Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Planet Audio Subs/Phoenix Gold Amps, are they any good?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-02, 10:26 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Planet Audio Subs/Phoenix Gold Amps, are they any good?

Does anyone know if these are really any good? It's not a big brand, I know, but sometimes, these little brands make some good stuff...

Also, are Phoenix amps (the top of the line "titanium" models) any good?

I know that it's not Velodyne or McIntosh but I decided that I don't want to put that much money into just a sub since I doubt I'll be able to tell the difference...

If Velodyne is the ONLY way to go (be realistic), the let me know, I'll just get 'em in that case...and I know there has to be some killer amps out there (1 or 2 channel, about 400-500W bridged) other than McIntosh...thanks!
Old 03-11-02, 11:05 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Planet Audio is not one of those little companys who is good. Those would be Image Dynamics (IDQ subs), Adire Audio (Shiva, Tempest Subs), Digital Designs, ARC Audio (ARC Audio subs = to IDQ but a lil improved).

For Amps it does not matter much what you choose, as long as you get the power you need. Personally I would Pick a class D amp for subs like DEI 600D. You can always go with ARC Audio or Zapco amps...also a great choice.
Old 03-12-02, 12:21 AM
spykedawg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive only seen planet audio subs in spl applications, never in daily driving apps, they're kinda more known for their big class d amps.

i second retros response with just getting the power you need (and in most cases, a nice class d to ease your alternators pain).
Old 03-12-02, 12:31 AM
BabaBooey
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd definitely consider Phoenix Gold to be a high quality product. The 4 channel XS/Tantrum series are great for a lot of power at a pretty low price. Plus they'll work at 2 ohms bridged. Definitely not a "little brand" though.
Old 03-12-02, 01:01 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the input guys...yeah, I when I said "little brand", I was talking about Planet, not Phoenix...heheheh...Phoenix has been around for a LONG time now!

I was asking about the Planet Audio because they have a reverse magnet sub that allows you to use SUPER SMALL enclosures (like 1/2 cu.ft types)

Retro, I'm looking to replace my Mark Lev sub with another 10" freeair or a 10" that can use a super tiny sub box...what do you recommend? I want a high quality sub (which is why I was going with Velodyne)...price doesn't really matter but if I can get a $400 sub that performs 90% of what a $1200 sub can do, I'll get the $400 since I'm not entering any SPL comps any time soon...but then again, I can get the Velodyne 10" active servo sub for $600...

I want to do a "minimal" impact system in my GS430 just to get rid of the Mark Levinson "click of death" problem (by unloading the Mark Levison amp of it's biggest power drain...the sub)

Also, I don't want the sub to overpower the mids/highs...so a Triple 15" sub box is out of the question!

What about the ARC Audio 2100-CXL (380W bridge @ 4 Ohms) pushing a ACC Audio 1004 Sub? Or should I use the 2050-CXL (230W Bridge @ 4 Ohms)?

Do you think I should add a cap? And what's the deal with power/sound cables now a days? Who makes the best?
Old 03-12-02, 01:25 AM
BabaBooey
Driver

I didn't know that you were looking for an amp to power a sub. I agree with the class D if that's the case, the JBL class D amps are awesome and can be had for cheap as dirt from scala1 on eBay (with full warranty as well). Arc makes nice amps, but they're overpriced. I picked my 2100 for $200 back during the elitecaraudio.com deal when Arc was trying to make its name known. It was worth every penny, but now that the same amp goes for $400, there are plenty of other amps I would choose before it. Planet Audio makes good amps, great for the price. Don't know about there subs, though.

I would definitely look into the Adire Brahma for a sub. It's beefy as hell and is designed to work in as little as a .5ft^3 sealed enclosure. You can find them for $380 on Adire's site or ampmanaudio.com. If it drowns out your highs, you can either turn the gains down or use it as an excuse to upgrade your mids/highs.
Old 03-12-02, 02:16 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

What do you guys think of AudioBahn's new Rack Mount series? I can get AudioBahn stuff for free...is their stuff any good?

Baba - Why do I need to go up to Class D?

Like I said, I'm not trying to make this into some SPL world beater...I just want to replace the ML Sub and offload the sub's power needs and to work with the existing system in harmony...I don't want to upgrade the entire car's audio system cuz to tell you the truth, it sounds pretty good...

I don't really want to roll down the street bumping...that's not my idea of "cool"... I just love a nice sounding system. Doesn't have to blow my ears out (I have large caliber firearms for that purpose)
Old 03-12-02, 10:52 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Brachma needs too much power and it is primarily an SPL sub. If you really need high quality sub I would advise Focal. That is probably the closest thing you can get to Velodyne. IDQ and ARC Audio subs are much cheaper, they sound very close to Focal but still not the same.

ARCs are a little exspensive but they look great and have very high quality crossovers. You can only get it at www.ampman.com online (officially) but you will pay retail. E-mail me and I might be able to get you a good waranteed hookup on that.

Ideally you will have Focla 10" sub and an ARC Audio amp. Or for the cheaper but same sounding setup you can get ARC Audio sub and amp.

P.S. PG are nice amps, forgot to mention that.
Old 03-12-02, 06:09 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Planet Audio Subs/Phoenix Gold Amps, are they any good?

Originally posted by manaray
Does anyone know if these are really any good? It's not a big brand, I know, but sometimes, these little brands make some good stuff...

Also, are Phoenix amps (the top of the line "titanium" models) any good?

I know that it's not Velodyne or McIntosh but I decided that I don't want to put that much money into just a sub since I doubt I'll be able to tell the difference...

If Velodyne is the ONLY way to go (be realistic), the let me know, I'll just get 'em in that case...and I know there has to be some killer amps out there (1 or 2 channel, about 400-500W bridged) other than McIntosh...thanks!
Manaray,

Even the 18 year old "boom" kid that I used to know IMMEDIATELY could hear the difference. He was extremely jealous. His was JL W0 and mine..well...

Percy
Old 03-12-02, 08:36 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What do you guys think of AudioBahn's new Rack Mount series? I can get AudioBahn stuff for free...is their stuff any good?

Baba - Why do I need to go up to Class D?

You wouldn't need a Class D, but you won't hear the difference and it will draw less power from your alternator. The same amount of Class D power is generally cheaper than quality Class AB power as well. There are people who will argue against Class D's sounding the same, and maybe with Percy's electronics you could tell a difference, but there won't be an audible difference in almost any system.

A 500 watt amp will not create a major current draw, so IMO it wouldn't make a big difference between a AB or D amp, and if you're willing to pay for the ARC or something similar, then I'd go for it.

As for Audiobahn, I'm not familiar with the Rack Mount stuff; but there are alot of people who use Audiobahn amps and subs and are very satisfied, but also a little higher than normal amount of people who have had problems. Same with Planet Audio. Personally, I haven't used them and there are other brands I'd use before them such as many of those mentioned above. If the Audiobahn is free, you've really got nothing to lose; if you don't like it you're not out anything more than a little time.

IDQ-ARC is an excellent SQ sub at a reasonable price, and the ARC amps are very good. IMO, this would be right up your alley, as well as the Focal or Velodyne for more money if you don't mind spending.

Hope all that rambling helped a little.
Old 03-12-02, 08:54 PM
BabaBooey
Driver

Just because the Brahma is capable of very high SPL numbers doesn't mean that it's not a high quality SQ driver. They have a pretty flat BL curve (and they're working on a new sub with a perfectly flat curve, uh, line) so it sounds pretty much the same at any SPL level up until the VC starts leaving the gap, but that would take absurd amounts of power. And aside from the fact that the CAN get loud without a lot of power, he said he isn't looking for a very loud setup.

Focal makes great subs, but for the Utopia series, he's going to have to spend upwards of $500 for the 11", he may as well buy the Velodyne.
Old 03-12-02, 09:45 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Manaray: Just saw your post, all I can say is that I've used Phoenix gold amps/products for several years now, and have been real happy with them. In fact, when I got my new system installed, I bought all new Phoenix Gold amps, a line driver, and a Cap. Awesome products. Well worth the money. Check out my pics in the gallery if you haven't seen them yet...
Old 03-12-02, 11:34 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for all the input guys...hehehe...damn, I thought this was going to be easy!

Retro, I had a buddy that owns a stereo shop, I'm going to see if he can get the ARC amp...(BTW, I have already asked him for his opinion but I wanted to get some 2nd opinions...he recommend the PG amp with a Planet Audio sub...)...if not, and I decided to go with ARC, I'll hit ya up... Thanks!

I've been looking at the Zapco stuff...the competition line (C2K-3.0X specifically)...but they recommend using their Symbilink system...is this shiat any good?

Percy, other than Velodyne, what do you recommend? It's not that I'm against Velodyne (I'm not, considering I can get them for pretty cheap...also, can you tell me the EXACT model Velodyne I should get...is the HGS?) Also, I noticed that the HGS's need like 1000W or something? (3000 Peak)...uh, what the hell is the deal with that?

Kyle - Thanks for the info...however, I don't want to waste my time if AudioBahn is just "so-so", you know what I mean? I'd rather "do it right" the first time...it's just that the rack mount series looks DOPE!
Old 03-13-02, 12:38 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Brachma is a nice sub no doubt. I am pretty sure it is going to be overkill for a daily SQ system. It will be too loud for the front speakers withought proper equalization and it needs tonns of power. Awesome sub but not in this application.
Old 03-13-02, 06:11 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been looking at the Zapco stuff...the competition line (C2K-3.0X specifically)...but they recommend using their Symbilink system...is this shiat any good?

Percy, other than Velodyne, what do you recommend? It's not that I'm against Velodyne (I'm not, considering I can get them for pretty cheap...also, can you tell me the EXACT model Velodyne I should get...is the HGS?) Also, I noticed that the HGS's need like 1000W or something? (3000 Peak)...uh, what the hell is the deal with that?
Zapco makes some good equipment by reputation. But, I've never had any Zapco gear in the car so I can't really say how good or how bad they are. They're NOT Brax or McIntosh and some of Zapco's internal parts could use some reworking. Easy stuff to mod though.

The Vel sub is a DF12sc. HGS model is for home use. The DF12sc (or 10sc) requires a minimum of 100 wpc rms, but the max is 300 wpc rms. Stick with the max rating...it's better to have some reserve power handy. BTW...IF you get a Vel they specifically recommend that you DO NOT USE ZAPCO. They're tried their amps and it doesn't do the sub any justice. (Subsonic filter)

Other subs...Dyn (of course). But, alas, there's nothing like the Vel in SQ.

Percy