Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:
Old 12-15-14, 01:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

HOW-TO: SC300/SC400 Install Aftermarket Head Unit, OEM Speakers and Sub Working!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-09, 09:42 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 98$c300
ok this is a nice write up.but how about if you dont want to bypass the factory amp for the speakers in the car?i pick up the plug with the RCA wires in it.to do mine.
Then you have three choices:

1. Have no sound except for the subwoofer
2. Run seperate amps for the main speakers (which is not what this thread is about)
3. Run speaker wire from the head unit to all four main locations (both doors and rear deck)

The point of this how-to was to install an aftermarket head unit to work with factory speakers =)
Old 11-15-09, 02:51 PM
89MA70
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if i get the Metra 70-8112 wiring harness would i will need to do the first part of the this?? (wiring up the RCA-to-speaker wire) Raine which aftermarket wiring harness did you use?? Metra 71-8112, 70-8112 or Crutchfield?
Old 11-15-09, 03:15 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 89MA70
So if i get the Metra 70-8112 wiring harness would i will need to do the first part of the this?? (wiring up the RCA-to-speaker wire) Raine which aftermarket wiring harness did you use?? Metra 71-8112, 70-8112 or Crutchfield?
read post #1 again dude - I did not use ANY aftermarket wiring harness because the plugs on the aftermarket harness aren't exactly the same plugs you would mod during the install.
Old 11-15-09, 03:22 PM
89MA70
Pole Position

Nvm I figured it out. Good write up!!

Last edited by 89MA70; 11-18-09 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-09-09, 11:08 AM
cc139106
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, I have a 1993 Sc400 with the Naka system. I have the factory unit pulled and I know it is different than the Pioneer system, but I saw that Kponti had done the naka system. I am having trouble figuring out which wires are which. i found what i thought was the correct wiring diag online but it doesnt seen to be right. I tried going with the same wire colors (ie Blue with yellow stripe for power) but I am getting nothing. I also noticed that there is a separate harness that goes from the radio to a plastic piece under the radio. It looks like just an extender to me, but I tried to bypass that whole thing and I havent had any luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Again
Old 12-09-09, 11:14 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cc139106
Hey guys, I have a 1993 Sc400 with the Naka system. I have the factory unit pulled and I know it is different than the Pioneer system, but I saw that Kponti had done the naka system. I am having trouble figuring out which wires are which. i found what i thought was the correct wiring diag online but it doesnt seen to be right. I tried going with the same wire colors (ie Blue with yellow stripe for power) but I am getting nothing. I also noticed that there is a separate harness that goes from the radio to a plastic piece under the radio. It looks like just an extender to me, but I tried to bypass that whole thing and I havent had any luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Again
Might wanna try PMing Kponti, since this thread was for the Pioneer setup only
Old 12-24-09, 05:28 PM
Akito san
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default G4 wire color??

what color is wire G4 when jumping the wire g6(purpleish) on the back of speakers??

thank you!!
Old 12-25-09, 03:36 PM
Akito san
Pole Position

nevermind okay got it the cable to jump the wire by the rear speakers its grey on G4 location on the socket side to g6 purple on plug side.

my car doesnt have the amp since first owner took off all the sound system setup so im running just the speakers (no sub yet) which sounds Good im glad it works. i just have to get a Amp now.

great write up it helped me very much thank you!!!!!!

Last edited by Akito san; 12-25-09 at 03:41 PM. Reason: added info
Old 12-29-09, 01:55 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Akito san
nevermind okay got it the cable to jump the wire by the rear speakers its grey on G4 location on the socket side to g6 purple on plug side.

my car doesnt have the amp since first owner took off all the sound system setup so im running just the speakers (no sub yet) which sounds Good im glad it works. i just have to get a Amp now.

great write up it helped me very much thank you!!!!!!
Glad to see you got it sorted out... you can get some pretty good bass with the factory amp and an Epicenter, or just go all out and upgrade the sub/sub amp from here =)
Old 12-30-09, 06:35 PM
Akito san
Pole Position

thank you so much guys happy holidays n new year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-04-10, 03:37 PM
My1998LS40
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After reading through all the posts, I think just use a 5 channel amp or two amps (your choice) with the head unit and get the best sound out of it. Run the RCA cable with the remote turn on wire back to the trunk. Then run the wires to the sub directly and wires to the speakers behind the factory amp. Up front, find your battery power, ACC wires for your red and yellow wires from the head unit. Ground the black wire to the frame using one of the mounting screw. Hook the RCA cable up and the remote wire for the amp, and the antena remote wire to the antena wire on the head unit. Plug the antena cable in and you're done.
For real, if you do all that work to get better sound and all, why do half the job? The extra money spent on the amp(s) will be worth it.
And while you at it, if you use a DVD/monitor head unit, ranging between $150-2000, depending on what you find, you can hook up back up camera, PS3, etc. to it. Head units with Navigation, bluetooth, ipod integration are now pretty cheap and can be found over ebay, amazone, craigslist, and such. With some patient and times, you can get a whole audio/video system going for less than $500. Just my 02 cents

Last edited by My1998LS40; 01-04-10 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-04-10, 04:11 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by My1998LS40
After reading through all the posts, I think just use a 5 channel amp or two amps (your choice) with the head unit and get the best sound out of it. Run the RCA cable with the remote turn on wire back to the trunk. Then run the wires to the sub directly and wires to the speakers behind the factory amp. Up front, find your battery power, ACC wires for your red and yellow wires from the head unit. Ground the black wire to the frame using one of the mounting screw. Hook the RCA cable up and the remote wire for the amp, and the antena remote wire to the antena wire on the head unit. Plug the antena cable in and you're done.
For real, if you do all that work to get better sound and all, why do half the job? The extra money spent on the amp(s) will be worth it.
And while you at it, if you use a DVD/monitor head unit, ranging between $150-2000, depending on what you find, you can hook up back up camera, PS3, etc. to it. Head units with Navigation, bluetooth, ipod integration are now pretty cheap and can be found over ebay, amazone, craigslist, and such. With some patient and times, you can get a whole audio/video system going for less than $500. Just my 02 cents
Guessing you missed the part in the first post about:

Originally Posted by raine

IS THIS THREAD FOR YOU?

For reference, this thread is for SC300/SC400 owners who wish to:

1. Replace their factory head unit with an aftermarket one.
2. DO use your factory speakers.
3. DO use your factory subwoofer.
4. Do NOT want to install a separate amp for the main speakers.
5. Do NOT install a separate amp for the subwoofer.
Some people just want to update the old 90's tape player OEM head unit to something that plays current media - like me - and this method only costs about $21 and some labor. Replacing speakers and adding amps is easy - pretty general to any car really - but in our case the main problem was swapping just the head unit by itself - thanks to the lack of plug-n-play options and the way the OEM audio system is configured (with the external amps)
Old 01-05-10, 12:11 AM
89MA70
Pole Position

My sub didn't work and I did everything exactly the same. Even ground the head unit to the same spot..lol. But all speakers work. I think my sub and/or amp is messed up but it's ok, doesn't bother me
Old 01-07-10, 09:09 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Raine, first off i can't imagine how long it took to make this thread. thanks very much.
i'm in the same situation as you, i just installed my aftermarket head unit, but the stock nak sub is un-responsive. here was a suggestion from crutchfield, but if its total bogus don't get mad or anything cause i'll admit i really need to know more about electronics and such. but, there are 4 clips to plug into the back of the stock HU...now, crutch says that in one of those harnesses, farthest to the passenger side, there will be 1 blck/ 1white wire. those will power the sub and what not. so supposing we splice those to the harness my aftermarket HU came with, is it possible that would work?

at this point if that has zero chance of working then i'm probably going to grab a new amp and have it installed somewhere just to avoid the hassle and uncomfort it would bring me lol

once again thanks a lot for this thread bro i followed it as much as i could/knew how to
Old 01-07-10, 09:22 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmm... I suppose that if you have the signal portion going from your new head unit to the sub amp, and Crutchfield is right about the Nak wiring (I honestly don't know anything about it lol) then giving power/ground to those two wires should give your sub sound.

Quick Reply: HOW-TO: SC300/SC400 Install Aftermarket Head Unit, OEM Speakers and Sub Working!