Sponsored by:

Pioneer 700BT Wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-09, 10:46 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pioneer 700BT Wiring help

Alright so after searching a few pages on this I realized that the SC300 is a PIA to install a new HeadUnit in and keep the stock sub working lol. Now the questions I'm about to ask I know have been brought up and answered before but honestly I think it would be easier if it was in one area, so I decided to ask them again. I have both Metra Harnesses on hand 70-1761 and 70-8112, but after reading all kinds of posts I'm honestly not sure how to hook this damn thing up lol..........now I'm not a pro by any means, but I have done installs like this before on other cars without any issues but the SC is giving me a headache.

I have a 97 SC300 with the stock Pioneer system (tape deck, cd changer) I want to install a Pioneer AVICF700BT and keep the use of the stock sub and amp (if necessary I will go aftermarket with the amp and sub, which ever is easier). After reading a few posts it seems as if the best way to install an aftermarket headunit is to hardwire and not use the hardnesses. I was looking at the pinout schematic found here http://www.intellexual.net/faq/lexusstereo.swf, but honestly I'm not sure about a few of the connections.

The Pioneer has the following wires:

Power Harness

White: + Front Speaker
White/Black: - Front Speaker

Gray: +Front Speaker
Gray/Black: - Front Speaker

Green: + Rear Left Speaker
Green/Black: - Rear Left Speaker

Violet: + Rear Right Speaker
Violet/Black: - Rear Right Speaker+

Yellow: +Battery
Red: 12V On/Off
Orange/White: Lighting Switch Terminal
Black: Ground

Light Green: Parking Brake
Blue: Antenna Control
Violet/White: Reverse Gear Signal Input

RCA Harness

Front Output
Sub Output
Rear Output
Rear View Camera In
Video Input
Audio Input

^^^^all the above are RCA

Now on the same RCA harness there are the following bare wires:

Blue/White: System Remote Control
Yellow/Black: Mute

I understand what all the wires on the Pioneer harness are I'm just not sure which vehicle harnesses to tap and what goes where. From looking at the diagram I would figure that the only harnesses I should be concerned with are

A) Output to amps and light control

D) Subwoofer OutPut and Mute Functions

Am I correct in this or should I be concerned with plugs B and C?

I know this is getting REALLY long and I'm sorry I just want to make sure that I'm doing this right. The way I understand it I would hook it up as follows:

Yellow (battery) hooks to A1 (Amp 12V)

Orange/White (ill) hooks to A2 (ill + to light control rheostat)

Red (12V On/Off) Hooks to A3 (Acc, 12V Remote On)

Black (ground) Hooks to Chassis

Pink (Speed Signal Input) Hooks to NOTHING, not used

Light Green (Parking brake) Hooks to ????? (+ and ground of PB?)

Blue (Antenna control) hooks to antenna

Violet/White (ReverseGear Signal Input) hooks to my camera.

That is as far as I have gone, could someone help me out and tell me if I'm going in the right direction...............or am I a complete moron lol....I will go with the latter lol.

So i guess my questions are as follows:

1. Am I going in the right direction?

2. If I hard wire do I still need the 70-8112?

3. Would be easier if I just went with an aftermarket Amp?

4. Can I just remove the stock volume control and fill the hole?

Any help is greatly appreciated and I'm sorry for how long this turned out.

Last edited by Sup2jzgte; 03-31-09 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-12-09, 11:41 PM
Dark_Eric
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) You are in the right direction. 2) I did not use a harness. 3) Its much, much easier with an aftermarket amp. 4) The stock volume control can be removed.

I have the F700BT installed with the Metra dash kit, Its much much easier using an aftermarket amp! I only wired the antenna/remote turn on lead, 12V constant, 12V, ground, front speakers to the Avic, everything else I used RCA cables (rear & sub) and ran it to my Alpine amp, from the AMP I wired the rear speakers (Aftermarket) and stock sub. It sounds great! Not too loud, not too low! If you want a closer ground; you can look under the shifter plate there is a philips head screw attached to a metal surface in the center, thats your ground wire. For the green park break wire from the Pioneer I attached to the green/white wire under the shifter plate. So when I'm at a stop sign I have access to all the settings without fully applying the parking brake, the normal wire is solid green for the park brake. There is no need to connect the illumination wire because the SC model actually 'brightens' the radio and climate control lights at night, rather than dimming them. The Avic is perfect in day or night without the connection, just set the brightness on the Avic to 8 of 10. As far as mute goes there is an onscreen pause button to pause the music at anytime during any playback setting.

Lastly (I know this is off topic) but I recommend connecting a USB flash drive to the USB connector rather than an Ipod as the Flash drive can store movies, music pictures and its faster than SD. Plus its a lot safer to leave the flash drive in the car hidden between the drivers seat and center console. Thats where I routed the USB cable, and tucked it under the center console. The is a small opening there between the parking break, you can sit the flash drive there. I haven't even opened my Ipod touch yet!

The microphone is also very sensative, so you don't have to follow the instructions on 'where' to put that, you can hide that almost behind the radio, between the upper center console and dash, mine is below the original car sensor to the far right of the ignition. I used adhesive/velcro strip to make the top of the microphone sit there hidden; and everyone that calls can hear me just fine, I even tested it in the back seat and it works perfect.

If you connect an aftermarket amp make sure you change the a/v sound setting to 'power' because the default is set to 'radio' and you won't hear anything from the amp on that setting, it basically removes audio from the RCA connectors. I almost tore everything back apart because of that setting.

Last edited by Dark_Eric; 03-13-09 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-13-09, 12:20 AM
aflak08
Driver School Candidate

This has been some big help. I've been installing a Pyle PLTSD7BT and oh my is the sc300 stereo confusing! It just won't turn on. Ive been using this diagram because it matches my stock system perfectly: http://web.ukonline.co.uk/soarertt/i...diagram_03.jpg

I haven't been sure about what to plug into the "ground". Will that plug under the shifter plate do the trick? what color cord should i be looking for?

Is the ANT cord the only cord that needs to go into the antenna plug? there is also a ANT A and a ANT B.

Currently I have ((not working)):

Yellow (memory battery): +B plug
Red (Power): Acc and power plug
Black (Ground): E, SG, SGND
Old 03-13-09, 01:55 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dark_Eric
1) You are in the right direction. 2) I did not use a harness. 3) Its much, much easier with an aftermarket amp. 4) The stock volume control can be removed.

I have the F700BT installed with the Metra dash kit, Its much much easier using an aftermarket amp! I only wired the antenna/remote turn on lead, 12V constant, 12V, ground, front speakers to the Avic, everything else I used RCA cables (rear & sub) and ran it to my Alpine amp, from the AMP I wired the rear speakers (Aftermarket) and stock sub. It sounds great! Not too loud, not too low! If you want a closer ground; you can look under the shifter plate there is a philips head screw attached to a metal surface in the center, thats your ground wire. For the green park break wire from the Pioneer I attached to the green/white wire under the shifter plate. So when I'm at a stop sign I have access to all the settings without fully applying the parking brake, the normal wire is solid green for the park brake. There is no need to connect the illumination wire because the SC model actually 'brightens' the radio and climate control lights at night, rather than dimming them. The Avic is perfect in day or night without the connection, just set the brightness on the Avic to 8 of 10. As far as mute goes there is an onscreen pause button to pause the music at anytime during any playback setting.

Lastly (I know this is off topic) but I recommend connecting a USB flash drive to the USB connector rather than an Ipod as the Flash drive can store movies, music pictures and its faster than SD. Plus its a lot safer to leave the flash drive in the car hidden between the drivers seat and center console. Thats where I routed the USB cable, and tucked it under the center console. The is a small opening there between the parking break, you can sit the flash drive there. I haven't even opened my Ipod touch yet!

The microphone is also very sensative, so you don't have to follow the instructions on 'where' to put that, you can hide that almost behind the radio, between the upper center console and dash, mine is below the original car sensor to the far right of the ignition. I used adhesive/velcro strip to make the top of the microphone sit there hidden; and everyone that calls can hear me just fine, I even tested it in the back seat and it works perfect.

If you connect an aftermarket amp make sure you change the a/v sound setting to 'power' because the default is set to 'radio' and you won't hear anything from the amp on that setting, it basically removes audio from the RCA connectors. I almost tore everything back apart because of that setting.
AWESOME thanks for the help, If I can find an amp cheap enough I think I'm going to go aftermarket, but as of right now I'm going to stay stock. What I want to do is use my 120gig portable Toshiba HD and fill it with music.

Where did you put your antenna? I'm thinking about putting mine on the deck near the speakers, I really dont want to put it outside because I'm getting the car painted soon.

If I decide to use the stock amp, do you know how I would wire it?
Old 03-13-09, 12:47 PM
Dark_Eric
Driver

Believe it or not, my GPS antenna is right between the center console and the passenger seat and I get 100% reception. I'm in New Jersey. I have it magnified on a metal panel attached to the center console between the p. seat so its hidden. I got the idea after I installed the radio the antenna was just sitting on the floor but it was getting full signal and it immediately knew my street name. So I figured I'd leave it there. It has 8 way direction so if you mount it in the back window it will definitely be fine; but I left mine up front and hidden. The results might be different in your area according to satellite coverage, but mine works perfect, in fact I used today with no issues.

Originally Posted by Sup2jzgte
AWESOME thanks for the help, If I can find an amp cheap enough I think I'm going to go aftermarket, but as of right now I'm going to stay stock. What I want to do is use my 120gig portable Toshiba HD and fill it with music.

Where did you put your antenna? I'm thinking about putting mine on the deck near the speakers, I really dont want to put it outside because I'm getting the car painted soon.

If I decide to use the stock amp, do you know how I would wire it?
120GB is tons of music!!! Enjoy! I only listen to some 200-300 different songs...lol.

Last edited by Dark_Eric; 03-13-09 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-14-09, 02:12 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dark_Eric
Believe it or not, my GPS antenna is right between the center console and the passenger seat and I get 100% reception. I'm in New Jersey. I have it magnified on a metal panel attached to the center console between the p. seat so its hidden. I got the idea after I installed the radio the antenna was just sitting on the floor but it was getting full signal and it immediately knew my street name. So I figured I'd leave it there. It has 8 way direction so if you mount it in the back window it will definitely be fine; but I left mine up front and hidden. The results might be different in your area according to satellite coverage, but mine works perfect, in fact I used today with no issues.

120GB is tons of music!!! Enjoy! I only listen to some 200-300 different songs...lol.
lol yeah I know, but there is always someone different in my car and I have a WIDE variety of musical tast lol. I just want to make sure that I get a great signal everywhere because I'm going to be traveling ALOT with the SC in the very near future and I absolutely suck with directions of any kind.

What I was planning on doing is running the antenna to the back deck and mounting the metal plate right near the sub or putting it on the back window near the pillar.

Do you have any experience with installing this unit and keeping the stock amp?
Old 04-02-09, 09:02 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

So after reading tons of threads on here and getting pretty damn confused from time to time I think I have understand how to achieve what I want to, I just want to be sure before I start.

Now for anyone skipping around and not fully reading what I'm trying to do I will explain it again. My goal is to install a Pioneer AVIC700 and keep the use of the stock amp, speakers and sub.

I picked up the 70-8112 harness (the one that has the RCA's). When I cut off the RCA ends do I wire the positive and negative speaker terminals to the head unit? I was reading a write up on here and it says to hook the positive speaker lines to the headunit harness and the negative speaker lines to the C plug (found here http://www.intellexual.net/faq/lexusstereo.swf). Which do I hook the negative lines to?