Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

What Are Some of The BEST Speakers for Voice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-09, 07:32 PM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default What Are Some of The BEST Speakers for Voice?

Guys,

I am looking to get my interior speakers replaced for the 2nd time around in less than a year now (currently have Kicker Component KS-Series 05KS65) but I am not that content with them as I am looking for something that would give me a lot moreeeee voice. I have two L7 in a seal box (very impressed w/ them) so I am looking for something that will match the baseline. I have heard very good things about Beymer speakers from Spain which is quite pricey (some places online have them for less than $200 pair). Some one also recommended a brand to me the other day call Celestion which i never heard or even had the time to look-up yet. I need a lottttt of mids
Old 04-30-09, 03:49 PM
Vestax
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have the plans for a 3 way, a 4" driver would be great for voice tonality in a car. Otherwise, you'd want a pretty good driver that would be a strong candidate for a fr response between 300hz to 3khz. A 2 way consisting of a 6.5" driver would probably need to have a better top end response than a bassy low end. Do you need a fixed component set with passives or do you have a processor for a custom raw driver system?
Old 05-01-09, 06:48 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

For all out ACCURACY to the mids, look no further than Dynaudio.

SECOND TO NONE when it comes to female voices, piano and other very tough to reproduce midrange.

The other brands that you mention are ok, but they will pale when compared to Dyns.
Old 05-04-09, 08:04 PM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

anyone else?? no one out there own a set of Beymer or high voice speakers?
Old 05-04-09, 08:24 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dyna audio is very nice but not everybody can afford those i would look into boston acoustics and focals. Focals are louder but the bostons are cleaner i have focals and if i did it over i would go with boston pros
Old 05-04-09, 09:14 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

It all depends on your budget. I've listen to speakers that are phenomenal, but the cost is out of reach for most people.
Old 05-05-09, 03:42 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally Posted by lowKut
anyone else?? no one out there own a set of Beymer or high voice speakers?
Originally Posted by lowKut
I have heard very good things about Beymer speakers from Spain which is quite pricey (some places online have them for less than $200 pair).
First off, it's Beyma, not Beymer. And yes, the information you've been given is good - but not at your budget. If you think $200 is expensive, it's time to hit a local Best Buy and audition what they can offer you for that price. A good shop will have components, but the better ones are above that range, typically.

And in all fairness, if you're expecting a single set of components to keep up with your bass, you should be auditioning them. Most component sets are designed for clarity, since those who seek them out want better sound, not just sheer volume.

Big Mack
Old 05-05-09, 04:50 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

don't know much about dynaudio but here's a result I got from google.
http://www.google.com/products?q=dynaudio+6.5&scoring=p

Are they much better than my Kappa Perfect 6.1 ? (front doors...huge)

And these in the rear doors
Old 05-05-09, 05:27 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by sam430
don't know much about dynaudio but here's a result I got from google.Are they much better than my Kappa Perfect 6.1 ? (front doors...huge)
Unless you have a hearing deficiency from listening to extremely loud music (AKA tone deaf), the Dyn's will play lower, have more impact, better sonics overall, and reproduce the music more faithfully than the Kappa P's. Of course, having a solid install is the key to using speakers of any kind, but I would hope that if you're willing to shell out the coin for Dyn's you're smart enough to know this.

Big Mack
Old 05-05-09, 08:12 PM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Originally Posted by Big Mack
First off, it's Beyma, not Beymer. And yes, the information you've been given is good - but not at your budget. If you think $200 is expensive, it's time to hit a local Best Buy and audition what they can offer you for that price. A good shop will have components, but the better ones are above that range, typically.

And in all fairness, if you're expecting a single set of components to keep up with your bass, you should be auditioning them. Most component sets are designed for clarity, since those who seek them out want better sound, not just sheer volume.

Big Mack
Hey Big Mack thank you for your clarification and contribution to my post. The whole point in me posting was to get some more info on this subject in question as I am very much unfamiliar with the brands or spec at the time of my post.

As for cost i seen these speakers selling on various discount car audio sites which I am not certain if its the real deal or not...

Thanks again & carry on bud

One.

Last edited by lowKut; 05-05-09 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-05-09, 08:38 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Kicker, Infinity, JL, MB Quart, Focal, they're all good brands for the masses. When you're serious about sound quality and accuracy, that's when you get the dyns.

I've tried many brands. My goal is accuracy. This goes for the electronics (modded out), wiring (300/pair is considered average) and speakers(Dynaudio and Velodyne). Many of the other brands fell well short of that goal. Dynaudio did not. For vocals, Dynaudio is the closest there is. I'm still using a Velodyne subwoofer, one that is extinct and no longer available. It's the only subwoofer in the world that can claim less than 1 percent distortion throughout it's operating band...and the bass is extraordinarily low and accurate.

Now if you're after "ground pounding", then by all means, go for the JL, Kicker, Cerwin Vega, RF, etc. It takes much less effort, imo, to make a ground pounder than a system with accuracy.

And the Dyns are WORLDS different than the mass market speakers and most of the audio shops.

Give em a fair audition in the car. You won't go back to anything else.
Old 05-05-09, 10:23 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes its all about how much you want to spend the bostons run about 400-500 i live in la so get to go and wheel and deal in the electronics district but everyone seems to be giving you right on info you can get pretty good deals on componets on ebay at least go there first so you know what price of the brands you are interested in so a shop doesn't rip you off mark up on car audio is ridiculous
Old 05-05-09, 11:05 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

will these do? I'm into nice clean sound than thumping violently...so far, I haven't been able to get it.

The door space on the 2GS is kinda large. I've damplify the rear subwoofer sections and the doors. Still not good enough.

I wanna hear this magical speakers sing a note or two.

What I hate most is the tweeters... I spent 100 bux on a pair of tweeters don't like'm...it gets too loud at some point...ear piercing loud. I guess I fail at audio.

Last edited by sam430; 05-05-09 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-05-09, 11:57 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

here's a 3" midrange for around 200 bux each to help with the voice. If I can find the right crossover for these, I'd probably mount them on the center where the the ML nav center speakers are located.

I do have 4 passive crossover that I did not put in since my amp acts as a crossover. Tell me if I don't know any better. TIA.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p1571/MD14...e-Midrange.htm

http://www.woofersetc.com/p5550/MD-1...e-Midrange.htm

I haven't checked ebay yet. This looks like what I need for voice...thanks everyone and OP for bringing this subject. I think it's worth 200 bux to hear the voice dynamics.

Last edited by sam430; 05-06-09 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-06-09, 09:29 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I wouldn't mount the 3" midrange in the OEM center location. Midrange frequencies are more directional and having a speaker off axis like that, you may not be bringing out the most of the Dyns.

Not all amp's xover accuracy are the same. It's worse that using the dials isn't going to give you exactly what you need. Unless your amp has some sort of bandpassing filter, you're most likely going to need another passive crossover on top of the amp's xover to get a bandpassing filter. Not all passives will work with every speaker.

Where are you mounting your tweeters? I've seen speakers that play beautifully on-axis, but their frequency response starts to get nasty even at a 30 degree off axis. Then again, I've seen the exact opposite. We cannot expect the tweeters to perform as if they're in an open evironment. I usually use my EQ to tune out the little spikes here and there. When I first threw in my tweeters, they were somewhat dull and slightly peaky. After extensive tuning, they now shine while still sound smooth.

There is a lot of work to do if you want that 'magical' sound. Buying the equipment is just 1/3 of it. The rest is all about installation and final tuning.

Quick Reply: What Are Some of The BEST Speakers for Voice?