Sponsored by:

no one likes Focal here??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-02, 05:10 PM
blitz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question no one likes Focal here??

HELLO, no one likes Focal here? i think it's the best out of all components that i had to compare.
i know it's kindda pricey but i think it worth it
i see Dynaudio is pricey too and it seems more popular here in CL.

i also liked CDT audio. next time when i do my car project CDT is the one. anyone has this?

it's all diff. tastes........

Old 04-02-02, 09:07 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Focals are a little harsh in high frequency department for most audiophiles. They would sound so much better with their TLR tweeters!
Old 04-02-02, 09:10 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Eyikes!

TLR...the wierd looking ones with the dual waveguides...

Percy
Old 04-03-02, 02:03 PM
blitz
Pole Position

Originally posted by Percy
Eyikes!

TLR...the wierd looking ones with the dual waveguides...

Percy
yes, the weird looking ones...

i like them too...but it's kindda big in size for a mobile.
i still think the utopia's tweeters are nice enough.
Old 04-03-02, 02:31 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Remember Me??

Blitz - I guess I'm the resident Focal guru on this board! U'll find several of the members who have strong brand loyalties - Percy likes Dynaudio, Retro's the Imagine Dynamics man & I utilize Focal in my USAC system. Still, after demo'ing some Dyns, I AM impressed. BTW - I don't like the Supertweeter ( TN 45X0 ) but have the 165 K's in my kickpanels & the 7" midbass ( XPERT 7KX )in the front doors.
Old 04-03-02, 02:39 PM
blitz
Pole Position

right on, mean gene.

i love Focal. even they are expensive i had to skip my lunch when i was in a high school and saved money for the first component system.

I LOVE FOCAL!!!!

ps> TN45 is nice enough and TN51 is the real utopia, that you can see and hear.

TN45 was the best tweeter that i hear(TN51 is better, you can't really tell the difference when you drive). hey, i tried almost every tweeters. maybe you can say TN45 is my taste.

Old 04-03-02, 09:05 PM
sirsomo
Pole Position

I also like Focal. I am running 6.5 polykevlar components up front. I like Dynaudio and Rainbow but Focal is the best value imo.
Old 04-03-02, 09:57 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Thats the whole thing. If you like Focal and MB Quart chances are you are not going to like Dyns, Rainbows and A/D/S. I will still run my Rainbows...non of the mentioned speakers above can't touch Pro's midbass and midrange...Dyns tweets are cool.
Old 04-04-02, 06:26 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Wink U Rich?!!

D***, Retro - U must be a rich man to be running those $7500 Rainbows!! Seriously, haven't heard too much bad stuff about Rainbows but also haven't heard them, period. Big disadvantage of living in a small town - heck, they never heard of Focal, ID or Dyns around here ( big MBQ crowd, though ). BTW - PLEASE don't lump MBQ ( now RF ) lovers in with those of us who like Focal ( even though I know the Supertweeter's quite bright ).
Old 04-04-02, 12:59 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Oh no, I don't run those, my friend does
I'd rather buy a TT for my car...priorities you know. I run a 3way Pro set. The one you are thinking about is Refference set. I will soon be upgrading t Vanadiums but they are not in US yet.

http://www.rainbow-car-audio.com/home/index.htm
Old 04-04-02, 01:06 PM
BabaBooey
Driver

Default Re: Remember Me??

Originally posted by Mean Gene
Blitz - I guess I'm the resident Focal guru on this board! U'll find several of the members who have strong brand loyalties - Percy likes Dynaudio, Retro's the Imagine Dynamics man & I utilize Focal in my USAC system. Still, after demo'ing some Dyns, I AM impressed. BTW - I don't like the Supertweeter ( TN 45X0 ) but have the 165 K's in my kickpanels & the 7" midbass ( XPERT 7KX )in the front doors.
You may get to hear some DD's around summertime, so keep the sound of those Dyn's in your head so you can compare. The one person that I know of that's heard both has preffered the DD's, and they cost about 1/3 the price.
Old 04-04-02, 07:57 PM
blitz
Pole Position

Originally posted by retrodrive
Thats the whole thing. If you like Focal and MB Quart chances are you are not going to like Dyns, Rainbows and A/D/S. I will still run my Rainbows...non of the mentioned speakers above can't touch Pro's midbass and midrange...Dyns tweets are cool.
ahhhhh`~~~~~ MB Quart...

how come people compare MBQ and Focal?????

that's like CIVIC and LEXUS..:eek: :eek:

when i went to CES show this year (by the way, i work for speaker manuf. company), i cound see that $8000 rainbow sets...

(LOL)^2, and i asked the guy at that booth, " why is that so expensive??" and he said "it's hand maded. "

wow.:eek: wow:eek:

ok. ok. hand maded...what a great answer!

what? i can't understand. whoz hand? president? ripped. i bet the manuf. spent no more than $100 per sets.

$7000 is pretty ***** $$$. i mean a component set for $7000? are you out of your mind? i will buy a set of Focal and donate to homeless people.

ps> oh! please compare that MBQ to sony and kenwood. no kidding.
ps^2> like i said focal, sony, rockford, dyns, rainbows, and so on..... it's all different with your tastes.

Last edited by blitz; 04-04-02 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-04-02, 08:23 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Blitz,

I have a SERIOUS issue with Rainbow Reference (7k$) speakers. For ONE thing, they won't publish their distortion ratings like Dynaudio does. For another, they won't even publish their frequency response graphs. THIS IS CONSIDERED GENERAL INFORMATION. Their advertising (hype) says their advertised frequency is within 0.1db variance. NO SPEAKER THAT I KNOW OF will do a 0.1db variance...heck, even electronics have a difficult time of 0.1 db! BTW...manufacturers will usually go for a +/- 10db (20 db swing) for rating their speakers.

When I asked about the frequency and distortion graphs, I got a very interesting email. They asked "Why?". I told them I was comparing them to the Dynaudio car audio and the ESOTAR series. They said they'll "Check into it" but haven't heard word since.

For 7 grand they had better have some REAL and REPEATABLE lab measurements. I have a Bruel and Kjaer RTA system available to make sure it does the job.

The "hand made" thing...Dynaudio does this. 86 quality checks and it's still THE most comprehensive in the industry. Even the hard core audiophiles in Europe will nod respectfully at the Dyns.

My guess is that Rainbow Audio is running scared at the mention of Dynaudio Esotar. I'll try to request graphs from them again, but for a company that is SO RELUCTANT to give out info leaves me with the feeling that they're HIDING the FACTS.

Percy

Originally posted by blitz

ahhhhh`~~~~~ MB Quart...

how come people compare MBQ and Focal?????

that's like CIVIC and LEXUS..:eek: :eek:

when i went to CES show this year (by the way, i work for speaker manuf. company), i cound see that $8000 rainbow sets...

(LOL)^2, and i asked the guy at that booth, " why is that so expensive??" and he said "it's hand maded. "

wow.:eek: wow:eek:

ok. ok. hand maded...what a great answer!

what? i can't understand. whoz hand? president? ripped. i bet the manuf. spent no more than $100 per sets.

$7000 is pretty ***** $$$. i mean a component set for $7000? are you out of your mind? i will buy a set of Focal and donate to homeless people.

ps> oh! please compare that MBQ to sony and kenwood. no kidding.
ps^2> like i said focal, sony, rockford, dyns, rainbows, and so on..... it's all different with your tastes.
Old 04-04-02, 08:47 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Lemmi ask my friend who owns them send me some info. I suppose it comes with some gold plated manuals. I have never heard Dynaudio speakers sounding even close to Rainbow Refference set.
Old 04-04-02, 09:01 PM
blitz
Pole Position

Originally posted by Percy
they're HIDING the FACTS.
that's what i am saying!

and futhermore; i don't always trust that graph things. that's just for some info. to me. and the installation can make that graph much clear! remember, it's not a home audio.

Quick Reply: no one likes Focal here??