Sponsored by:

Amp Getting Hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-09, 04:25 PM
LexusK
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Amp Getting Hot

I have a 2GS and I just recently installed my system. Only problem is that the amp seems to be getting really hot. It is screwed onto the back of my sub box and the sub is kept in the raised section. My friend says that if it gets too hot then the amp might blow out. Should I move the amp some where else? Id like to move it on top of the box, but my factory sub is still there and Id rather just leave it there. Where are you guys putting your amps?
Old 06-11-09, 04:49 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of amp is it? Amps do produce a fair amount of heat, but if its to hot to touch then yes I would move it.
Old 06-11-09, 05:43 PM
LexusK
Racer

It is a JL audio 500/1. Im not sure if theres enough room to just place it on the floor next to it.
Old 06-11-09, 11:11 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by LexusK
It is a JL audio 500/1. Im not sure if theres enough room to just place it on the floor next to it.
How is it mounted on the box? If it's got the black fins on one long side, they need to be mounted up for maximum heat dissipation. If it's mounted with them down, that would cause all the heat to be radiated into the casing.

What subs are you running? If they are wired incorrectly, you may be causing it to overheat. Also, if your power cable is not of sufficient size, could be the same problem. Let us know.

Big Mack
Old 06-13-09, 10:17 AM
LexusK
Racer

Its mounted on the back of my sub box with the fins facing upward. I am running a 12 inch JL W6 with 4 gauge wires.
Old 06-13-09, 01:50 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Question

Its mounted on the back of my sub box with the fins facing upward. I am running a 12 inch JL W6 with 4 gauge wires.
Have you upgraded the ground under the hood to a larger size as well? If not, then that's my first suggestion. The rest should be fine. If that has been done, the amp is likely defective and needs to be repaired.

Big Mack
Old 06-13-09, 04:08 PM
scooter58
Lexus Test Driver

the amp should be warm..

if it's too hot too touch than that's no good.

did u wire up the subs backwards?
wat's the ohm load on the subs?
Old 06-13-09, 07:48 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally Posted by scooter58
the amp should be warm..

if it's too hot too touch than that's no good.

did u wire up the subs backwards?
wat's the ohm load on the subs?
Single sub, and wiring it up backwards would have nothing to do with it getting hot. If it's a 12W6, it's either dual 4 or dual 6 (old school). Either way, it shouldn't be running an ohm load too low for the amp.

Big Mack
Old 06-15-09, 07:40 PM
LexusK
Racer

I asked a professional installer to look at it and he said that it was fine. Its supposed to get warm like scooter58 said. I just thought that it was hot. I touched my friends amp and its just as warm/hot as mine, so I think everythings ok. Thanks for your input guys!
Old 06-23-09, 05:46 PM
LexusK
Racer

OK NEW PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive been leaving the sub out towards the front instead of the small compartment in the back. I just moved it to the back last night and today while I was driving, I noticed a really weird smell. Its like something was burning, but not that distinct burning smell. I really cant describe it, but I stopped and pulled the sub out towards the front and it stopped smelling as bad. I think the amp was burning the carpet on the back of my rear seats or something.

WHATS GOING ON??!
Old 06-23-09, 07:47 PM
JustInGS3
Lead Lap

OK NEW PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive been leaving the sub out towards the front instead of the small compartment in the back. I just moved it to the back last night and today while I was driving, I noticed a really weird smell. Its like something was burning, but not that distinct burning smell. I really cant describe it, but I stopped and pulled the sub out towards the front and it stopped smelling as bad. I think the amp was burning the carpet on the back of my rear seats or something.

WHATS GOING ON??!
same thing was happening to me but i dont think its the carpet..because my subs are right underneath the stock sub..try to check your fuses. that was the cause for mine.