12-09-08, 08:02 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man that's way overkill! Spend some money on mids and his and just get some infinity kappa perfect 12's with 800 clean watts rms, it will be overwhelmingly loud and you'll have enough money left to get a good component set like some used morel's on ebay.. Two 15's like that is just asking to be in constant pain and not really anything to do with music at all... ONE of those would be overkill unless you're trying to compete in spl or something...

You can get the kappa perfect's on ebay for about 100 each and they will sound better than those l7's in terms of quality and will still get retarded loud. I just run one with 500w and it's perfect. Matches well with some good quality components too. Some of the cleanest subs ever made. Read up on em and you'll see what I mean.

Trust me, people will hear them outside the car very well, two kappa perfect's will rattle your eyeballs with enough CLEAN power.

(I'm back trolling the A/V forum cuz my girls got a new lex now)

SECONDLY- An old school earthquake is NOT by ANY means weak. The A200DHC is a freakin monster and would beat two L7's with the proper ohm load setup. I think they did about 1500w rms or something and they're digital too, so really efficient.

I have an old school MTX 1500dx that does a clean kilowatt at 2ohm and is just a small ugly black box with gold letters on it, but one of the best sub amps made to date.

Another good amp is an older punch 1500bd, 1000bd, a memphis ST1100d *tiny but does 1100w clean and it's digital, seriously the size of a small 40w amp at walmart, old MTX 1500dx, PPI 2600 will do, old Zapco's will destroy subs, xtant's will too, etc.... LOTS of good old used amps out there that are well able to rattle your brains mushy and leave you with hearing damage.

Here's a start for you: Memphis 1100w @ $400 shipped http://cgi.ebay.com/MEMPHIS-MCD1000-...QQcmdZViewItem

Memphis 1500w $400 shipped-- VERY good amps-- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Memph...DVW#ht_500wt_0

New Earthquake 1000w monoblock $290 shipped-- This is a steal....
http://cgi.ebay.com/T2000W-D1-Earthq...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by MJHSC400; 12-09-08 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-09-08, 08:32 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Here's another thing you might want to check out while you're at it.
If you're not afraid to steer clear of the mainstream and try something different, elemental designs has some very good quality control and some great engineering, on par with JL audio according to most anyone that has used their products.

This is a package deal they have for $450 or so that you would be astounded by no doubt. I'm just trying to shed some light on some options others may not think about.. Read the reviews people have posted about their products. This sub is like a JLw7 in terms of performance, and will get nasty loud, louder than you think, and the amp does 900w RMS clean at 2ohm.... This would be more along the lines of a wind machine than a sub it would move your hair so much.
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=759

13av.2 specs tasty!
13av2 sub reviews--
ED nine.1 amp reviews
ED's audio forum

Back in the day, in 96 that is, two 12's were loud, but today, one 12w7 is louder than two 12w6's from back then could ever be, and can handle more power and sound better too... All that to say that today, one sub will surprise you with how far engineering has come, and it only takes one good 12 in a proper built box and one good amp with 1000w to literally slap you around. They've come a long way man, and single subs sound better than pairs too, and take up less space. You can fit all that sound I'm talking about into 1 cu-ft sealed or about 2 cu-ft ported, whereas 2 15's would take up massive space, the whole trunk really... I also doubt you'll go ported, since that would take up about 8 cubic feet for two 15's, meaning that one ported 12 could get close to just as loud with the right power, while sounding cleaner by far, and playing a little higher where it can blend well with your components...

Last edited by MJHSC400; 12-09-08 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-12-08, 07:04 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, so I guess nobody believes me, or thinks a Kicker L7 is some kind of top end sub....

Watch this. And this.

Now go do that with your L7 and then I'll listen.

Last edited by MJHSC400; 12-12-08 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-12-08, 08:54 PM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

No...I know that E.D (lol) is a good brand. I recommend both. I'm a kicker fan, but if I had the money to throw around I would experiment with other brands...but I dont.
Old 12-13-08, 09:24 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Well, for $450, you get a sub that resembles king kongs ****in nutz, much like a W7 if not meaner, AND a 1200w RMS amp....

I just dont know how much cheaper it can get than that.

If you bought them seperate even from ED it would cost about $700, but I think a JL W7 normally cost that just by itself and this company easily holds up to their quality.

I won't knock on kicker, they have really good amps, but you also pay alot for them and there's other stuff that may be a little better for even less money, but their subs even though they've always been loud havent ever been what I would consider close to the best, and I would rather buy a used Digital Designs sub than any brand new kicker or JL sub all day long, and you can get them for the same or even less money, and a single 12 of that caliber will make you have IBS if you listen loud enough.

Ive heard of guys hitting 155~160 db legal with a single DD 12 and other brands too and now these ED subs are showing up with the same BL (motor force) and XMAX (peak to peak travel) of over 140mm or about 3" stroke linear with voice coil still in the gap, and if it's hitting hard enough the suspension can take it and the freakin thing will jump out of the gap with enough power and pound like mother of sandwiches lost children! These newer long stroke subs are taking over because they get louder than any other pair of subs can and sound even better due to the cone material being made very very rigid and light which is good for durability but has an inherent tradeoff of giving very good sound quality which I and many others like to have.

My argument was that the right single sub, amp, and correct enclosure will outdo any pair of subs no matter how big in an all around contest that includes sound quality and even possibly spl too, but may not go as low past 15hz, but who ever listens to 15hz test tones anyhow.... You can get more sound in less space with less money and keep more of your trunk.

You also get the satisfaction of telling people, "Yeah man, it really is just one 12, I promise it's not 4 15's", plus the fact of retaining a lot of sound quality that you will lose going to a huge square woofer or any large woofer for that matter, the larger cones just cant move as fast so they won't sound as good when you're listening to Madonna or Christmas music (LOVE Madonna ).

Last edited by MJHSC400; 12-13-08 at 09:39 AM.