Sponsored by:

Good JL-Audio prices?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-02, 09:06 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good JL-Audio prices?

I decided to go with a 10" free-air JL number but haven't been able to find any great prices on the ol' net.

Any suggestions?

Thanx.

Ryan

And yes, a sealed box would sound better but I don't have the time to build one...enough of that in high school anyway. Looking for only a modest boost too.
Old 03-14-02, 10:25 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know, I just was on E-bay earlier and saw some pretty good prices on JL audio stuff. I was looking for 2 JL audio 10w7's.
Old 03-14-02, 11:28 PM
gs300
Driver

i suggest kicker L7 but im not sure if they are free air though but they dont need a huge box
Old 03-15-02, 01:38 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Kicker is square. It does not fit the stock sub hole. Kicker is louder but JL sounds better.
Old 03-15-02, 04:21 PM
BADGS400
Driver

get a 10W7 if money isnt a big problem for you, they are by far the most superior subwoofer on the market right now, they are some of the loudest and best sounding subs, ive got 2 12W7s trust me you wont be disapointed, i suggest not using freeair applications!!!!!output on free air is terrible!! you can seal one sub up and get twice the output from several freeair, not to mention the fact that if you do use freeair you have to deaden the ***** out of things, you can PM me if you would like to, i have a pretty good knowlege of car audio
Old 03-15-02, 08:33 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey everyone.. I'm new to the board, I have an LS400 and since I can't put a box in the back, I'm gonna put a new sub in the existing stock sub hole.. I believe its 10 inches, I wanted to go with a 10W7.. any advice?
Old 03-15-02, 09:19 PM
BADGS400
Driver

W7s is by far the #1 sub out there!!!! put it in!!! you will need to seal it up though, you might want to take it to a shop, dont let them BS you though, befor you make any descions come here. and your going to have to do some deadening/reinforcing, my 12s weigh 50lbs each, so im guessin the 10 weighs around 40 your rear deck is not going to hold that up, just make a smaller box to fit snuggly back there, or you could get custom and do a fiberglass/plexi job, look around at some of the installs on here and on sounddomain.com, the options are unlimited....and you will need a very nice amp that puts out good power to the strange 3ohm load, JL1000/1 will be REAL nice, or mabye i rockford if prices are a problem.

feel free to PM me with any questions
Old 03-15-02, 09:26 PM
BADGS400
Driver

BTW.... look at RETRODRIVES install(up above) you could do something similar, but with one sub, and a small sealed box with a 1/2 plexi window....MAN I LOVE CAR AUDIO
Old 03-16-02, 12:33 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be hard to build a box around it becuase the gas tank is right there.. any suggestions? I wanted to do the install myself... a not too complex project of mine.. where is the deadening most necessary? behind the rear seats? If I'm running a 10W7 I'll have to install a cap so the headlights dont dim and the car doesnt die.. what's the best to go with? Will a .5 farad cap. be enough of will i need 1 farad one? Thanks
Old 03-16-02, 01:42 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

IDMAX / W7 are about the same level right now. If you compare 12 to 12 then IDMAX gets a price advantage and quality (subjective). W7 is supposed to be louder though. It has not been put through DUMAX tests yet (can't wait). As far as my setup goes...it was hell to make it. Good luck though!

P.S. Is w7 IB rated?
Old 03-16-02, 02:11 PM
BADGS400
Driver

if you dont want to do alot of work then just but a ID MAX in a IB(freeair) set up, you wont need near as much power with it being free air, thats good and bad, your not going to get near the output of sealed, and not even close to half of what you would get ported, I dont think that JL recomends using the w7 in a IB set up at all, but i dotn think anyone has tried it, most people that buy seal or port them, and your rear deck (if your doing just a direct switch) is goign to need a TON of reinforcment!!! not so much for the MAX, but the W7 is heavy and has ALOT of displacment, so reinforce the rear deck with some 1in MDF and then use some dynamat extreme, or raammat, basically the same thing, i prefer the extreme put doesnt make so much of a difference,

bottom line though, if you want easy upgrade get an ID and run it IB, if you want the best SQ then seal up a W7 10

feel free to PM me with and private messages and be sure to look at RETRODRIVES install, its a good example to look off of
Old 03-16-02, 02:30 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Thx for the props on the install, but I do not necessary agree with you on IDMAX / W7 issue. But hey, it we all agreed it would be boring.

Most Lexus owners go for the quality rather then SPL in their rides. Output is not that important. Besides, it is pretty easy to build boxes around subs hanging from the bottom of your deck. If I ever feel that I don't get the output I want, I can do that. As far as sealed / best quality it is not necessarily true with all the subs. ID themselves use IDMAXes freeair in their demo car. That has to tell you something about the application of that sub.

On any given day I would choose IDMAX over JL since IMO the quality is better. That is based on about at least 6 W7 installs and infinite ammount of IDMAX installs, including my own.

This is all subjective though. No sub is a winner for sure. Can't go wtong with any of them.
Old 03-16-02, 02:41 PM
BADGS400
Driver

hey wich part of my statement dont you agree with?(J/W?), i dont take offense to anyone saying W7s are worse or better we are entitled opinions like you say, you prefer the Max i prefer the W7, nothing wrong with that. it is true that you get good SQ form sealed for the majority, not saying that IB is not the best for a ID MAX and SQ there, i just think that you can get really good ouput on a sub sealed without comprimising SQ. the negative effect of this is you need lots of power to get it to its Xmax, with IB lots less to reach its full excursion

i think for this persons needs he should get a W7 and seal it, its not hard to do, like you said. i think if he only gets 1 10ID MAX and uses the IB aplication then he might be a little disipointed on the ouput but he wont be upset with the SQ either way that is for sure!!! If you have some questions about an IB set up for a W7 you can contact Manville Smith, hes on carsound.com under the name Msmith(i think thats it) and ask him about this, but i really think they suggest not doing this, if you dont need lots of ouput just enough to soudn good put a ID 10 FREEAIR, either way your buying the best products out(maybe look into the new brahma sub(havent see or heard it, only heard good things about it so far)
Old 03-18-02, 11:44 PM
SWEETSOUND2001
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

New price. 12W7 brand new, $575 shipped within 48 continental states.

Anton
Old 03-19-02, 09:58 AM
BADGS400
Driver

hes looking for the 10W7 but thats not too bad of a price wouldnt pay it htough unless you were an authorized dealer

Quick Reply: Good JL-Audio prices?