Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

XM Satellite Radio / Lexus Interface is coming Q2 to allow CD quality sound!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-02, 04:54 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up XM Satellite Radio / Lexus Interface is coming Q2 to allow CD quality sound!

I want to get XM or Sirius satellite programming in my SC400, but I can't imagine losing my Nakamichi head unit. The only present option is to get one of those RF/FM-Modulated adapters that feed the signal through the existing FM tuner (see http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...9,2328,00.html
for an example). But if you visit www.ClubXM.com (catchy name, eh?), the consensus is that RF adapter setups makes the XM audio sound no better than your existing FM radio- so much for "CD- quality" programming!

So I sure am looking forward to BlitzSafe's interface that will allow a satellite receiver to tap in between the existing head unit and the CD changer. This would allow XM with CD quality sound, yet control the XM tuner through the existing head unit. The CD controls could be used to control the XM/Sirius tuner. For example, the "track number" displayed will actually be the station number! This will probably require some sort of switch, that switches the CD controls between the CD unit and the satellite unit, or maybe the "Random" button on the CD player (hardly ever used) could be the signal to switch over to the satellite tuner. The head unit wouldn't display what song is playing, but I could live with that.

I emailed blitzsafe on this subject and here is their reply:
======================================
Subj: RE: Interface to allow factory head units to control satellite radio tuner

We are making interfaces for XM now that do as you suggest. Lexus will be available in the 2nd Quarter 02.
======================================

All I have to say is: "Is it April yet?"
Old 03-21-02, 07:26 PM
ezlyf
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn!!!!! keep me posted on that upgrade perry... I'm definatle interested in that set up also.
Old 03-21-02, 08:08 PM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if they will also be providing a simple bypass to allow ANY type of AUX in or if its possible to purchase an XM unit that has an AUX in. Man, that would make my dreams come true!
Old 03-21-02, 09:40 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Hohlraum - no sure what you are getting at (an MP3 player, perhaps?), but if you want to feed a different signal via the CD inputs, that might already be possible- just make a donation to:
http://www.mycrobyte.com/lexus/lexusstereo.html
and Peter will provide the details on the Nakamichi or Pioneer wiring for the CD player and amps. Peter had a SC300 that he reversed engineered, and he documented what he found out!

Again, not sure what you are after, but maybe his hack info will help you.
Old 03-22-02, 10:24 AM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

Yeah.. MP3 player, Car Computer (audio portion) that kinda stuff. Btw, I sent blitz an email and asked them if they were working on anything that would allow AUX in through my Lexus cd changer and I got a one word response. "yes" ... heh A little more detail would have been nice but oh well

So you think I could hack the existing harness to simply switch between AUX and my CD Changers audio? I'll check out that site although I'm interested in support for the 02 GS Nav/ML system.
Old 03-22-02, 11:00 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Yeah, Blitzsafe is not very talkative at this point, nor is their web page very informative. Let's hope that changes as they near the release of the interface.

Peter's SC300 info probably wont help you much- I didn't know what sort of Lexus you had when I suggested that- your GS/NAV/ML is probably much different in its wiring.

Of course, anything is doable: "all it takes is money" !

UPDATE: 4/2/02: Another company, Soundgate, announced in this month's issue of Mobile Electronics their SDS1 interface, that allows one or more inputs to be tapped between the CD output and the head unit.

I wrote to them and below is their response. I hope their engineering is better than their typing:

Subj: Product Inquiry: SDS1 Interface for Lexus head units

That will be avalible i don't have a release date on the lexus cable yet
===============================
To: sgsales@soundgate.com, sgtech@soundgate.com
Subject: Product Inquiry: SDS1 Interface for Lexus head units

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 04-02-02 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-02-02, 08:32 PM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

bump
Old 07-25-03, 11:20 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Did anyone come up with any solutions?? I'm thinking about trying this on my 98 GS4, and looking for ideas.
Old 07-25-03, 02:45 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

This guy made an AWESOME adaptor for VWs and Audis, maybe he can help you guys out with what you need. Check out his site. He even designed a custom MP3 computer that is controllable buy the headunit as well. I bet a lexus application would be quite similar, but you guys know more than me.

http://www.k9spud.com/vwcdpic/