Sponsored by:

Online Dynaudio dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-02, 06:03 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RON430
[B]Hey Percy, one more thing. I have a couple industrial duty double sided tapes for mounting the tweeter. Still not that crazy about it but looking at THE BOOK it really doesn't look like there is much alternative. I can't quite tell from the pictures about the mounting. Is there room to do any "angling" or are you stuck with pretty much a "flat on" installation of the tweeter? If you angle, are there any words of wisdom for positioning?

***You can use a large piece of foam double sided tape as a "base" and then a smaller one for a fulcrum or angle. Just be very careful with those tinsel leads! How thick is the tape you're using?

I won't try to ask anything dumb that is covered in THE BOOK. In case it hasn't been mentioned recently, if you are going to mod the stereo in a GS make your first purchase THE BOOK. I just don't like re-inventing the wheel if there is solid information available. It can be too expensive buying the parts you screw up and take toooooo long for the install. Just trying to spend an enjoyable few hours with my car and improve it to boot. As I am going for a stealth installation I don't need the skill set required for Mean Gene's setup although I do enjoy reading about it and seeing how he did it (wonder how many generations on his system have happened since THE BOOK was done?).

***He's had two generations. The one in THE BOOK (I like how you say it) is the current generation.

Percy
Old 04-03-02, 07:35 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have studied THE BOOK and I must say, the tinsel leads are one of the things I am leary of. The dyns should be here tomorrow so probably Friday night I will do the prep on the tweeters and see just how fragile they ( I use the Darren McGavin pronunciation from Christmas Story - fra jill eee). I hope it will become clearer once I have the speaker in my sweaty hands, shouldn't be any more fragile than a wire bond. I am not quite clear on your wording in THE BOOK but does a bit of electrical tape or silicon goo seem appropriate on the tinsel leads? I have both 1/8 and 1/16 thick double sided foam although the only black I have is 1/8 thick. I don't mind using the white behind the tweeter but I figure you might be able to see it if I get it on the side so I will use only the black 1/8 on the sides and any other visible areas. Without trying to sound too stupid, try to angle the tweets to aim at your noggin as much as possible? Just don't know how much room there is in the recess to do much pointing and keep the tweet dome away from the grill. Still, sounds like fun.
Old 04-03-02, 08:18 PM
Percy

Ron,

You really won't need e-tape or silicon goo on the tinsel leads. As long as it doesn't touch each other or the metal, you're fine.

As for the tape, you won't be able to see it due to the small grile cutout on the stock piece. Covers it nicely. Try the thin stuff first and then work from there.

Percy
Old 04-04-02, 11:55 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For anyone interested, the dyns showed up today. Ordered late on the 1st through paypal and carstereotime got them here on the 4th. All in all, a thumbs up. Very good price and free shipping although I did pay Cal sales tax.
Old 04-04-02, 06:42 PM
Percy

Ron,

GREAT! Keep us updated on your work in progress.

Percy