Sponsored by:

Kill Switch for Amp/Sub Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-09 | 10:19 PM
DONT SLEEP
Pole Position

Default Kill Switch for Amp/Sub Question

Hey guys,

I just got my Sub and Amp installed by my friend and we got everything done, but the kill switch. He said since I had a stock head unit I would need to get a switch wired in to shut off the amp and the sub. Isn't there a way to bypass that and just make it turn on and off with the car being on and off? I don't really want to mount any switches anywhere and it's much more convenient just having it run with the normal car battery power. Any ideas?
Old 01-28-09 | 10:57 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bombzhome
Hey guys,

I just got my Sub and Amp installed by my friend and we got everything done, but the kill switch. He said since I had a stock head unit I would need to get a switch wired in to shut off the amp and the sub. Isn't there a way to bypass that and just make it turn on and off with the car being on and off? I don't really want to mount any switches anywhere and it's much more convenient just having it run with the normal car battery power. Any ideas?
You shouldn't need a kill switch since all modern amps use a remote turn on. A remote turn on allows the amp to turn off unless you apply a low current 12V power to it. This could be the remote turn on from the head unit, or simply any 12V ignition source since ignition sources supply 12V when the ignition is turned to ACC or On (Sometimes called Ignition 2) and supplies no voltage when you turn the ignition off, thus turning off the amp as well.
Old 01-29-09 | 07:39 AM
DONT SLEEP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
You shouldn't need a kill switch since all modern amps use a remote turn on. A remote turn on allows the amp to turn off unless you apply a low current 12V power to it. This could be the remote turn on from the head unit, or simply any 12V ignition source since ignition sources supply 12V when the ignition is turned to ACC or On (Sometimes called Ignition 2) and supplies no voltage when you turn the ignition off, thus turning off the amp as well.
We would have to take apart the ignition or head unit and tap into one of the wires right? Seems like this might even be a bigger headache.. lol
Old 01-29-09 | 10:50 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

look for the acc fuse in your interior fuse box
if you tell us what kinda car you have that would help, because i know the gs has another way to do it and etc
Old 01-29-09 | 11:01 PM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PK_Celsior
if you tell us what kinda car you have that would help, because i know the gs has another way to do it and etc
What he said
Old 01-30-09 | 07:56 AM
DONT SLEEP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PK_Celsior
Oh, sorry. I have a 93 SC400.
Old 01-31-09 | 06:20 AM
DONT SLEEP
Pole Position

If I locate the ACC fuse, where do I go from there?
Old 01-31-09 | 06:39 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Locate where the OEM radio fuse is.. Just buy an OEM fuse adder..or for temp use...wrap a wire around the OEM 15A (radio fuse) or for a more permanent temp solution.solder the wire to one of its prongs