Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Alarm Keeps Going Off By Itself - HELP !!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-09, 11:04 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Alarm Keeps Going Off By Itself - HELP !!

Ok so first off I have an '01 GS430 and I just installed a Clifford Matrix 12.5x alarm with tilt sensor and everything was great for about 2 weeks, until a couple nights ago, the alarm starting going off every so often by itself and showing me on the lcd screen that that trunk was setting it off. I checked and the trunk is fine, this happened about 4 or 5 times until I got tired of walking outside at 2-5 Am to turn it off and I left it in valet mode. It's been like that ever since, any ideas?
Old 07-03-09, 11:34 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
Ok so first off I have an '01 GS430 and I just installed a Clifford Matrix 12.5x alarm with tilt sensor and everything was great for about 2 weeks, until a couple nights ago, the alarm starting going off every so often by itself and showing me on the lcd screen that that trunk was setting it off. I checked and the trunk is fine, this happened about 4 or 5 times until I got tired of walking outside at 2-5 Am to turn it off and I left it in valet mode. It's been like that ever since, any ideas?
How did u connect the trunk sense?
Old 07-04-09, 01:43 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

I'm not sure since I didn't install it, I had a reputable shop install it for me. When I took it to them they thought it may be that the computer is sending a pulse to check the sensors and for some reason the trunk sensor is firing off, so they installed a diode to block the signal to the trunk but that didn't work. Now the think that the factory pin in the trunk might be messed up so they're planning on replacing that. Any other advice from anyone who has maybe had this problem before?
Old 07-04-09, 01:52 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I'm not sure since I didn't install it, I had a reputable shop install it for me. When I took it to them they thought it may be that the computer is sending a pulse to check the sensors and for some reason the trunk sensor is firing off, so they installed a diode to block the signal to the trunk but that didn't work.
Did they offer this as a solution to the problem, or as part of their troubleshooting routine? If the former, then "reputable" needs to leave your vocabulary when discussing that shop since their move would effectively leave your trunk open to intrusion.

Now the think that the factory pin in the trunk might be messed up so they're planning on replacing that. Any other advice from anyone who has maybe had this problem before?
That would have been my first thought - trunk pins do malfunction more often than a brand new sensor going off sheer volume. We've discussed this same issue before, so I'd recommend a search, too.

Big Mack
Old 07-04-09, 02:28 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

When they installed the diode it was only to block the signal being sent TO the trunk, not back from it. I tested the trunk after leaving and when I opened it while it was armed the alarm still went off, but after about an hour of having the car in my driveway after getting home, it went off by itself again. That was their first solution, thinking it would solve the problem, when it didn't fix it, they ordered the new pin for me, now I'm just waiting for it to arrive to get it installed. And yes I can still leave reputable in my vocabulary because they are very widely known here in Miami and do spectacular work, not to mention stand behind their work and products.

I was just hoping maybe someone here has had this problem before and can share their experience so I can let the shop know of any other potential causes for the misfire.
Old 07-04-09, 02:36 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

When they installed the diode it was only to block the signal being sent TO the trunk, not back from it. I tested the trunk after leaving and when I opened it while it was armed the alarm still went off, but after about an hour of having the car in my driveway after getting home, it went off by itself again. That was their first solution, thinking it would solve the problem, when it didn't fix it, they ordered the new pin for me, now I'm just waiting for it to arrive to get it installed. And yes I can still leave reputable in my vocabulary because they are very widely known here in Miami and do spectacular work, not to mention stand behind their work and products.
Like I said, if they offered it as a solution instead of using it as a troubleshooting method, I'd question it. Sounds like they are the latter from my post, which is good.

I was just hoping maybe someone here has had this problem before and can share their experience so I can let the shop know of any other potential causes for the misfire.
I thought of the pin, which had already been mentioned and it was mentioned in the other thread with a similar issue presenting itself, that's why I recommended the search.

Big Mack
Old 07-04-09, 03:33 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Like I said, if they offered it as a solution instead of using it as a troubleshooting method, I'd question it. Sounds like they are the latter from my post, which is good.

I thought of the pin, which had already been mentioned and it was mentioned in the other thread with a similar issue presenting itself, that's why I recommended the search.

Big Mack
Thanks for the help, I'll try searching when I get home, I dont have too much time to search while at work lol
Old 11-21-13, 04:20 PM
tagcvg
Driver School Candidate

We have an alarm in our Lexus that is the original equipment. About one month ago it began to go off by itself if the car was parked outside in the cold weather. This has happened about 4 times now and each and every time the car alarm won't stop with the key fob buttons. You have to physically take the key and insert it into the driver's door lock. Once this is done the alarm stops. Could this be a short in our alarm system or possibly low batteries in the key fob. Our keys are not anywhere near the vehicle when this alam occurs. Please advise.... neighbors are not happy!