Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Anyone mounted a replacement sub and amp under rear deck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-09, 07:21 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anyone mounted a replacement sub and amp under rear deck?

I have a 2GS, but it would apply to any car setup this way...

I pulled the OEM 10" Nakamichi sub and made an adapter ring out of MDF to fit a 10" Infinity Perfect sub there. I was going to bolt the amp and line output converter underneath as well...any issues with this? I have 1" insulator pads to mount the amp through for vibration reduction.

The goal is a stealth, OEM look and retained trunk space.
Old 07-05-09, 07:02 PM
MrMarkus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how did this work out for you? did sub still hit? I was planning on putting JL W6 with a similar set up.
Old 07-08-09, 08:35 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

I'm finishing up this project over the next day or so...I'll make a new thread with pics. I haven't made final connections in the car, and I don't listen to trunk-rattling bass, so I'm not sure how much help I'll be. I will crank it a bit though and let you know.
Old 07-09-09, 10:34 PM
lev00221
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hello Frankdorn,
The Infinity Perfect should work fine in an infinite baffle setup like the rear deck. The only issue that you may have is with the amplifier. Most amplifiers, unless they are digital, are not designed to be mounted upside down because the cooling fins or heatsink is on the top. You may have problems with your amplifier overheating and going into thermal protection mode. If it does overheat in the upside down position you can side mount it and i should work fine. Just FYI..
Good luck!
Old 07-11-09, 12:23 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by lev00221
Hello Frankdorn,
The Infinity Perfect should work fine in an infinite baffle setup like the rear deck. The only issue that you may have is with the amplifier. Most amplifiers, unless they are digital, are not designed to be mounted upside down because the cooling fins or heatsink is on the top. You may have problems with your amplifier overheating and going into thermal protection mode. If it does overheat in the upside down position you can side mount it and i should work fine. Just FYI..
Good luck!
There is no such thing as a "digital" amplifier. This misnomer was invented with the class D's that were devised, but they are not digital. They still have heatsinks and cooling fins and require air to move over them to cool the amp, so even a class D needs to have space. That being said, mounting it upside down next to a moving subwoofer that will be moving air near it may help in cooling. If you find the amp overheating, I would suggest a small 12V fan. You shouldn't hear it, with it being that far back (and in the trunk), and they're relatively easy to install. If you do - make 100% sure that you use a relay to power it. The remote turn on will NOT support a fan on it's own.

Big Mack
Old 07-12-09, 12:03 PM
lev00221
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Digital amplifier

Originally Posted by Big Mack
There is no such thing as a "digital" amplifier. This misnomer was invented with the class D's that were devised, but they are not digital. They still have heatsinks and cooling fins and require air to move over them to cool the amp, so even a class D needs to have space. That being said, mounting it upside down next to a moving subwoofer that will be moving air near it may help in cooling. If you find the amp overheating, I would suggest a small 12V fan. You shouldn't hear it, with it being that far back (and in the trunk), and they're relatively easy to install. If you do - make 100% sure that you use a relay to power it. The remote turn on will NOT support a fan on it's own.

Big Mack
Big Mack is right. There technically is no such thing as a fully digital amplifier and they do require some sort of mechanism for heat dissipation. I figured that you probably did not want a lesson on the different types of amplifiers. Anyway, he is absolutely right. Even a class D amplifier will require some space. I was actually thinking of some of the new amplifiers available from Alpine and JL Audio that can actually be stacked on top of one another. These obviously require less space for heat dissipation. You should check with the respective manufacturers to establish if they can be installed upside down.

Also, the 12V fan is a good idea but be very careful where you wire it as it can introduce noise into your system. Noise would be something like alternator whine or popping/clicking type electrical noise from components (audio or not) in your car.
Old 07-23-09, 08:34 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

I got everthing all installed a few days ago. Man, I was just looking for better bottom end--its unbeliveably loud. I have the "freq" and "EQ" ***** turned all the way down, and the gain almost off on the amp. Then I have a remote bass control I wired in up front that's about 1/3 way turned up. Still SLAMS when a rap/hip-hop song comes on. Some radio stations the bass slams, others barely at all.

Anyway, I'll take a few pics and post in the 2GS forum. It turned out pretty decent, and I haven't had any overheating issues. I have a 6+ hour drive next week, so I guess I'd find out then.