Sponsored by:

Fosgate Amp

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-09, 12:28 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack
I talked with someone who I know that works extensively with RF, and is actually familiar with the car because of mine and he said that this is a bad idea no matter which amp you choose. The stock Nak/Nokia sub is not setup to have that much power going through it, nor is it going to be able to be controlled effectively by the amp once it gets out of it's gap (overexcursion due to overpowering). It's going to be a good way to blow the sub and smoke either amp, in other words.

You would do well to place a small molded enclosure up there with an aftermarket 10" in there if you are concerned about space. A good shop can fab something up for you that will work well. As to the price, I won't even speculate. I know that if I were doing it, you'd be looking to spend at least $500 for the labor and materials due to the fact that it's a tight fit and each one will need to be completely custom engineered.

If your heart is set on running an amplified (well, more amplified ) sub, get aftermarket - stock sucks.

Big Mack
I was thinking a budget way but, seems like everyone is saying get an aftermarket sub. In that case, I would have to put some dynomat so it wont vibrate do I?
Old 02-02-09, 12:30 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Which 10" sub aftermarket should I get to fit with the Rockford Fosgate amp? I'm not looking for a sub to wake up the whole village, I want clean/clear just enough bass.
Old 02-02-09, 01:54 AM
Ryeno
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I listed 3 good websites above. wooferetc, onlinecarstereo and sonicelectronix

Anyways powering up your stock sub with a new amp is a sure fire way to blow out your system.

If you want a good entry-level setup. Get 2 of these and this amp Also you'll need a cap On top of that you will need a circuit braker or fuse and wiring for the amps plus your battery ground. I get the cables at mar vac. Also unless you have an aftermarket hu, you'll need line converters for the signal that goes into your stock sub amp, so it will work on your new amp.

The system i just built for you is essentially equal if not a little bit better then the system i have right now. Personally i would skip that setup all together and just get a jl w6 system.

Also if you put that system in a ported box it'll be very loud. I like sealed boxs tho, they hit nicer and are safer.

Last edited by Ryeno; 02-02-09 at 02:04 AM.
Old 02-02-09, 05:07 PM
12volt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Should I go with 4 ohm or 2 ohm? What's the difference?
It doesn't really matter ....its more of matching the correct woofer to the amplifier. The P300-1 is the safer bet because it will accept and play a lower impedance than the P200-2. That is by design.

Rockford will also have a powered subwoofer available in May that solves all of the above problems. This will be a tuned box, amplifier, woofer combo with a 12" sub and 300 watt amplifier. Disregard if timing is a concern.
Old 02-02-09, 08:04 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Most grateful for your comments. Still deciding which 10" aftermarket sub to get. Still wanna try amping the stock sub see what happens. If it doesn't turn out good then must buy another sub. Might have to put dyno mat if they vibrate too much. BTW, I heard removing the stock sub is a PAIN?! Correct?
Old 02-03-09, 03:01 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Most grateful for your comments. Still deciding which 10" aftermarket sub to get. Still wanna try amping the stock sub see what happens. If it doesn't turn out good then must buy another sub. Might have to put dyno mat if they vibrate too much. BTW, I heard removing the stock sub is a PAIN?! Correct?
Hooking up an amp to your stock up is a terrible idea. 2 things can happen. You could run the same amount of watts as your current amp, which means you just wasted your money replacing it. Or you'll blow out either the sub or the amp. Either way you wasted your money.

Also 2 subs will move more air then 1 sub. So that means 2 subs running 250 watts rms will hit harder then 1 sub running 500 watts rms. Not to mention free air subs suck.

BTW your getting way to far ahead with yourself. Figure out a system that will work before you even consider using dynomat or its effects.

P.S. On a person note, if i were you, i would be taking the advice of people who actually know about car audio.

Last edited by Ryeno; 02-03-09 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-04-09, 12:08 AM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i would look for a jl w3v2 it does 300 watt rms. it would depend one which version you get since they have the dual 2ohm and dual 4ohm. you probably go with the dual 4ohm so you can wire it in parallel to 2ohm. which you can use on the p300.1 amp you can also look at the older punch 325.1 which is way cheaper. just a suggestion hehe. not many people like the newer model fosgate. i had 2 jl 12w3v2 on 2 rf p325.1 and they work excellent.
Old 02-04-09, 11:38 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for putting time with your great comments. I did not liked the 2 channel setup just bridging the subwoofer only. Now I want to go with a P400-4 Rockford Fosgate 4-channel amp. Amping the 2 front doors and the subwoofer. Please feel free to post comments on this thread. Thank you CL members!

Thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...ml#post4225828
Old 02-05-09, 12:55 AM
Ryeno
Banned

When i red your post i thought of that you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink analogy.

Look if you want a sound system thats better then your current one. You have to SPEND MONEY. No way around it. You get what you pay for.

Also whats wrong with a 2 channel amp bridged for a pair of woofers?

Last edited by Ryeno; 02-05-09 at 01:03 AM.
Old 02-05-09, 10:22 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ryeno
When i red your post i thought of that you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink analogy.

Look if you want a sound system thats better then your current one. You have to SPEND MONEY. No way around it. You get what you pay for.

Also whats wrong with a 2 channel amp bridged for a pair of woofers?
"MONEY" has been spent. Did the whole entire speakers and woofer for 600 bucks. Good deal. Now just thinking about the 4-channel amp.