Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

is something wrong with my door speakers in my sc300?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-09, 02:26 PM
booja
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default is something wrong with my door speakers in my sc300?

i bought my sc used from a car lot in the "ghetto" side of town. the previous owner had put a system and head unit and replace things here and there.

when i got it the lot said they had to get a new head unit because the previous owner took everything out.

when i went to put my stuff in it there were wires everywhere that werent used and a blown after market sub where the stock one goes. the cd changer was taken out and the factory amp was gone. the prev owner hard wired the head unit to the car... and when i did mine i just did the same thing because i had a hard time looking for a harness.

heres the problem. everything works fine. but the front speakers and tweeters are really weak and not loud at all. the rear speakers are 2 to 3 times louder than the front. i have to put the fader more to the front to even it out. the owner before did replace all the speakers and i think the rear has larger speakers but the front are still small 4" ones but after market 2 ways.

if the back speakers have 5.25 or 6.5 inch speakers and the fronts are 4" would it make that much of a sound difference? or is something wrong with the wiring in my car... it looks awful behind my head unit thanks to the other owner
Old 03-03-09, 06:39 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Size wouldnt make a HUGE difference as you describe. Were the door speakers rewired or are you using the factory wires? Open the door panel or get a different set of speakers and wire them directly to the head unit (to rule out wiring) better to use the ones in the door so you can eliminate wiring and bad speakers. If by hooking the speakers directly to the head unit they come out louder, then you know its a wiring problem. Run new wires and you're done. This is assuming you put a new aftermarket deck. Its possible that the speakers are WAY under powered if they demand more power then the deck can put out (but probably not that) When you say "hardwired" the deck, I'm assuming he cut the factory wires and hooked his deck up right? If so I can easily assume that the rest of the wiring is crap and would believe that wires are exposed somewhere like between where the factory amp was and the speakers in which they may be touching each other or grounding off where it shouldnt and that would in some cases reduce the sound and not actually shut off. I'm typing in a hurry with very little thinking so I hope this doesnt sound like I dont know what I'm talking about! But wiring is what you want to rule out first...

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 03-03-09 at 08:43 AM.