Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

False Alarm is pissing me off!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-09 | 03:53 PM
PHXF
Driver

Exclamation False Alarm is pissing me off!!!

Hey guys,

I’m having a problem with my Viper 5901 in my 08 IS-F: After exiting the car and arming the alarm, approximately 30 seconds passes and then the alarm triggers. On the pager, it indicates the trunk sensor has tripped, although obviously the trunk hasn’t opened. It is demonstrable and repeatable – it happens 100% of the time. It doesn’t matter if you arm immediately or wait, or whether you lock the car manually and then arm the alarm.
It appears to trigger immediately after the lights around the license plate turn off; not sure if that has anything to do with it. However, arming after the light go off does not solve the problem.

I’ve had the car into the install shop once already and they claimed to have fixed the problem but they haven’t…don’t want to take it back in again until I have some understanding of what might be wrong.

Thanks!!!
Old 06-04-09 | 06:59 PM
crazee201
Pole Position

Best bet is to bring it back because of the warranty that they have to honor. It could be bad wiring.
Old 06-04-09 | 10:19 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Who did the install? I'm in AZ, so I'm familiar with some of the shops here.

Either way - if it's repeatable and happens 100% of the time, and it's the same exact trip, one of three things is happening. The wiring from the pin switch to the alarm has a short, the switch is not sitting down far enough to break the connection, or the brain is defective and reading something that isn't there. The latter is unlikely. I would recommend having them check for a stray wire in the pin switch. Because it's a normally closed switch, if it's not getting full contact and staying down (closed), it will allow it to pop back up and trigger the alarm. This is fairly easy to chase down, so I'm surprised you've had to take it in and the problem is still there. I hope it's just a lazy tech and not a bad shop.

Big Mack
Old 06-10-09 | 07:09 AM
w8lifter21
Rookie

^If that were the case, he would get a 2nd chirp after locking the doors as the alarm is still detecting a circuit being open. Like the trunk is still open or a door is not closed all the way.

It sounds like they are using a factory wire for your trunk trigger. They could have even ran it straight to a light in the trunk. At any rate, some circuits after a set amount of time become "inactive" and rest at ground (-). Example being your power window circuit. In my G35, after I take the key out of the ignition, I can still close my windows and my sunroof as long as I don't open the door or hit the lock button. After doing so, the time delay relay cuts off and the circuit rests at ground, which in your case, would trigger the alarm. (Trunk pin wire on DEI alarms are negative trigger) Am I saying that your trunk circuit is tied into the power window circuit, no, but for some reason, whatever circuit that you trunk pin/light is on, it goes to ground after 30 sec.