Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Want to make sure this HU will fit...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-02, 12:02 AM
BabaBooey
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Want to make sure this HU will fit...

Wanted to make sure this will fit in the stock HU location of a 92ES300 before I bought it. If anything, it has to be a bit smaller than the stock location. I wouldn't mind any suggestions for similarly priced Double DIN's that would definitely fit the spot, but I know that Pioneer is a quality product, so I would prefer the one I listed. Thanks in advance.
http://www.bsless.com/fhp4000.html
Old 03-16-02, 08:29 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You should do fine. The new HU is probably a *touch* smaller than stock. If possible, contact the manufacturer or distributor for exact measurements.

Percy
Old 03-17-02, 01:04 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think there's any aftermarket unit that's gonna fit in the ES dash without a trim piece. The double DIN should fit, but the stock unit is wider than a DIN, and wider at the top than bottom.

I'm guessing you probably already know that, but I'll put it out there anyway just in case. There are a couple dash kits out there that will fit a single DIN, but don't use the Metra kit; it's cheap plastic and it's textered, doesn't match the climate control. There is another company that makes one that is metal and matches the dash much better. I've got the Metra right now but will be replacing it soon.

Are you still planning on the CD1Pro's and DD mids? I'm gonna be using the DDW6.5's in sealed kicks, undecided on the tweeter as of right now. I might end up with the Vifa XT-25's, but I'd like to find something smaller that'd fit in the kicks more easily. Have you got subs in yet? I'm planning on a 9515 sitting a few inches below the rear deck, with part of the deck cut out and the box sealed to the deck. I might throw it in firing back first and see how it sounds without having to cut the deck, but I have a feeling it'll make a big difference to have it sealed into the cabin.
Old 03-17-02, 05:20 PM
BabaBooey
Driver

Where can I get one of those kits that you're getting? I like the look of the double DINs, but I'm willing to sacrifice looks for convenience.

Yeah, still got the same setup planned. It will probably be a few months before I get enough money to get it together, but I may get my Brahma in as soon as next month and just let my friend use it for a while. Depends on whether or not I can make $360 before the preorder deal ends. As for the DD's, I may try porting them or doing an aperiodic membrane. I've also been told that I could get some increased midrange if I just let the DD's roll off naturally and have them playing between 1100-3500hz with the horns, so I'll see how that turns out.
Old 03-17-02, 10:27 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

I'll give you props if you can fit ported kicks for those DD's with the horns. I've got a set of CD1Pro's that I'm gonna sell, they were getting to be a pain in the a$$ to hang, and had been trimmed so I'd have to put extensions on them; then the kicks would get really cramped. Decided to just switch to normal tweeters and save myself a headache. DD recommends .4 ported tuned to 40 Hz., any smaller and you'll lose midbass and the port would be a real pain (in .4 enclosure, I believe a 1.5" diameter port would be 6" long to get a 40 Hz. tuning) and from what I've heard they wouldn't do very well in an aperiodic membrane. I'm gonna aim for .2 sealed, which should be there best sealed size, although there are people happy with them in less, but once again you'll lose midbass.

I've got the mids mounted on baffles in the kicks with towels around them; and Diamond M5 tweeters right now to get me by until I get new tweets and can finish the kicks. I've got a Symmetry and have the RDAT in the sun visor, I just need to make a trim panel to make it look pretty. That's about all I've got done on my install in the 4 months I've had the car.

From what I hear, you're insane if you want more midrange than the horns will give you by themselves.

Have you done anything with all the wiring located in the kickpanels? I took all the harnesses out of the plastic cups and stuffed them into the space behind it, that gains some significant room. I've thought about moving all that wiring up and cutting the interior panel there to get more room, but the wires will still have to come up through, and there's not much room to move things under the dash on the passenger side, although I've already stuffed one bunch of wires up there.

Lexpusher96 posted the name of the shop he got his dash kit from in the ES forum, he's got the good metal one. Someone else ordered one from the shop and was having it shipped to them, so I would think that would work for the rest of us too. Look for a post on "installing a new HU" or something like that from a few weeks ago, you can see pics of the bad Metra kit there and the good kit.

Enough rambling for now, if you've got any questions about the car, I'll be glad to help if I can. You can e-mail me at kyleharty@hotmail.com. You might have seen me around Termpro, I go by KH there and Sounddomain, I know I used to see you there alot.
Old 03-18-02, 01:13 PM
BabaBooey
Driver

I'm probably going to go with the CD1Pro MH's then. I wanted the get the full sized so I could have the horns covering as much of the midrange as possible, but I've heard that ID isn't making the CD1Pro's anymore and I wouldn't mind the extra space.

Let me know how the DD's sound sealed, I might go with that if the aperiodic setup doesn't seem to be a good choice. I already have very little fiberglassing work, so it's probably best that I don't go with something complicated like porting, and yet again the extra space from going sealed wouldn't hurt.

I'll let you know if I need some help when I get all of this started, which I probably will. I haven't really looked around the car yet to figure out how I'm going to set everything up, so I didn't even there was a bunch of wiring in the kick area. Are you talking about the footrest thing on the drivers side? I have a feeling that thing is going to be a pain to take out. Anyway, thanks for the info, and I'll probably email you with questions within the next few months if I don't just decide to be lazyand pay a shop to do the whole thing.
Old 03-19-02, 10:22 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

I've got the MH's, they'll fit pretty well if you move things in the kicks; having to extend the bodies was the straw that broke my back. Too much work since I don't have much time and am often lacking motivation to do more work than I have to.

The wiring is behind the carpeted cover that sits in the kickpanel area, take it off and you'll see what I'm talking about. The footrest on the floor isn't bad to get out, the problem there is that the carpet is stiff there and doesn't want to sit down flat, I've just left it for now but may try to pin it down for a little more room. Also, there is thick foam padding behind the carpet below the kicks, I haven't decided whether to cut that out or leave it.

I'm kinda debating now, I've got a set of DD 5.0 mids and NT-1 tweeters; I could use them in the kicks w/ the passive crossover off one amp; and the 6.5's in door pods off another amp. The kicks could be alot smaller in this setup. The midbasses would be getting 150 each, and then 150 for each side mid/tweet combo. I took the door panel off and the whole carpeted pieces at the bottom of the doors look like it will just unscrew from the rest of the panel, I could remove it and build as much of that area as I needed for an enclosure, could probably fit ported for those 6.5's. But that's more sources of sound to aim and worry about imaging. I don't know, I might give the 5's and NT-1's a shot in a temporary setup and see how I like them, then make a final decision.