Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

02 GS300 Stock Navigation System vs After Market Touch Screen Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-09, 09:20 PM
MrMarkus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 02 GS300 Stock Navigation System vs After Market Touch Screen Navigation

Hi new to the forum....and loving this site by the way!!!

I am purchasing an 02 GS300 tomorrow that has a stock navigation system. From what I can remember the hvac controls are located just above the stock monitor. I have a Clarion Double Din that I was planning on installing in the car but not sure if possible due to the hvac location. I've seen aftermarket units installed on the GS but all those models didn't have a stock navi system.

My question is it still possible for me to take out the stock navigation system and replace it with an aftermarket one? If not can I add a rearview backup camera to the stock navigation/screen? Please help.
Old 07-02-09, 04:39 PM
MrMarkus
Driver School Candidate

Default Need help/answers ASAP!!! Please help!?!

So I held off on my purchase simply because of the Stock stereo/monitor/navigation. I'm debating about purchasing a different GS300 that doesn't have the monitor just so I can replace with my Clarion Doube Din monitor.

I really want to purchase this GS simply because it's in almost perfect condition, low miles and a Sport Edition, however I don't think it's possible or worth paying the money at least to removing the stock monitor and navigation system simply to add my after market monitor on.

I called Lexus dealership they informed me that I would probably have to purchase a separate computer module for the HVAC unit ($400) and the HVAC front face plate that has the buttons ($600) even then they still weren't sure if it would work!

Please help!!! any info would be much appreciated. Looking at another GS today simply because it doesn't have a stock monitor, but I have a feeling I will go back tomorrow and pick up the GS300 sport because of it's condition.

I have already pulled out my Clarion double din (which also has my ipod hook up, dvd player, sirius radio and blue tooth) from my other car and would much rather use that than the stock stereo/monitor/navigation.
Old 07-02-09, 05:20 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

It's either you can do your double din Clarion and you can use your imagination on the A/C controls to operate it. Or you can get an amp and upgrade your speakers and sub for about 1k. I too running the Nav with ML with apline speakers, fosgate sub, and fosgate amp. It sounds good. GL with your journey.
Old 07-02-09, 06:50 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMarkus
I called Lexus dealership they informed me that I would probably have to purchase a separate computer module for the HVAC unit ($400) and the HVAC front face plate that has the buttons ($600) even then they still weren't sure if it would work!
I suspect the dealer is giving you inaccurate information.

Several people on this forum have replaced the OEM nav on a 98-00 GS with the HVAC controls from a non-nav GS and a double DIN head unit. Each have said that the HVAC connectors on a nav 98-00 GS plug right into the HVAC control module from a non-nav GS. Nobody has said anything about needing "a separate computer module for the HVAC unit".

The HVAC control module appears to be the same for all non-nav 98 -05 GS -- or at least that is the way they are advertised on eBay. I see a used non-nav HVAC module for a 98-05 GS on eBay today for a starting bid price (no bids yet) of $79.95 and a "buy it now" price of $124.95 -- a typical price range from what I've seen.

You might try doing a search of this forum for one of the threads I am talking about.
Old 07-05-09, 06:57 PM
MrMarkus
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the info guys! so i ended up buying the 02 GS300 sport design with the stock navi. I am still doing a little more research before I actually decide to take out the stock navi (if i decide to go that route) Kansas thanks for the info greatly appreciated...GS4 fiend thnks for responding. FYI if i decide to add the clarion unit to me it would be a no brainer to change out the ML speakers and amp/sub.

I do have one more question though. I noticed that in the rear deck there's a 10" sub mounted. Does anyone know if I can do a direct replacement with a JL 10" W6? I understand if i change the stock sub I would have to add a new amp which I already have but i'm concerned about the weight of the JL sub. will it hold? will it even hit being that it's not in a enclosed box?
Old 07-05-09, 10:31 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if i were you, i would NOT take out the stock navi, because it simply looks better (not the graphics but the overall interior layout) It's very hard to find GS3 with Navi option, hope you dont tear apart you new ride...
Old 07-08-09, 12:48 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

if you want to upgrade your factory nav you can get used 4th gen computer which is much faster and has improved graphics. also the gs screen is exacdtly the same as the lx470 screen electronically so has a port on the back for plugging in dvd movie player which would play through the factory ampand would show on the ascreen with full touchscreen control of it. ..................................................................... also 2002 gs radios anjd screens supports vaistech ipod and xm adapters so i donr know why you would buy some made in china aftermarket system when all your parts were made in japan and will last 20 to 30 years. it sounds like your system is still funtioning after 8 years. do aftermarket systems last 8 years? ................................................................................. my local high end stereo shop (soundwaves)went out of business because the high end alpine aftermarket units couldnt even make it to there 1 year warranty and alpine wouldnt make good on them. also the value of your vehicle would go down not up if you replace the stereo with aftermarket. there are no used lexus cars on dealer lots with afermarket stereos or navs in them. so upgrading your factory nav is the way to go not switching it out which would cost you several thousand dollars just to equal what you have now. much more money to make it sound better with all new speakers amps etc.
Old 07-18-09, 02:06 PM
AC430
Rookie

Default Check out this thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ctory-nav.html