stereo gurus, sub help...please

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-02, 06:35 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb stereo gurus, sub help...please

to all experts:

i would like to upgrade my 99 stock gs4's subs with a minimal budget, and have read thru numerous posts by all al stereo gurus.
but now, i am even more puzzled...

goal: improve SQ, minimal modification to the car.
budget: $100-200( like the vel and few other high-end, but has no budget for it.)
size: 10"/12"

amp: do i need another 1 ch amp? being looking at the zebweb's Soundstream Angina model at a decent price.

basically i want something easy to install, may be just a drop-in...any advice on parts, price, and where to get it is greatly appreciated.

thank you
william
Old 03-17-02, 12:56 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can not go wrong with ARC Audio / IDQ subs in freeair applications. Great SQ, low cost and they are fine for IB applications.

You need to feed around 250w to an IDQ so the best choice would be a sub amp like this:
http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/ZAPS100X

Overall would be highend setup for cheap. Also when you say you run ID and Zapco, people would give props for shure
Old 03-17-02, 09:34 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

hey retro,

thanks for the advice... the amp is on sale, and within my budget, could you also tell me where i can get the subs taht you recommended? i did not see either brand in sound domain?

also how are the prices at sounddomain?

really appreciate your info...
Old 03-17-02, 06:16 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Prices at Sounddomain are somewhat close to retail shops unless they have sale. The IDQ subs are under "Image Dynamics" brand.

For the Zapco amp bridged into 200wrms mono at 2 ohm you will need this sub:
http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/IDSIDQ10D4V2

Also look around on ebay. Those subs are way cheaper there. Good luck.
Old 03-17-02, 06:38 PM
BabaBooey
Driver

Sound Domain pricematches pretty much anything you send them, so go to a place with cheap ID prices such as caraudiocrazy or carmedia1, send SD an email with the link, and get the product for the cheap price and full warranty. If you look around, you can probably find that Zapco amp for cheaper than the sale price.
Old 03-17-02, 07:37 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up

retro+baba- once again, really apprecoate your input.... i was going to order the zapco amp...guess now i have more hw to do..searching for even lower prices on that amp(kind of worry that they might get sold out though:eek: at that price
Old 03-17-02, 10:21 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

guys,

i found two site adviced by baba on the subs for close to $110, will check with SD for price matching...

quick questions:

1.any other place that i might find Zapco amps?

2. heard good things about JL audio subs? what do you think+which one would suit me well based on above factors?

thank you
Old 03-18-02, 09:49 AM
qwalls
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gs4will,

Please post what subwoofer you end up with, and how it sounds. I'll probably be replacing the stock one in my LS as well. I have a Rockford Fosgate Punch 150 from a previous system that I'll probably use to drive it. I was considering the JL Audio infinite baffle subwoofer, but I haven't read much about them. Their other subwoofers seem to get rave reviews.

Quentin
Old 04-02-02, 11:02 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

hey retro/any expert,

for the IDQ10D4V2 that retro suggested, sound domain listed such model is NOT for free air application, can anyone help me out here please?

thanks

william
Old 04-02-02, 11:18 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

hey EPK,

thanks for the input...i like JL also( do not know which is the right one though for straight swap with stock sub)..and with so many chocies out there, this thing is down right a tough choice for me:eek:

since sound domain is price matching and approved already, i guess ~$100 for the IDQ sub is quite reasonable...just need to make sure that i get the CORRECT model for the easiest install....

can anyone advice , thanks
Old 04-03-02, 04:10 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by gs4will
hey EPK,

thanks for the input...i like JL also( do not know which is the right one though for straight swap with stock sub)..and with so many chocies out there, this thing is down right a tough choice for me:eek:

since sound domain is price matching and approved already, i guess ~$100 for the IDQ sub is quite reasonable...just need to make sure that i get the CORRECT model for the easiest install....

can anyone advice , thanks
Hi William,
The IB4 that LS400 GOD mentioned is JL's free air model (IB stands for Infinite Baffle), so it is designed for just what you are looking to do. Hope this helps.
Old 04-03-02, 06:00 AM
qwalls
Rookie

Default GS4WILL

From what I've read on Image Dynamic's website http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com the IDMAX is the one you'd want to use free air (infinite baffle). I don't think the 10" is available yet, but it's coming. I'm trying to decide between that, and the JL Audio IB4. I dont have a price on the IDMAX yet, but I'd guess it will be around $300. I have an old Rockford Fosgate Punch 150 from a previous system that I'm going to use to drive whatever I get. It's between the JL and the IDMAX, so there may not be a decision if I do it anytime soon. The only problem with the JL is that is doesn't handle much power. I had a JL Audio Stealthbox in my '97 Explorer that I sold last year, and it was awesome for a single 10" subwoofer.

Quentin
Old 04-03-02, 10:22 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

hey Guys,

thanks for all your help

Quentin,

so none of the regualr IDQ10s would work as a free air application?:eek:

as much as i would like to have an idmax, my budget is kind of limited....hmm this is tough
Old 04-03-02, 10:26 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

ID subs are universal. I don't know where you get your info from but they do work well freeair. I wouldn't wait on IDMAX...ID is not good with deadlines.
Old 04-03-02, 10:30 AM
jawnthen
Lead Lap

will,

retro posted this before in an older thread that the IDQ's worked in an infinite-baffle setup. I think he talked directly to one of the guys at Image. Do a search on free-air subs and you'll find it.

--jonathan

Quick Reply: stereo gurus, sub help...please