Basic 'bass' upgrade for 2GS

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-09, 03:58 AM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic 'bass' upgrade for 2GS

hi guys,

i am sorry for beginning a new topic on this, but i have searched & cant get a clear idea of the situation in my head as i am at a total loss with stereo equipment.

Firstly i have a 98 2GS and want to clarify -

1. It has the "Lexus Premium Sound" system, thats what it says on the headunit. Is this the Nakamichi system? It has a 6 Stacker in the glovebox and a factory sub on the rear shelf.

2. The factory sub, is it 10" or 12"?

3. I read that there is a factory amp located somewhere in the boot, but i cant see one. Where is it located? i currently have the boot trim out so i should be able to see it if someone lets me know

Basically i am happy with the overall clarity of the system, but i just want a bit more punch to the bass. What is the cheapest and easiest option? I understand simply replacing the stock sub with another free-air type sub is no good. So what is the next best thing? A sub in a box under the rear shelf?

If i do get a sub in a box in the boot area, can i just hook it up with the cables off the stock sub? Do i need to upgrade the stock amp (whereever it is) if i run an a/m sub?

If i run an a/m sub and amp together in/on a box in the boot under the shelf area, can i just take the wires off the stock amp and use those, or do i need to connect directly to the h/u?

if i go the a/m sub & amp connected direct somehow can i still run the stock sub? is it worth it or better to just d/c it? If i dont want too much bass from my a/m sub when listening to the radio for instance, do i have to click the button on the h/u and turn the Bass right down?

Thanks for bearing with me on these very basic questions, but i just am struggling with putting all of the info together from the various topics people have started. Also if anyone has any suggestions for a good cheap sub that will do the job for me that would be great. i listen to general radio around 50-60% of the time, and CDs like breaks/DnB/Hip Hoop the rest of the time.

thanks for very much for your patience in advance!
Old 03-26-09, 12:46 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by [ant]
hi guys,

i am sorry for beginning a new topic on this, but i have searched & cant get a clear idea of the situation in my head as i am at a total loss with stereo equipment.

Firstly i have a 98 2GS and want to clarify -

1. It has the "Lexus Premium Sound" system, thats what it says on the headunit. Is this the Nakamichi system? It has a 6 Stacker in the glovebox and a factory sub on the rear shelf.

**It's a Pioneer system. Nakamichi will say Nakamichi.***

2. The factory sub, is it 10" or 12"?

***10 inch, 2 ohm.***

3. I read that there is a factory amp located somewhere in the boot, but i cant see one. Where is it located? i currently have the boot trim out so i should be able to see it if someone lets me know

***It is located in the "kick" area, passenger side, to the right of the glove box. You will have to remove some trim and carpet to see the amp. It's about the size of half a sheet of paper, widthwise.***

Basically i am happy with the overall clarity of the system, but i just want a bit more punch to the bass. What is the cheapest and easiest option? I understand simply replacing the stock sub with another free-air type sub is no good. So what is the next best thing? A sub in a box under the rear shelf?

***You can do it that way. It's probably the easiest method.***

If i do get a sub in a box in the boot area, can i just hook it up with the cables off the stock sub? Do i need to upgrade the stock amp (whereever it is) if i run an a/m sub?

***The stock amp itself isn't enough to push an aftermarket 4 ohm sub. You'll lose quite a bit of volume. Best bet is to get a Line Level Converter (takes the high level signal to a signal that can be fed into an aftermarket amp) and a good amp as well as a sub of your choice. SOME amps have a "high level input" so a line level converter isn't needed.***

If i run an a/m sub and amp together in/on a box in the boot under the shelf area, can i just take the wires off the stock amp and use those, or do i need to connect directly to the h/u?

***Use the wires from the sub. You won't be able to get a clean feed from the HU as the stock amp has a very unusual configuration. Easier to just get the wires from the sub.***

if i go the a/m sub & amp connected direct somehow can i still run the stock sub? is it worth it or better to just d/c it? If i dont want too much bass from my a/m sub when listening to the radio for instance, do i have to click the button on the h/u and turn the Bass right down?

***Take out the stock sub. A bit of labor involved.***

Thanks for bearing with me on these very basic questions, but i just am struggling with putting all of the info together from the various topics people have started. Also if anyone has any suggestions for a good cheap sub that will do the job for me that would be great. i listen to general radio around 50-60% of the time, and CDs like breaks/DnB/Hip Hoop the rest of the time.

thanks for very much for your patience in advance!
You might want to do a search on the teardown process to get at the rear sub. It's a bit involved - and it takes about an hour or so if you do the job right.
Old 03-27-09, 12:46 AM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

^ Percy, thanks very much for the reply! i think it was below everyone else in here to answer so the Mod had to come to the rescue!

cheers again,
--Ant
Old 03-27-09, 12:24 PM
Percy

No prob. Good luck with the project!
Old 03-27-09, 04:31 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by [ant]
^ Percy, thanks very much for the reply! i think it was below everyone else in here to answer so the Mod had to come to the rescue!

cheers again,
--Ant
Wouldn't be so quick to assume what's "below everyone else in here to answer...". You got the right answer from the right guy. As for getting the stock sub out of a 2GS having a "bit of labor involved", well, that's a matter of perspective and experience.

Hi Percy.
Old 03-27-09, 05:45 PM
Percy

Hiya Ron!

Haven't heard from you in eons! Us "old timers" can tear out and put a new sub in a few minutes flat!

Modding my Mc amps now...nearly 15 years does things to the internals. And it's still kicking!

How are things?

NOTE: Complete authorization of thread hijacking from this moderator!
Old 03-27-09, 06:59 PM
VIPin626
Rookie

how does this whole free air vs enclosure style work?
Old 03-27-09, 10:42 PM
Percy

Free air uses the deck lid and the entire trunk as it's "enclosure". You have to seal off any air gaps between the trunk and the cabin, otherwise you'll lose bass.

The enclosure box method is just that. You're putting a box in the trunk in a smaller sealed location. But, they get HEAVY very quickly! I once had a 2 cubic foot box in the trunk for a single 12, and it weighed in at around 50 pounds. Maybe more.
Old 03-28-09, 01:58 AM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

RON430 - well from my perspective the topic had a bunch of hits in a couple of days and no answers, so i had thuoght people probably didnt have the patience to answer all my questions aside from the main mod. not accusing people of being unhelpful just saying as i saw it! i know i feel the same when people ask real basic things about wheels or something, quite a lot of people look but just havent the time or patience to type a proper reply so they assume someone else will answer!

but yes, it was 1 complete answer so just what i needed
Old 03-28-09, 10:19 AM
Percy

Maybe I should just post up sections of "The Book".

Hard to believe that was 10 years ago.

Ron, you still have your copy?
Old 03-28-09, 12:27 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its a 10'' free air. If your looking for a small upgrade, get a kicker VR10. It only has like 150RMS but if your looking for a little more bass, there you go. But if you want to add a box and a single 12, you can probably run the stock sub, but it wouldn't really be worth it.
Old 03-28-09, 02:39 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Percy
Maybe I should just post up sections of "The Book".

Hard to believe that was 10 years ago.

Ron, you still have your copy?
I have both copies. One to use during the work and one to read for reference and keep the pizza stains off of. Just been other places here and not doing much to either GS. The dyns still sound so good I just never got very interested in tackling the sub but I did replace with another free air for fun. "The Book" should still be made available if my opinion counts. OK, so getting the sub out the first time takes a while, especially if you are semi retarded like me and really don't want to break anything and make sure I do it right. But I will take you word for how quick you can do it eventually. Back surgery a couple of years ago diminishes your desire to spend a lot of time on your back half in the trunk.

Put dyns in my wife's GS and insulated the doors like mine and pretty much got happy with the whole setup. I would be getting a new car but to tell you the truth, even with the faults that the second GS has, there isn't much that gets me excited to replace it with. Even after eight years that doggoned Toyota/Lexus reliability just doesn't give you any reason to worry about things falling apart. Probably will look at something that can get better mileage with performance but there sure isn't much out there yet.

Hope everything is OK with you and everyone here.