Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Here it is the wood panel I have been talking about!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-02, 07:00 PM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here it is the wood panel I have been talking about!!!

This is the piece that I purchased from www.exoticwooddash.com

this is the radio piece blanked out...now all I have to do is measure up my radio and my DVD and cut out the holes....what do you guys think huh???
Attached Thumbnails Here it is the wood panel I have been talking about!!!-pict0001.jpg  
Old 03-09-02, 07:10 PM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

another shot of the piece
Attached Thumbnails Here it is the wood panel I have been talking about!!!-pict0002.jpg  
Old 03-10-02, 05:04 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a great idea. Does that wood piece match the rest of the wood? Show us pics when finished!
Old 03-11-02, 12:57 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GREAT! Now do they have a "full" piece like that for the older GS, a 95-97 LS, and a 95 SC? Need some for a custom radio install...

Better yet, is there ANYPLACE that has matching Lexus PLASTICS? I'm not a big "let's turn our Lexus interiors in to an armoire" But matching wood looks a HELL OF LOT better than non-matching plastic!
Old 03-11-02, 04:40 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by manaray
GREAT! Now do they have a "full" piece like that for the older GS, a 95-97 LS, and a 95 SC? Need some for a custom radio install...

Better yet, is there ANYPLACE that has matching Lexus PLASTICS? I'm not a big "let's turn our Lexus interiors in to an armoire" But matching wood looks a HELL OF LOT better than non-matching plastic!
www.exoticwooddash.com can do it manaray and the wood they have is almost a perfect match (i would say 98% perfect match) just tell them you need a piece blanked out! but I would buy the whole kit from them and then get that one piece blanked out...(that's what I did)
Old 03-11-02, 06:38 AM
ap0718
Lead Lap

How much did that wood piece cost you, if you don't mind me asking????
Old 03-11-02, 07:04 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

That piece by itself is $90 - $100...I bought it with the kit they charged $50 for it but I had to buy the whole kit which was $250.
Old 03-11-02, 03:45 PM
victor
Rookie

Default Bad News?

Hey,
If you cut into that piece of wood you will cut through the lacquer that is on it and over time the lacquer will bubble because the wood will no longer be sealed from the air and moisture. You should have called them with your measurements and let them cut out your measurements for the wood and then seal it with the lacquer. (This is their regular process.) If you look at pieces that are already precut you will notice that even on the sides you can not touch wood. It is all sealed. Try it and see............I hope I am wrong.

Victor
Old 03-11-02, 04:03 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can get the whole kit with a custom made part for your radio for around $200. The company that makes them is Russian so I can get a hookup...just need to find a guy I know there.
Old 03-11-02, 10:30 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm, I would only need the console part. I dont' want all that other wood....I don't like interiors with too much wood...it starts to look kinda fake...

Although some of the older Lexus cars could use a few extra pieces (like the older GS's...but they just need it on the doors)
Old 03-12-02, 12:26 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by manaray
Hmmm, I would only need the console part. I dont' want all that other wood....I don't like interiors with too much wood...it starts to look kinda fake...

Although some of the older Lexus cars could use a few extra pieces (like the older GS's...but they just need it on the doors)
Manaray, I'm totally with you about too much wood. When I bought my woodkit, i only used half the kit. To much wood makes the interior look old. I still have several pieces sitting at home.
Old 03-12-02, 02:28 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree about too much wood stuff. I think it is different with Aluminum or CF kits though.
Old 03-12-02, 04:37 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Here it is the wood panel I have been talking about!!!

Originally posted by xsuperjoex
This is the piece that I purchased from www.exoticwooddash.com

this is the radio piece blanked out...now all I have to do is measure up my radio and my DVD and cut out the holes....what do you guys think huh???
When I installed my wood kit, I noticed that the edges of most of the pieces where curved into the backing material. I think you'll find that when you do cut (90 degree angle) it will look so different then the rest of the other pieces that it will stand out quite a bit.

If you were to cut at an angle, you would see some of the inner material show through and would probably look horrible as well.

Depending on whether you feel 200 is too much to spend for customization of this piece (I think it is), the retrodrive method would probably look much much nicer.

BTW what are you doing with the rest of the kit you purchased...you have full wood interior already?
Old 03-13-02, 07:03 AM
ap0718
Lead Lap

xsuperjoex----got two questions for you

1. Does the wood kit you purchased, match up pretty well to the factory wood???? If so, where did you get it from, can you give me a contact e-mail or phone number???

2. When you put your TV's in the headrest, i'm not sure if you swapped out the rear headrest to fit your TV's in there. That is what I did---so I have the rear headrests in the front seat and the front ones in the back. The problem that I am having is that I cannot keep the headrest up anymore. The stopper is different and because of the weight of the TV, after a couple bumps, it will start to fall. Do you know of a way to switch the headrest stoppers for the front a rear headrests???

Any opinions or suggestions will help alot.

Old 03-13-02, 07:42 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by ap0718
xsuperjoex----got two questions for you

1. Does the wood kit you purchased, match up pretty well to the factory wood???? If so, where did you get it from, can you give me a contact e-mail or phone number???

2. When you put your TV's in the headrest, i'm not sure if you swapped out the rear headrest to fit your TV's in there. That is what I did---so I have the rear headrests in the front seat and the front ones in the back. The problem that I am having is that I cannot keep the headrest up anymore. The stopper is different and because of the weight of the TV, after a couple bumps, it will start to fall. Do you know of a way to switch the headrest stoppers for the front a rear headrests???

Any opinions or suggestions will help alot.

1. It's a 98% match almost perfect....Dave at www.exoticwooddash.com

2. Check your other thread I put something in there that might help you out a lot...because I did put the rear headrests upfront..

Quick Reply: Here it is the wood panel I have been talking about!!!