Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Hybrid DVD W/5.1 & 8.1 - Possible??

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-08, 09:03 PM
SAR41WY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hybrid DVD W/5.1 & 8.1 - Possible??

Have 06 LX 470. Ver 5.1 Nav Gen 4.

Had the Ultimate Lockpick 1 & Vais SL2I & remote start installed today. Seems to all work great. All Bluetooth functions work with no interaction by me. Only one button to push to bypass Destination Feature. Sirius seemd to intergrate with buttons from steering wheel. And DVD plays in motion. So far so good.

Also picked up the Nav Ver 8.1. Will try to make a hybrid DVD with the 5.1 & 8.1. Lockpick said the destination feature will not work with 8.1 but all else will. So my next step will be to try to make a Hybrid DVD using the 5.1 & 8.1 Of course, my DVD burner does not do DL DVD burn. So will look for one tomorrow and see if I can get this to work. Have been reading all post I could find on doing this. Have not seen where anyone has made a hybrid with the 8.1 disc yet. Does anyone know if it has or can be done.

If not, I guess I will be the test subject. I have Roxio Easy CD Creater 5 Platinum right now, Have been needing to upgrade. Does anyone recommend a better one such as Sonic or any other one. Since I know I have to upgrade, want to at least get one that will burn the hybrid DVD. Do not burn a lot of DVDs or Cds, mostly for data backup. So any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-26-08, 08:41 PM
SAR41WY
Driver School Candidate

Had a very interesting time working on this hybrid disc today. Copied all files from both DVD’s into separate folders (5.1 & 8.1). Then made another folder (Hybrid) and pasted all of 8.1 into it. Then copied the loading.kwi from the 5.1 folder and replaced the 8.1 kwi in the hybrid folder. Then used Roxio Creator 2009, External Memorex MRX-530LE CD/DVD Recorder and Memorex DVD+R DL Recordable 8X 8.5GB 240 in Disc.

Used instructions from several post found here and compiled what I thought would work best with what I had to set up the options in Roxio. Seemed to burn with no problems. Burned faster than I expected. Started out at 2X and was up to 8X at times. Verify was even faster.

Had very odd results in vehicle. Since I already had the 5.1 loaded in my nav, I just put the Hybrid disc into drive and started it up. Did not reload because it had not been cleared out. Had to try. Looked like it was working great. Still had override function available by touch screen steps. All map coverage showed the new 8.1 coverage. Looking good. Started trying different functions and all was working right till I pushed the “POI Name” button. Map icon under “change” disappeared and screen stayed right there. Had to back out and go back in to get map to reappear. Same thing would happen when pushing the “Address”, “Intersection”, “Freeway Ent/Exit” and “Phone” buttons. All other buttons worked right, “POI Category”, “Emergency”, “Memory”, “Map”, and “Coordinates”. Looked thru all screens to make sure everything else looked right, time zone, map area assigned to my location etc. Could not find anything that looked wrong.

So I then pulled the negative cable and waited. Then put in Hybrid Disc and it loaded when powered up. Same exact problems. Same buttons did the same things. Pulled neg cable again then loaded 5.1 just to see. It worked right. All buttons worked, had the old coverage and everything else. Back to the way it was. Pulled neg cable again then loaded the factory 8.1 version. It loaded and worked just like it was suppose to. All new coverage and LOST override feature. BUT then something really odd happen. I lost the use of the Phone buttons on the steering wheel. Now really confused. So I pulled cable again and reloaded 5.1 version. Everything back to the way it was. Old coverage and now the phone buttons work on the steering wheel again. The phone buttons were working when I had done the first two loads with the hybrid disc.

My next plan is to try to burn another disc. This time I will open Roxio and pull the files straight from the factory disc into Roxio and see what happens.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? PLEASE!!!

Sorry for the long post, but it took all of this to explain.
Old 12-28-08, 01:16 PM
micktick
Driver School Candidate

Default Did your reburned DVD work?

I just got my 8.1 and before I create a hybrid would appreciate any further status on your situation. Thanks.
Old 12-28-08, 05:01 PM
SAR41WY
Driver School Candidate

No. I had the same problems. POI Names and others would still make the map disappear. Just like before. It did the exact same thing. So I don't think I had any problems with the burning process. The first time I had forgot to disable my Norton, so did it this time and it made no difference.

My unit is a Generation 4. That may also be another problem. Don't know. I am at a lost right now. I have rebooted (pulled power) several times now over the last few days trying different loading sequences. I loaded the 5.1 then just put the hybrid disk in. Above problems, but had override feature and new coverage. Rebooted, loaded just hybrid, same problems, had override. Rebooted, loaded just 8.1, everything works like it suppose to, no override. Rebooted , loaded 5.1 back, works with override back and old coverage.

The loading.kwi file in both of my versions are the exact same size. I quess next I will try to play around with some different files mix and matching the files from both versions and see what happens. I just a little afraid that if I get the wrong combination, it may lock everything up and even a reboot will not save me. Anyone have any thoughts on this. I would sure appreciate knowing if anyone else has tried this method of using different files from both versions or am I just asking for trouble.

HELP PLEASE!!!
Old 03-15-09, 08:43 PM
j-spizzy
Driver School Candidate

anyone successfully create a hybrid 8.1 / 5.1 disk?
Old 03-15-09, 10:06 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the simple answer is NO
Old 06-18-09, 03:06 PM
mergle69
Driver School Candidate

Cool Hybrid 5.1 / 8.1 Nav

I have a hybrid 5.1 / 8.1 Nav DVD that I made that works on my 2006 IS250. Just installed the DVD, pulled the TV1 fuse to reset the system, and voila. I can override the system by going into the volume screen.

It was a bit of pain to make. I went through a bunch of DVDs in the process. However, I do have one extra one that I would like to sell for $50 to offset my time and effort so please email me if you are interested in buying it. I will send you a Paypal invoice and then the DVD.

Last edited by mergle69; 06-18-09 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-26-14, 05:04 PM
Mickeypro
Driver School Candidate

Anyone create any gen 4 hybrid that seems to work? I have 4.2 and 10.1, but couldn't create a hybrid with those.