Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Help a fellow out (searched and read!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-09, 07:34 AM
OBEEWON
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help a fellow out (searched and read!)

I used to be deep into sound, and actually did installs for friends (hacking Bose systems and such) But now Im old and it's been forever!! I've pretty much forgotten everything.

So I have been searching and reading for a few weeks now. Ive read through just about every post related to my issue but I still have some very specific questions.

First Ill describe my problem.

Pioneer premium sound in a 92 SC300

Low sound at max volume like many have expirienced. BUT the difference is sometimes its intermittent. I could get full volume at times with the key in the on position without the engine running, or if my RPM's dropped below 500. At one point things like braking, turn signal affected it as well. The subwoofer will come on randomly as well under similar conditions.

So now to my questions.

1. Is this an amp problem as I suspect?

2. Is it usual for the subwoofer amp and speaker amps to go out simultaneously?

3. can the existing 12v wire be used to power an aftermarket amplifier, or is a thicker gauge wire needed. Basically can the existing wiring going to the stock amp suffice for an aftermarket amp.

I am looking for the simplest fix, and I would like to keep as much of the car original as possible as it is in good condition. Im not looking for amazing sound. I just need to hear what playing! (this is my daily)

I hope someone can shed some light.

Thanks!
Old 01-14-09, 12:13 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Absolutely seems like a BAD GROUND or other poor connection. I'd go through the whole system and check all connections. If your car is a '92, that's about right for when things start coming loose, unglued, unscrewed, oxidized, corroded, etc. Tighten/wiggle all connectors, and preferably spray with contact cleaner (remove/spray/replace). Check all hard grounds under hood and in trunk, at amp.
You may need to pull your radio out and glove compartment to do this right, but I'd start in the trunk or wherever your amp is in the SC.
Old 01-14-09, 06:14 AM
OBEEWON
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the help.

I have checked the connections in the trunk and a few else where. Doesn't seem to affect anything, but it is very possible I havn't reached the bad spot.

Do you have any idea where a central ground would be for the sound system? Seeing as though both amps do not work/barely work they must be on a similar ground. I forgot to mention my attenna does not work either.