Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

SC300 Head Unit Wiring for Dummies?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-09, 11:17 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Lightbulb SC300 Head Unit Wiring + OEM Sub Working - for Dummies!! (NO REALLY!)

EDIT: How-To complete, everything working including OEM sub!

Here's the write-up:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...b-working.html

MODS: it might be better to delete this thread or close it =)

Last edited by raine; 06-21-09 at 05:24 AM. Reason: MODS please delete or close this thread, thanks!
Old 05-20-09, 06:58 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should have asked 3 days ago, i just installed my metra dash kit so i had a good look at the wires. I used that same diagram on intellexual.net. I'll match up what i remember to what that site says.

12v+ red was gray A4
ACC yellow was blue with yellow stripe A3
Ground black was brown A11
Radio blue needs to be connected to 2 wires. Both are pink. (with stripes?) There are only 2 pink wires so you will easily find them.
Ill+ orange is A2, i think it was still orange in the car.

Last edited by Ryeno; 05-20-09 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-20-09, 08:17 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ryeno
You should have asked 3 days ago, i just installed my metra dash kit so i had a good look at the wires. I used that same diagram on intellexual.net. I'll match up what i remember to what that site says.

12v+ red was gray A4
ACC yellow was blue with yellow stripe A3
Ground black was brown A11
Radio blue needs to be connected to 2 wires. Both are pink. (with stripes?) There are only 2 pink wires so you will easily find them.
Ill+ orange is A2, i think it was still orange in the car.
I've got 12v
I've got ACC
Ive got ground

I'm working on speakers (I'll be bypassing the factory amp, I've got that figured out already) so the only wires I have left from the aftermarket head unit are:

1. Dimmer (you said A2, will do)
2. "Motor Antenna Control Wire" ???
-(from the manual) "depending on what antenna you are using, connect either to the control terminal of thmotor antenna, or to the power terminal for the booster amplifier of the film-type antenna."

...The only antenna plug I can use is the larger one, I'm guessing the smaller factory antenna plug is for the rear window antenna?

Finally...What's Radio blue?

Thanks for the help so far, I'm actually in the garage installing stuff as I type this
Old 05-20-09, 09:31 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Raine, can you post info on your final install? Several of us SC300 guys down here in Texas will be putting some aftermarket head units (double din) using exsiting OEM speakers and we will need some info/pointers. Do you know the metro kit number for double din units? thks
Old 05-20-09, 09:45 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dwebb99
Raine, can you post info on your final install? Several of us SC300 guys down here in Texas will be putting some aftermarket head units (double din) using exsiting OEM speakers and we will need some info/pointers. Do you know the metro kit number for double din units? thks

I'll update the first post with the exact connections I did once I finish... right now I'm getting the interior in (daily driver). The only issues I need to sort out are the antenna not going up and the stock sub. I followed this suggestion regarding the sub (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...market-hu.html) but it doesn't seem to be working.

work in progress, I'll keep updating the thread.
Old 05-21-09, 07:41 AM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

O.K. good luck, any good info you can provide will be of great help to many of us considering this upgrade. What unit are you putting in?
Old 05-21-09, 09:46 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dwebb99
O.K. good luck, any good info you can provide will be of great help to many of us considering this upgrade. What unit are you putting in?
Kenwood DDX-714... I'm pretty busy right now at the office (deadlines!) but I'll try to get the wiring part posted by the afternoon. Still trying to figure out the factory sub part, and the antenna.
Old 05-21-09, 02:23 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Dimmer is ill+(illumination) should be A2
Motor antenna control is the radio wire which should be blue on your aftermarket hu. You need that 1 wire to both(2) pink wires in the one of the harness's. And yes you only use the larger antenna plug.

Last edited by Ryeno; 05-21-09 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-21-09, 03:10 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Dimmer is ill+(illumination) should be A2
Motor antenna control is the radio wire which should be blue on your aftermarket hu. You need that 1 wire to both(2) pink wires in the one of the harness's. And yes you only use the larger antenna plug.
I connected the dimmer wire to A2, doesn't seem to do anything when I turn the dimmer **** (I doublechecked the head unit dimmer options to make sure it's on).

Anything more concrete than "the two pink wires"? I found matching pins more reliable than wire color, as some of the wires I spliced were not the same color that was specified in those other threads (maybe model year change or something).

The big thing is getting the damn factory sub amp/woofer working (so that it would be a true "head unit upgrade only" job).
Old 05-24-09, 12:43 AM
Ryeno
Banned

Were in california are you? I might be able to help you. Also what year is your car? My car is a 92 so the colors i listed are for it. I know my dimmer works in my car.

As for getting the factory amp to work, well you got 2 options. You can try runing the wires through the wiring harness which might be confusing. Or add the wires directly to the amp. But doing that would be a PAIN in the ***. You'll have to remove the rear seat (both parts), remove the side panels which requires you to remove the seatbelts. Then remove the rear deck. Then after all that you would wire your own 12v+, rem+, and use a line output convertor to get your rcas hooked up.

I personally didnt want to do all that work so i use gutted the rear deck and went aftermarket.
Old 05-25-09, 12:53 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Were in california are you? I might be able to help you. Also what year is your car? My car is a 92 so the colors i listed are for it. I know my dimmer works in my car.

As for getting the factory amp to work, well you got 2 options. You can try runing the wires through the wiring harness which might be confusing. Or add the wires directly to the amp. But doing that would be a PAIN in the ***. You'll have to remove the rear seat (both parts), remove the side panels which requires you to remove the seatbelts. Then remove the rear deck. Then after all that you would wire your own 12v+, rem+, and use a line output convertor to get your rcas hooked up.

I personally didnt want to do all that work so i use gutted the rear deck and went aftermarket.

WAIT - something you said made me think... in one of the threads listed above regarding the factory sub, they mentioned nothing about running 12v+/rem+ to the factory sub amp. They're not getting 12v+/rem+ from the fuse box?
Old 05-25-09, 02:12 PM
Ryeno
Banned

I'm not sure about the 12v+ but the rem+ for sure comes from the HU Because if you turn off the HU, the sub turns off too. So you could either splice the wires into the harness underneath the climate control or go straight to the rear deck and do it there.
Old 05-25-09, 03:03 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not sure about the 12v+ but the rem+ for sure comes from the HU Because if you turn off the HU, the sub turns off too. So you could either splice the wires into the harness underneath the climate control or go straight to the rear deck and do it there.
Don't know how I missed that...will try that later today when its cooler outside =)
Old 05-25-09, 06:15 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

For some reason I can't get the factory sub working.... I am trying to use an RCA-to-Speaker Wire output connected to the sub-out preamp of my head unit. I ran the speaker wire to the sub amp but it doesn't seem to be working? =(
Old 05-26-09, 11:19 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Go here
http://www.intellexual.net/faq/lexusstereo.swf
and click
pioneer sub amp.

Splice in your own 12v+ and 12v ACC along with your sub+/- from the rca to speaker wire.

Quick Reply: SC300 Head Unit Wiring for Dummies?