Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Fuzzy stereo, getting worse, can anyone help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-08, 07:30 PM
EyesOnly
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuzzy stereo, getting worse, can anyone help?

I've got a 2000 GS 400 with the stock Nakamichi system (i.e. no changes), and a few months ago, I thought I blew a tweeter (fuzzy sounds coming on high notes from passenger tweeter).

Recently, the sound quality has been degrading from "ok" to "awful". Midrange bass is fuzzy and static-sounding, although deep bass seems just fine. It seems to come mostly from my door speakers in the front (and occasionally both tweeters).

I don't have any idea what to do- I refuse to believe that my front door speakers are ALL blown, but I have ZERO idea how to test for problems. Could it be a loose connection somewhere? Where? Behind the stereo- and is that even possible?

I can't really afford to pay a dealer to figure this out, but I'm afraid a car audio place would just tell me "buy new speakers and see what happens". I can't afford to buy 4 new nakamichi speakers right now, either...

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you have any advice. I'm taking in to a car stereo shop this weekend to replace the one tweeter that I bought (since I thought that was the problem).

Thanks!
Old 12-10-08, 09:55 AM
Emil
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you any good with tools?

remove the door cards and see what the speakers are like,won't cost you anything and can check if they're ok
Old 12-11-08, 03:22 AM
Taran
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

There's a very good chance that your speakers are not blown, but rather a problem with the Head Unit itself. Take a quick look at this thread...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...nakamichi.html

It may not seem relevant to your situation, but please note:
Once the sound cuts out from the speakers, and you turn the volume very loud, you hear nothing but crackle and fuzzy sound. I think in your case, instead of having a single channel cut out (usually right, sometimes left), you've had BOTH channels cut out, producing very VERY poor sound.

As stated in the other thread, I hope to take the Nakamichi HU apart over the holidays (with the help of a friend) and report my findings. There's still hope.

-TM